classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Ford Pop King Pin
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A broach is a press tool which may be used instead of a reamer It cuts as it is pressed through without the need to be rotated. A press is needed to force one through.

The pins and bushes we used were obtained from a Factor rather than a Ford dealer, Mainly because the discount was better. Whether the bushes were split or not I cannot remember, but I do not think they needed expanding.

Broach or reamer there MUST be clearance or the grease will not be able to reach the bearing surfaces to lubricate them. ALL bearing surfaces need a clearance for the lubricant.

I can see nowhere where it says the pin must be a tight fit in the bush. Clearance is probably not mentioned because the correct sized broach would leave that clearance.

Jim.
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Jim

So in essence a broach is the same as a reamer,
a broach cuts in straigh line, something like a key cutter
And a reamer cuts on the turn.

I knew someone out there would help. Very Happy

Roger
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS
A reamer must be easier, not everyone has access to a press.
Mind you a BIG vice could be used Wink
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another PS.
When using a broach on something like a stub axle yoke, the gap between the bush holes MUST be [packed with something like a piece of tubing and washers to prevent deformation of the yoke (as it says in those posted extracts). It may be possible in a vise, but the combined length of yoke and broach will make it impossible in the type of vise most of uswill have.

Jim.
wesser

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help chaps, I'll study this and do a visit to the local machine shops to see if I can borrow/hire an adjustable reamer and pilot.
Once again thanks - I'll keep you posted on my progress in case anyone else is in the same boat.

Cheers Tim
rapeters@dsl.pipex.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: 103E King Pin Problem Reply with quote

I've the same King Pin problem with my 1955 Pop and just about scraped through the MOT. I'm struggling to find someone locally in Manchester who has a reamer. Does anyone know of a garage who can help? Ta Rod
wesser

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod - I just got a 21/32" to 23/32" HSS Adjustable reamer from egay, I'm gonna sort out a pilot and give it a go later. I got a fair bit to do before the king pins but I will post my results when I get round to having a go. Hope this helps.

Cheers. Tim.
rapeters@dsl.pipex.com

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: 103E King Pin Problems Reply with quote

Thanks Tim. I managed to find a guy in Harrogate who sorted me out last week. It was a much safer journey back to Manchester!! Rod
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: