classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Leaf spring refurb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
andycars

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Leaf spring refurb Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a firm which can recondition leaf springs within drop-off/pick-up distance of S Wales (e.g. Bristol?).

Also, is anyone on here familiar with the process - e.g. are springs reset to the correct curvature/distance between eyes before retempering? Are they normally stripped/derusted/cleaned as part of the service?

Someone suggested a blacksmith but I would think there is a little more involved than straightforward heat-treatment.

I'm interested in getting a pair done for a Ford Anglia 105e but would like to know more.

Andrew
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are worn with ridges across caused by the ends of the leaves above or badly corroded then reprofiling and retempering will not last long and they will sag or crack.

They are easily made from new but only if suitable steel strip is available to use - there are some cheap Chinese steels that are not good
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaf spring refurb Reply with quote

andycars wrote:

Also, is anyone on here familiar with the process - e.g. are springs reset to the correct curvature/distance between eyes before retempering? Are they normally stripped/derusted/cleaned as part of the service?

Andrew

The "set" sometimes wrongly called "camber" of a spring results from each leaf being formed to the correct curvature and tempered individually before being assembled.

Some blacksmiths used to undertake this work, but few had the correct information to get the radius of each leaf right. The problems with too little set are usually with load carrying. Too much set will reduce the Caster Angle of the steering which may make the car "wander".

One re-fitting tip :- NEVER tighten the shackle pins with the car jacked up. Lower it to the floor and drive it over some bumps, or at least bounce it fairly violently to settle everything in the normal position and tighten the nuts without jacking it up again. Failure to do that will probably leave the car standing high at the rear and will definitely cause premature failure of the silent-bloc bushes, which will be permanently under strain.
michael1703

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only good company i know of are in london

BROST FORGE
Address: Unit 7, 149, Roman Way, Caledonian Road, London N7 8XH
Phone: 020 7607 2311
Fax: 020 7619 0370

you could courier the springs cheap enough,

www.parcel2go.com
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fails on being in striking distance of South Wales, but these folk are worth a call www.rossroadsprings.co.uk

Paul
47p2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can recommend Brost Forge. Worth speaking with them
andycars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the very helpful replies.
Andrew
cswagon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try owensprings.co.uk
I know they're in Yorkshire but they did a good delivery service when I needed some for my Land Rover.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: