classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Off the road
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
bertie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Off the road Reply with quote

Hello again. Its been a while since I last put a post on here, and I thought on this cold winter`s evening its about time I did! Due to the rather terrible weather, the old guy

is off the road. Any attempt by me to bring him out I`m sure I`d regret in a few months as reams of suede would appear in copius amounts. It`s so tempting to fish him out as he`s a delight to drive(no, really!) because quite simply he handles so well due to his 17" wheels-although each tyre is about 4" wide! At Christmas, my sons gave me a present specifically for him (my eldest,Ant,doesnt really like him to be honest Sad but is polite about my enthusiasm..Ben when he first saw him I think was suitably impressed and his girlfriend Char was too - although all 3 would REALLY prefer to see an American V8 under the bonnet instead of a sewing machine Laughing ).I digress. The present was well thought out

Its an electric fuel pump ( apologies for the picture quality, digi camera on the blink-this is off my mobile ) which will completely remove any further repeats of the infamous Pop fuel evaporation problems which he suffered from on the way back from Wiltshire in September when I drove him back- 3 times! Tomorrow I`ll be going up to where he`s garaged 3 miles from here (cheers, Annie) to fire him up and run his engine for a few minutes especially as the temperatures have dropped well into the minuses. He`s well antifreezed, but all the same...While I`m there, it would be an idea to find a suitable discreet place in the fuel line to place the pump. Needless to say, I`ll take pictures of my handiwork for the general amusement of all Laughing ! Thanks for reading, catch you soon.. Very Happy
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Looks a good plan, and a good prezzie come to that!

I would be suitably impressed if my Father had come home with such a car, and I love the ford sidevalve sound! I do hate the evaporation thing though, been in that situation a few times!

Cheers

Dave
JR FLYWHEEL

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: As posted Reply with quote

Hello Bertie, Its nice to see the photo of your pop on here.

May i just say on the subject of the dreaded vapours, please think about a fuel pump heat shield before you fit an electric fuel pump. This solved my problems with vapourisation. I have posted a photo of my own pump. I have had no further problems.

Good luck JRH
bertie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: fuel pump Reply with quote

Hiya. There is already a fuel pump heat shield fitted, but very basic. I get the idea that whoever fitted it was grasping at straws a little as there is also some plastic tubing attached with zip ties funneling air from the radiator grille to the carburetter..hmmm Rolling Eyes I took the pump off a while ago,stripped,cleaned and rebuilt it using two fibre gaskets with silicone to re-attach it to the block in an attempt to reduce heat transfer. This appears to have done the trick with no re-occurence, but it has yet to be tested on a long run! Since my lads bought me the pump, it would be a shame not to use it tho... Smile
Richard H

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with it Bertie, looks like an interesting rolling project you've got there. Out of interest, what make is the fuel pump as it doesn't look like the SU type most commonly fitted to old cars?

Cheers Very Happy

Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: