classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Bodywork.. Ford Pop 103E
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
bertie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Bodywork.. Ford Pop 103E Reply with quote

Hi. I havent posted for a while due to circumstances, but I finally had a few hours to go and get Bertie out on the road for a while. He started within a few seconds and drove impeccably, apart from a little judder on the first application of the brakes, then all was well. 3 miles later, I was back at the house and got cracking with the camera, detailing body issues (posh words for tinworm and poor finishing!) which will be addressed in the new year. All repair work I`m pretty sure I can undertake myself, although my youngest son on being introduced to him reckoned that if I was going to do anything I ought to go the whole hog and do a "nut and bolt". Unfortunately, money is the God I have to bow to, and since he will never be wet driven I have decided to repair rather than replace the panels which need addressing. The following pictures show what needs doing, and I`m pleased to state that none of it appears to be structural....

Well, that is the worst of it. The roof guttering is going to be the biggest challenge I think! On the plus side of things, the underneath has been
thoroughly Waxoiled, including the wooden floor....

For all that needs doing, he still looks good as a whole though and is immense fun to drive-road potholes and their effect on crossply tyres apart! It might have 17" wheels but tyres approx 4" wide Shocked

Driving him back, the temporary good weather broke and he was engulfed in a deluge Sad . I crossed my fingers and switched on the vacuum wiper which I suspect had only been used for MoT purposes! A few small jerks and off it went like a little piston complete with the hissing....superb! As I arrived at the garage, said wiper fell off Laughing I retrieved and refitted it, using a new rubber dowel I found in the box of bits I`d been given with it....a good day. Thanks for reading, back soon!
angiebaby

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Bertie's Body Reply with quote

Some excellent photography there. He does need some attention, and you will enjoy doing it I'm sure. I agree that on the whole he looks really good. Enjoy!!
bertie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya. Not too sure about the excellent photography ( involuntary tremors had other ideas! Sad ) but there is enough to be getting on with though. Its all good fun-and Ben is looking forward to the respray I`m glad to say! Razz
Richard H

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to take a drill mounted wire brush to the roof gutters and see exactly what is under that bubbling. Lovely looking car though, and not a lot to do really. Good luck Very Happy

Richard.
JR FLYWHEEL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: As Posted Reply with quote

Hi Bertie,

Its been a while since ive been on here. ( been gardening for the wife Rolling Eyes )

May i say as a fellow pop owner, Ive enjoyed looking at your photos. Would you please send in more photos when you start any bodywork or mechanical repair work.

Nice motor you have there.

Regards JRF.
Greg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice car, a little bit of bodywork to do, as you say but nothing major by the looks of it. I have the same car and there are a few small places that will need attention but being in totally original condition, I'm trying to keep it like that as long as possible, then maybe one day a full restoration, but again it's having the money and space!
When tackling the bodywork, as you are probably aware, be careful of the main body area especially around where you are going to work on the gutters as there are two joints that are 'lead loaded', one approximately above the centre of the door, the other, centre of the rear side window.
As I say, you probably know this, but just wanted to say before you get the power tools out Smile
All the best,
Greg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: