classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

[Moved] Idle Away an Hour or Two.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories
Scotty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: [Moved] Idle Away an Hour or Two. Reply with quote

At the museum we often get interested groups who visit and part of the visit we sometimes give them a selection of mystery objects to identify.

I sorted some out just before Christmas for the Shipping Curator, however the objects have nothing to do with shipping - we don't make it that easy for our guests! Twisted Evil

So just to idle away a bit of time and get your grey matter going what do you think this is (but I warn you now I don't know either, that's why I chose them in the first place - to get an answer)? -

(Admin - if this is in competition to a section somewhere else on the site, my apologies, I did look and didn't see anything other than the "Mystery Panels". You are most welcome to remove this thread if it is - I wouldn't be offended. Scotty. Wink )
admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go for it! I've got a few weird tools too, so when I remember (!) I'll photo them and put them on here too Very Happy

Rick
admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I know a few people are interested in old tools, I set up a new forum category and moved this thread over!

Rick
Scotty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin wrote:
I set up a new forum category and moved this thread over!

I thought I had imagined I posted this thread when I was in just now - went to "Off Topic" and there it wisn'y! Surprised

Thankfully I now see I'm not loosing it.
oldgoaly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a "toolaholic" i can not change, i am a toolaholic! I feel better now! Interesting clamp of some sort, can't say i've seen one before. a good "what is it it is! tt
alfanut

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it could be a hose clamp, it would damage the hose. I've also ruled out a clamping device for a machine tool, I don't see how it could be attached to the machine, let alone what type of machine.
My guess is that it might be the part of a scribing block that holds the scriber to the block, but it does look a little crude for part of a precision instrument.
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I think its a "Boss Head Clamp" mainly used in chemistry labs, if you can remember back to your school days heating a test tube over a bunson burner, you would have a vertical stand, this clamp conected to it, which would then let you attach for instance a test tube clamp at 90 degrees to the stand.

Dave
admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave - yeah think you might have cracked it!!! I think I've got some of these on a stand in the garage (somewhere), if I can find it I'll dig it out and photo

Rick
Scotty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKdave2002 wrote:
Hi

I think its a "Boss Head Clamp" mainly used in chemistry labs.
Dave

I remember them! Very Happy
Scotty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one more tool from me to keep the ball rolling, and in this case I know exactly what it is from my own research into my previous profession (clue) - however its a stinker as I'd never seen one before until I unearthed it deep in the bowels of the museum -

If anybody knows what this is (or gets close to it) then they win a can of that famous Scottish delicious food - Haggis. Wink

I'm going to number this as : Mystery Object No. 2 - just to avoid confusion.

Scotty.
Stuchamp

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#2 looks like some type sprinkler head or valve. Confused
Scotty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply - this thread seemed to have dropped off my radar!

You're in the right profession Stuchamp, a clue is on the right hand side.

If you think about the hand-wheel on the left and then look at the other end can you make out a "copper" coloured object that looks like a small metal rod. Yet on the other side there looks to be something spread out - I wonder what would use a small metal rod with something at the end if force was applied it would spread out?

That was the easy(!) part - now consider the main tool of a fireman.
Scotty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must try and remember about this thread!

Since I've bamboozled everybody the tool is for inserting and spreading rivets into the seams of leather hose used by Firemen back in the late 1800's to seal them. There were long rows of these copper rivets all along the lengths of firemens hose, about 36 per foot. They even employed the local shoemaker to come in every so often to apply "softener" to the lengths of leather hose to keep it supple and water-tight.

I suppose I'll have to eat this can of Haggis myself then ("thinks" ..... maybe if I hadn't mentioned the Haggis somebody might have given the answer. Confused ).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: