classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Aeroplane bar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Historic Aviation
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Aeroplane bar Reply with quote

Received this snippet the other day, from an old magazine in the early 50s I think...a snack bar in Canada made from 2 Liberator bombers

wonder if thats still there? brings to mind a garage I've seen pics of, with a B17 Flying Fortress perched on the roof - is that still there? I can't remember offhand... Question Question

A Lockheed Constellation was parked up in Portugal, destined to be made into a bar at one time, but I don't think the plan ever went ahead (this must have been in the 80s I think). Any other examples of aero-diners and such like that anyone can think of?

Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, the garage that you are thinking about is in Oregon, USA. The aircraft is a 1944 B-17G. At one time, it was one of the largest filling stations in the USA, with over 40 petrol pumps under the wings!!!! Exclamation Exclamation

I think it still exists, but if I remember correctly as a restauant. Although I will freely admit that I am not exactly sure. Rolling Eyes
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for emailing the pic UJ, it set me off looking online, seems like the B17 is being restored, although my understanding (?) is that the aero is no longer atop the restaurant, and that it won't be going back on there when finally restored

http://www.thebomber.com/Restoration.asp

Rick
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this one is neat too, based around a Stratocruiser/Stratofreighter:

http://www.ruudleeuw.com/search104.htm
http://www.contechconstructioncompany.com/index.php?page=Projects

and the sad story of the Portuguese Constellation I mentioned before:
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
http://www.conniesurvivors.com/5N-83H.htm

Another Connie:
http://www.43places.com/places/view/657434

Of course, some people would rather live in an aeroplane, in this case a Boeing 727 Cool Cool
http://www.airplanehome.com/

Rick
moggiedriver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Liberators aren't Liberators (USAF, twin fins) they are Privateers (US Navy, single fins) and would be rare as the proverbial if they still existed.
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah thanks Moggie, that'll teach me to take something at face value. Something didn't quite seem right I must confess, but I assumed it was just me!! Rolling Eyes

Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be pedantic, anal etc. etc.

It was the USAAF that had B-24 Liberators...and the last one was produced on May 31 1945, a few years before the USAF was formed. So whilst they could have belonged to the USAF, technicaly, they would have got them 'secondhand.'

There was a B-24 with a single tailfin, the B-24N.

Dont you all just hate a knowall!!!!! Laughing
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooo the plot thickens!

Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should all know by now, I like everything that burns fuel..... Laughing Laughing
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect most people around here can claim that Very Happy

even the caravan-only fans like fuel - Calor Gas Very Happy

Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that some of the caravan-only fans prefer paraffin. Calor gas is just too modern! Very Happy
moggiedriver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes looking at my bookshelf, the B24N had the single fin but also had a glazed nose. The nose configuration in the pictures does not match this but does match the consolidated C87C (Liberator C.IX, USAAF, RAF and RY-3, US NAVY) This nose shape is very different to any of the bomber versions and is specific to transport variants. Shocked
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After having a long look at the photo, I'm going to suggest that the aircraft is a PB4Y-2 Privateer. Does anyone agree or disagree with this?

To be on the safe side though, and satisfy my own curiosity, I've just mailed an aviation expert that I know to confirm / deny my suggestion.

Comments anyone?

UJ
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just received the following reply from my friend regarding these aircraft:

"With regard to the mystery photo I can only provide the following info, nothing definite I am afraid.

Re the nose, it was not unusual for a ‘factory’ nose to be fitted to bomber variants for delivery from assy. line to MU for fitting out. However the glazing at the front and the side was not always a feature going by the references that I have. It is not a Scottish Aviation nose mod fitted to many bombers after the war for conversion to transport use; the shape and glazing is wrong. It is more likely to be either factory or a mod done at Dorval by Canadian Aircraft / Avro Canada, if not an original transport build.

The single fin indicates PB4Y-2 Privateer heritage and there is no evidence of de-icer boots which might make it a later build (hot air ducted L/E?) a/c.

The quality of the pic does not help, but they appear to show no evidence of the bomb doors which leads me in the direction of the transport versions, C-87 (15-20 pax) and C87A (6-8 VIP config). This is supported b the nose, particularly the LH a/c. However they were fitted with 7 large rectangular windows in each of the fuselage sides but these may have been blanked over, particularly if they were broken as would be likely on an aircraft with wings removed and stripped etc.

The following is taken from the RCAF site
A Consolidated C-87 RY-3 Privateer was loaned to the RCAF by the RAF in 1946. The first of the "Rockcliffe Ice Wagons", the aircraft was later replaced by a purpose-modified Canadair North Star.
The RY-3 was a military transport version of the PB4Y-2 Privateer which itself was a modified version of the Liberator featuring a single fin and lengthened fuselage. The "Rockcliffe Ice Wagon" was primarily used for in-flight de-icing tests along with other cloud seeding experiments.

Once more, any comments anyone?
Stuchamp

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, you definitely have the correct aircraft.
I'm guessing the nose and fuselage panels were redone to blend in architecturely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Historic Aviation All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: