classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Changing gearbox fluid.Good or bad idea?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Changing gearbox fluid.Good or bad idea? Reply with quote

I've heard conflicting reports as to wether changing automatic gearbox oil is a good or bad idea.Some say the change is pointless unless the box is stripped as it stirs up more rubbish than it removes,others that old fluid alters in viscosity and is thus worn out.
Any thoughts ?.
47p2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old ATF is full of swarf water and other contaminants. Best to change it sooner rather than later.

If you are draining it out of the sump I don't see how it can stir up any rubbish
mid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my daily driver (98 BMW 5 series) has a so called 'sealed for life' gear box...even BMW suggest changing the oil and filters before 100k miles and then more regularly afterwards.
47Jag

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mid,

The problem with BMWs is that the dealer has to do it. There's no filler tube and I think it's a plug on the side of the gearbox. I got an E34 done about 10 years ago after a cooler leak. I think they charge about 1/2 hour labour plus materials.

Art
michael1703

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you cant drain all the oil out of an automatic, the torque converter will keep its oil unless you physically removed it and drained it

the torque converter will be where the swarf collects

btw.... if you get near mendlesham way i can sell you some new stuff cheap, ive got gallons of the stuff
47p2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you drain the oil from the sump then remove the king lead from the distributor and turn the engine over for 10 seconds you will remove most of what is in the torque convertor
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.I drained the box (it was pretty grotty the stuff that came out) then filled it and did the same thing again after a few days.The box is supposed to hold about a gallon but I could only get about half that out each time.
I still have the tails of dirt being disturbed and blocking oil ways ringing in my ears but (touch wood) apart from one reluctant gear change when I first filled it,its been OK.
P3steve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have the tails of dirt being disturbed and blocking oil ways ringing in my ears but (touch wood) apart from one reluctant gear change when I first filled it,its been OK.

The reluctant gear change was most likely just the fluid flushing out any air bubbles in the valve chest where you had drained it. Steve
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just realised I can't even spell "tales".
I think you're right Steve,since then the gearbox has performed well,it seems to work a bit better than with the old grubby fluid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: