classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

First Time Buyer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
thatsmagic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: First Time Buyer Reply with quote

Hi there, this is my first post so go easy on me!

Im just about to take my driving test in the next couple of weeks and have been looking at cars, unfortunately if im going to buy a car i dont want a 90's ugly box/square car with no soul!

Im thinking of buying a classic car for my first car. i dont care about electric windows, and sat nav.

any suggetsions? so far iv seen a Triumph Spitfire or an MG of some kind

Hope you can help!

now i have to go to work, and am going to miss the England Match Crying or Very sad
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Depending on your age you might want to check out the costs of insurance etc, insuring an open top car if you're 17/18 might be pricey!! you may be able to take out a classic car (limited mileage) policy, but that usually requires you to have a modern motor for the daily commute. Worth checking up on.

For a first classic I'd recommend anything that has excellent spares support, so that'd leave the usual candidates, eg Ford Anglia, Moggy Minor, and so on, and whatever you buy, try to buy the best example you can.

Rick
thatsmagic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, thanks for the advice!

im 23 years young and done some research into insurance, its not to bad, about the same as my brother and sister paid for there first cars, a Ford Ka, and a Metro, just over the grand for a year.

Nice site by the way, full of info!
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree entirely with Rick, but one car I would add to the list is the humble Mini. Down a country road, they´ll run rings round most things of that era, and they aren´t expensive to run. I know that I´ll get a lot of comments for saying this, but Spitfires are a bit girlie (= hairdressers cars) for me, and MGB´s a pain to work on!
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe Spitfire girly?? naaaa although they were a bit hairdresser in their day I believe (didnt stop me owning a couple though, hmm). How about a GT6 then, dead easy to work on and a great soundtrack from that straight 6 lump!!

Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admittedly, straight sixes sound better than fours, but they dont compare to a V8, and if you wanted to go bigger than a Spit., then the best soundtrack is from a Stag, if you can keep it running, but then, thats not a good choice for a first classic, is it? Naaa, go for a Mini, and if you want a fast one, and ask politely, I´ll tell you how to put a Ford 1600 Ford crossflow engine in!!!
thatsmagic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, where would we be today without hairdressers cars!! and a mini with a crossflow engine!!! Very Happy im loving this forum already!
thatsmagic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well just been doing some insurance checks, and the MG is out the window Crying or Very sad , oh well, it looks like im having to settle for home grown material and go with the spitfire.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you do get a Spit, just dont get one of the early ones with the swing axle!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: