classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Austin Devon A40 1948
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
rschibber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Austin Devon A40 1948 Reply with quote

The Austin was bought in England by my uncle Otto. He worked at Rolls Royce manufactures turbines for the Gloster Meteor aircraft. He brought to Buenos Aires in 1948. Since then we have it in the family. In the Austin learned to drive my mother and I when I was eight years old. I always like the letter A bonnet. I was fascinated by trafficators. I decided to restore it and work began in December 2005. The work was hard and I took over three years. Even still improving all the details. The Austin passed the technical verification vehicle. Brake well. The suspension and shock absorbers work perfectly. Looks like a car 0 Km
There are little Austin A40 Devon in Argentina. There are only five counting mine.The car was purchased with LHD because my uncle would return very soon to Argentina
I keep all the tools he brought the car and others besides my uncle bought and have also been restored. Keep a set of Tap & Dies BSF who were very helpful when restoring screws and nuts. I also have a set of socket wrenches mark Gordon
The Austin is one of the family and occupies a privileged place. I am very proud to roll through the streets of Buenos Aires. Thanks England for making cars that seem so special artwork. They have something that appeals and it is not easy to explain. It compares to the Beatles. Time passes but they are always current
I want to show some photos.

[img]

[/img]

[img]

My Web is
[/img]http://sites.google.com/site/rschibber/

[img][/img]Original registration number plate when Austin was in England

[img][/img]

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbplw2_austin-runing-in_auto

This video shows the Austin in his first start of the route. Since it was completed much of the restoration and the motor was adjusted to new, not more than 800 km
Still in the running in stage. The movie became a sepia tone to give a vintage look and remember my time when I was a child. Now my daughters make a companion to relive that period of my childhood in the decade of the fifties

[img] Hospital Universitario Austral[/img]

[img]
A pleasant trip to my work at the University Hospital. I am a cardiologist.[/img]

[img]
[img][/img]Original set BSF Tap & Die and socket wrenches and bought in England in 1948

[img]
The box was painted BRITOOL but you can see that even tubes remain in the background the original factory greased. This box was wrapped in the original paper greased

[img][/img]
[img]
Jack and original tire . We keep up the lantern that we used in the car, which was bought in England and which was sold as a backlog of material from the Second Great War[/img]

[img] He is my dear uncle Otto. He taught me to love England.[/img]

Other Austin
I present a collector car Austin Jeronimo Luis Cajeao who with his father in the state of Cordoba are dedicated to restore Austin. They are very detailed and perfectionistic
I proposed doing a Club of Austin in Argentina with the aim of registering all Austin from my country.

[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]Austin Dorset prior to restoration

[img] Austin 8 1947
[/img]
Autoclásica 2009
This is an Austin A50 1956 that was presented at the annual exhibition Autoclásica, which is the most important and largest in Argentina.
This is the first Austin which was exhibited at this event
[img][/img]

AUSTIN CAR CLUB ARGETINA

[url]http://sites.google.com/site/austincarclubargentina/home
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

[img]
Scooter Vespa GS 150 1960 bought in New York. My uncle Otto I give it to me in 1961. The scooter is in its original state. Never restored. You can see the original sticker Scooter Camrod New York where it was purchased. I just replace the tires for safety. The spare tire is factory original and dated April 1960.
[img]
[/img]
[img][/img]
Vespa original keys with the original keychain Camrod New York Scooter 1961
[img]
[/img]

Last edited by rschibber on Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:53 am; edited 28 times in total
clan chieftain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A beautiful well kept car. Was it bought as LHD or has it been converted.
Beetlefan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have made a terrific job of that restoration,Well done!!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a lovely car!! thanks for posting the photographs. The early Devons have smaller headlamps than the later cars, mine is a 1949 year car and has the larger 7 inch lamps.

rgds, Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A magnificent effort!
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Greg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a beautiful looking car, excellent job of restoration and a lovely addition to have the tools still.
I think it is great that the car has been kept in the family and is well cared for.
Thank you for posting the pictures and the history, an intresting read.
All the best,
Greg

.....Uncle Otto had great taste in cars Smile
peppiB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabulous car and restoration - well done
Ashley

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are a marvellous old car and very underrated IMO. About 45 years ago I bought one for £11, it was parked behind a local garage, had been hand painted grey, but the inside was okay but scruffy. I hauled it, put a battery on it, started it and submitted it for an MOT. Although it had been off the road for over a year it passed and I drove it off to the Tax office.

Believe it or not I drove it flat out for over 20,000 miles without any sort of trouble at all, apart from tyres and relining the front brakes. It always rattled its big ends on left hand corners but the crank didn't fail. After a year or so I decided to buy something more modern and better and I sold it for £15. To this day I miss that old car and regret not having rebuilt it, because it was so reliable and so tough. Therefore it is a real pleasure to see someone has done one up properly and loves it.

I really hope you get many years of pleasure from that lovely old car made by one of the truly great car companies before it was destroyed by government interference, unions and the rest of it.

Ash
Penman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick
The shape of the rear body below the bootlid seems different compared with the pics in the main site albums, or is it just the position type of rear bumper that makes it look different?

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi Rick
The shape of the rear body below the bootlid seems different compared with the pics in the main site albums, or is it just the position type of rear bumper that makes it look different?

yes the bumpers, and overriders, are slightly larger than mine. The profile of the body looks the same.

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: