classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

My 1957 A35 "Black Pig"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking better all the time - what do you want for the rad muff? (PM me if you prefer)

[edit - I might have some mirror arm extensions, can you take a close photo showing how the mirror head fits]

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Richard H

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rick, PM sent.

Here are the mirror stems:

The stems are approx. 4" long.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard Desmo Boomerangs - the mirror head which come in 3 oblong sizes and a round one has a course threaded capitivated loose stud with a flat on it to match the, in effect, D shaped hole in the stem.

Tex or Magnatex mirror heads will also fit reasonably well if the Desmo nut is used
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
47p2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this and thought you might be interested in it.

Not for the faint hearted
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Saw it at Hoghton Tower show about 3yrs ago, looks as if he has done a bit more to it.
The wheel is altered and I don't seem to remember the spider web.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a Mk2 A40 dash in there, overall a bit of an acquired taste Confused

R
Keef

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Looks like a Mk2 A40 dash in there

Yep, an early pre-imitation-wood one. Smile

Also has A40 seats.

=========
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

might give Rich H some ideas for his!!?? I'm already designing a gothic look for my van

RJ

Wink
clascar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be worth changing the oil in your gearbox, I did my Rapier and the difference was incredible. make sure you put the correct oil in.
Richard H

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman - 'Austintatious' was featured in the OC magazine a couple of years ago. Not to my taste, but I can certainly appreciate the work that has gone into it. I particularly like the flying A shaped indicators at the front Cool

Rick - Certainly not!! Wink

Ray - I have been told that the most likely cause of the non-existant synchro on 3rd and 4th gears is broken/rusted synchro springs, which are prone to breaking when the car is parked up for a long time. At some point I will definately replace the 'box, at the moment I'm just double-declutching it.

Spent the afternoon straightening out the original grille as it is cheaper than getting a new one, it's a slow process as the metal was pretty deformed in an accident many years ago Sad I still need a grille badge though.

Last week I had a lot of trouble with misfiring, so on Friday I changed the points, plugs, rotor arm, condenser, distributor cap and also a better 2nd hand distributor as the one that was on it had play in the rotor shaft. Everything seemed fine until returning home last night, it started misfiring and cut out in a layby about two miles from home. I dismantled the carb and blew through the jets to get me home, then this morning it cut out at a busy roundabout Embarassed so had to do the same thing. There wasn't a huge amount of dirt in there, but it looks like the recently fitted filter has failed Sad I should change the petrol tank, but don't really want the car off the road.
Richard H

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some recent pics:

And on a slightly less-snowy day Smile

The car has been totally reliable recently, starting first time every time no matter how damp, and trudging through the snow no problem. The only recent problem I've had is that one of the dynamo brush springs snapped and the dynamo stopped charging, which resulted in a nail biting drive home from Pitsea, at night, using sidelights right up until the last moment Shocked

All fixed now though Smile
Keef

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard H wrote:

The car has been totally reliable recently

They are good little motors. Smile

Some nice pics there as well.

=========
Richard H

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't updated this for a while. Touch wood, the A35 is running brilliantly, I used it all through the winter and had no problems with it, apart from leaving it parked outside one night with no antifreeze in it Shocked Went to start it in the morning and a core plug had popped. I was able to change it and luckily the engine escaped damage. A lesson learnt I think.

Recently I heard that lee1984 from this forum was breaking an A35 for spares. He doesn't live far away, so I went over for a look and was able to get loads of parts I'd been after for ages, including front and rear bumpers with overriders, front grille with badge and chrome surround (horseshoe) rear reflectors and flying A and base. Spent most of today fitting the parts:

Before: Bumper twisted and bent from an accident and from a tow rope, I spent some time straightening out and painting the original grille a few months back but never got it good enough.

Before: Twisted front valence.

After: Straightened out with molegrips, not perfect but an awful lot better.

Rear bumper fitted, and new reflectors replacing the damaged and missing originals, I was able to change the rubbers for better ones as well. Sorry about the picture quality.

New Flying A fitted, attatched to a very good base I already had, unfortunately it was a pain to fit due to the bonnet catch being twisted out of shape - I can only assume something went over the bonnet in the accident Shocked

And the finished result. (I know the car needs a wash!) I removed the numberplate (original Hills plate) and polished up the aluminium digits and border - they came up a treat Very Happy

Another recent job we did was change the gearbox. Early last year I spotted a late Minor gearbox on Ebay, 50p start, condition unknown. It was in Southend, and I ended up winning it for 50p! When we came to collect the man said forget about the 50p Razz

Anyway a couple of weeks ago we decided to fit the "ribbed" case 'box, together with a 1098 clutch and flywheel. The original clutch was slipping badly by this point, and turned out to be down to its rivets Rolling Eyes The car is now completely transformed though, the gearbox turned out to be in excellent condition, and coupled with a new clutch make it lovely to drive Very Happy

Jobs to do in the near future include: Change the rear hub seals as they are leaking, and change the rear brake shoes. A couple of areas of welding have to be done before the MOT (May), at the rear of the N/S sill and in the boot floor. Oh and check and top up the front shock absorbers.

If all goes to plan, she should be at the Austin/Morris day at Brooklands on Sunday Very Happy
andycars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a transformation! It's nice to see a car like that still being used as Austin intended. A real stroke of luck with the gearbox too; when your replacement is of unknown condition it's a lot of hassle to fit only to find it's no good (happened with my palm green A35 once). Glad that didn't happen to you.
Andrew
Keef

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Richard!

Makes it look even smarter than before; and it wasn't bad before. Smile

=========
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: