classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Hillman Aero minx diff bolts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Hillman Aero minx diff bolts Reply with quote

Hi all,
Reference my 1935 Hillman Aero Minx
I have just discovered that the bolts holding the cover on the differential have been lined with wire liners. They were quite easy to remove and means that the bolts will not now go up tight.
My options seem to be:
Drilling out and retapping at a larger size
Relining the threads for larger bolts
Retapping and fitting larger studs
Does anyone out there have any advice? My preference would be to do the best thing rather than the easiest thing.
Many thanks
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By wire liners do you mean Helicoils? A decent engineering shop should be able to replace these.

Paul
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your speedy response.
I suppose they are Helicoils but all they appeared to be to me by the time I got the bolts out were twisted and mangled bits of wire. Plus the fact that they were not really holding the bolts anyway which I put down to not being tightened up properly. My concern is that should anything go wrong with the diff in the next few months / years I will need to get the cover off again and be faced with the same problem.
Kelsham

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Illman Aero Minx. Reply with quote

Hi, Its a long time since I have seen an Aero Minx. An old friend restored one.
I would suggest that you are looking at a bodge. The best course of action is to buy a Helicoil set of the correct size and fit Helicoils.

This if done properly will be as good as new. Try Ebay for a kit. First you drill the hole out and then use the kit supplied.

Regards Kels.
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Kels,
Sorry for the delay in responding.
Thanks for the post. I may have to do just that. I am struggling to discover exactly how they are fitted, I don't want to make a poor situation worse. Do you know how to fit them?
Thanks again.
Kelsham

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: aero minx Reply with quote

I have never used the kit personally. I have had an engineering shop fit them.
I understand the kit comes with a drill and tap, there is a special tool supplied to wind the Helicoil into place.
It should be easy with a steady approach. Let us know how you get on.

regards Kels.
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Hillman Aero Reply with quote

I'll give it a go.

I will also post some pictures of the car for those not familiar with the Aero MInx
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Hillman Aero Reply with quote

Here are a few pictures of my little Aero. She is pictured in the garage as I started removing parts of her from the off. I am changing the bolt on hubs to splined hubs and hence fitting new wire wheels, changing the Singer windscreen pillars to the correct ones which I have had cast and plated and restoring the rad shell and badge for starters.
Forgive any errorsbut this is my first time at adding pictures

With the wrong Singer screen

With the newly cast screen pillars prior to plating

Side screen sockets before replacement

Side screen sockets renewed with polished stainless steel shrouds
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: