classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Spam?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Scotty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Spam? Reply with quote

I was reading Admins thread regarding the amount of spam the site was receiving and it reminded me of a question I've asked on other forums -

Has anybody here ever bought anything from a spam e-mail?

I haven't spoken with anybody yet who will say "yes", and I keep wondering just how lucrative it is for these people to send them out. I know all about the statistics about 1 e-mailing with only 10 responses makes it worthwhile - but just how many thousands, millions do these idiots have to send.

Likewise, are the actual companies who are listed in the spam e-mails ever challenged by the ISP companies / Microsoft / Government?

Just me wondering. Rolling Eyes
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the big reasons for spamming forums (as opposed to email spam) is the gathering of inbound links to a spammers site from other web pages.

Search engines can interpret links from site A to site B, as a 'vote' for site B (ie site A thinks its worth linking to site B so lets place a bit more credit for site B, and improve its position within the search engine results). Thats one of the big reasons for so much automated spam being flooded into all forums

As for spam email, well some emails are designed to dupe people into handing over their login details, whether for a bank, paypal, or whatever. It only takes (as you say) 1 person per 10000 emails to fall for it, and its been worthwhile for the criminal.

Rolling Eyes Confused

Rick
Scotty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know Rick, I always feel spam mail is a bit like "the girlie magazine lying in the canteen" - everybody reads it, nobody ever owns up to having bought it, but somebody did.

I think spams are a bit like that, not that I would ever buy anything from one even if I am suffering from erectile disfunction and searching for a hot babe tonite! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: