classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1951 Austin of England A40 Devon Pickup
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
alangregory2448

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: 1951 Austin of England A40 Devon Pickup Reply with quote

1951 AUSTIN OF ENGLAND A40 DEVON PICK-UP

British Motor Industry Heritage Trust Production Record Trace Certificate tells us that this vehicle car/chassis number GQC4/620674 was built on 13th September 1951, and was an export R.H.D. in Grey Primer, destined for Australia. The owner believes it came into Western Australia as a cab chassis, with the cargo tray built and added locally.

In August 1951 a revised version of the Devon sedan appeared with column gear change, a new centrally located instrument panel, new designed steering wheel, and fully hydraulic brakes to replace the original Girling hydro-mechanical system, and the A40 shown here would have been one of the first batch built with these updated features.
With the exception of stronger rear suspension, “low range” four speed gearbox, 17in. wheels and “low diff. Ratio”, the A40 Pick-up was mechanically the same as it’s very popular Devon sedan sisters, although due to the drive train changes the comfortable highway cruising speed was 45mph. to 48mph, some 10mph less than the Devon sedans.

The now 61year-old owner acquired this now 58year-old vehicle in May 1986, after it had
been lying idle and open to the elements for some 15 yrs in Western Australia, and surprisingly there was only very minimal rust and no dents or accident damage to the body panels, and no rust to the chassis.
After extensive restoration over 14 months the Austin was approved and registered for full road use.

This Austin A40 Pick-up is driven regularly around Bunbury in the South West of Westren Australia covering on average around 35 miles per week, just as the owner had driven his fathers 1954 Austin A40 Hi-Lite utility after learning to drive in it in the mid 1960’s.

As a matter of interest this Austin has been refurbished and restored to be presented and driven on the road as in original used condition, and still maintains the original semaphore turning indicators, without any modern type of flashing indicator lights fitted.

There has been an English made period valve car radio installed, which was recently re-conditioned by an expert vintage radio restorer.

British Motor Industry Heritage Trust Production Record Trace Certificate tells us that this vehicle car/chassis number GQC4/620674 was built on 13th September 1951, and was an export R.H.D. in Grey Primer, destined for Australia.
The owner believes it came into Western Australia as a cab chassis, with the cargo tray built and added locally.

In August 1951 a revised version of the Devon sedan appeared with column gear change, a new centrally located instrument panel, new designed steering wheel, and fully hydraulic brakes to replace the original Girling hydro-mechanical system, and the A40 shown here would have been one of the first batch built with these updated features.
With the exception of stronger rear suspension, “low range” four speed gearbox, 17in. wheels and “low diff. Ratio”, the A40 Pick-up was mechanically the same as it’s very popular Devon sedan sisters, although due to the drive train changes the comfortable highway cruising speed was 45mph. to 48mph, some 10mph less than the Devon sedans.

The now 61year-old owner acquired this now 58year-old vehicle in May 1986, after it had been lying idle and open to the elements for some 15 yrs in Western Australia, and surprisingly there was only very minimal rust and no dents or accident damage to the body panels, and no rust to the chassis. After extensive restoration over 14 months the Austin was approved and registered for full road use.

This Austin A40 Pick-up is driven regularly around Bunbury in the South West of Westren Australia covering on average around 35 miles per week, just as the owner had driven his fathers 1954 Austin A40 Hi-Lite utility after learning to drive in it in the mid 1960’s.

As a matter of interest this Austin has been refurbished and restored to be presented and driven on the road as in original used condition, and still maintains the original semaphore turning indicators, without any modern type of flashing indicator lights fitted.
There has been an English made period valve car radio installed, which was recently re-conditioned by an expert vintage radio restorer.

British Motor Industry Heritage Trust Production Record Trace Certificate tells us that this vehicle car/chassis number GQC4/620674 was built on 13th September 1951, and was an export R.H.D. in Grey Primer, destined for Australia.
The owner believes it came into Western Australia as a cab chassis, with the cargo tray built and added locally.

The now 61year-old owner acquired this now 58year-old vehicle in May 1986, after it had
been lying idle and open to the elements for some 15 yrs in Western Australia, and surprisingly there was only very minimal rust and no dents or accident damage to the body panels, and no rust to the chassis.
After extensive restoration over 14 months the Austin was approved and registered for full road use.

[/img][img]
[/img][img]
[/img][img]
[/img][img]
[/img][img]
[/img][img][/img]
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for posting the pictures, nice to see another one out and about on the road!! Smile is the rear pickup body a locally-built body, perhaps only for the Oz market? I know that a while back, imported cars going to Oz had to have a certain %age of locally-built content (my Bedford utes were like that, the back ends and cabs were built by Holden onto the British front end & chassis).

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
MONTBREHAIN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice to see , Love the tool roll and the "go faster" foxtail Wink "MO"
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah its a cracking little truck, I'm pondering about selling mine but seeing pics like this makes me think twice (and more!!)

R
bob2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it!!
quite a similar colour combo to yours rick!!
alangregory2448

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
thanks for posting the pictures, nice to see another one out and about on the road!! Smile is the rear pickup body a locally-built body, perhaps only for the Oz market? I know that a while back, imported cars going to Oz had to have a certain %age of locally-built content (my Bedford utes were like that, the back ends and cabs were built by Holden onto the British front end & chassis).

Rick
as per the posted story it is believed Alan's a40 pickup came into Australia as a cab chassis and yes the cargo tray was built and added in Perth W.A. cheers Alan.
alangregory2448

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MONTBREHAIN wrote:
Very nice to see , Love the tool roll and the "go f
aster" foxtail Wink "MO"

Yes tool roll copied from yery tattered and rotted original.Open-ended spanners have word AUSTIN cast into metal. King dick spanner (adjustable ) and pliers were frozen solid with rust and it took a lot of time soaking in CRC pentrine etc to free up. All original tools were then painted with self primer semi-gloss enamel and have stayed looking good for past 23 yrs even they are used often.
Fox tail is genuine and was tanned by Alan some 20 yrs ago and is only put on the radio aerial for photo's or displays.
alangregory2448

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Yeah its a cracking little truck, I'm pondering about selling mine but seeing pics like this makes me think twice (and more!!)

R
Hi Rick, I'm curious about a posting I seen mid May this year on this site and I'm wondering if you own this vehicle, or if you know of this vehicle. Heading was "Austin A40 Devon 10cwt. pick-up truck"
Year was 1951 as mine, and blue two-tone paintwork almost identical to mine, but it must have been built early in 1951 as it had floorchange gear selector, whereas mine has Somerset style column gear selector. The photo's showed the front bumper and hubcaps needed re-chroming, but the general paintwork looked in good condition and possibly a new paint job had been done in the not to distant past. I'm interested to know if this Austin pick-up has been restored and put back on the road ?
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan2448 wrote:
Rick wrote:

R
Hi Rick, I'm curious about a posting I seen mid May this year on this site and I'm wondering if you own this vehicle, or if you know of this vehicle. Heading was "Austin A40 Devon 10cwt. pick-up truck"
Year was 1951 as mine, and blue two-tone paintwork almost identical to mine, but it must have been built early in 1951 as it had floorchange gear selector, whereas mine has Somerset style column gear selector. The photo's showed the front bumper and hubcaps needed re-chroming, but the general paintwork looked in good condition and possibly a new paint job had been done in the not to distant past. I'm interested to know if this Austin pick-up has been restored and put back on the road ?

that could well have been the one I had, it went to a new home earlier this year but I did get it back on the road, albeit briefly as the engine developed a problem ... Sad

Rick
alangregory2448

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Rick"]thanks for posting the pictures, nice to see another one out and about on the road!! Smile is the rear pickup body a locally-built body, perhaps only for the Oz market? I know that a while back, imported cars going to Oz had to have a certain %age of locally-built content (my Bedford utes were like that, the back ends and cabs were built by Holden onto the British front end & chassis).

Hello Rick, today I see the photo's of my Austin have disappeared from the screen, but the written story is still there! What's the reason? I'm not very cluey with computers and I had to get a young person to do the original posting of the pictures for me, so I'm stumped. regards Alan
MONTBREHAIN

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can still see your pics OK , so perhaps you have altered the settings or lost a programme at your end ??
alangregory2448

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MONTBREHAIN wrote:
I can still see your pics OK , so perhaps you have altered the settings or lost a programme at your end ??

Hi Rick isn't the "Austin Devon A40 1948" FANTASTIC !!! by author rschibber. I don't have internet at home, and use same at our local library, and for some unknown reason the pictures of my Austin have never come visible again!!!??? cheers, Alan
alangregory2448

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="alan2448"][quote="Rick"]thanks for posting the pictures, nice to see another one out and about on the road!! Smile is the rear pickup body a locally-built body, perhaps only for the Oz market? I know that a while back, imported cars going to Oz had to have a certain %age of locally-built content (my Bedford utes were like that, the back ends and cabs were built by Holden onto the British front end & chassis).

Hello Rick, today I see the photo's of my Austin have disappeared from the screen, but the written story is still there! What's the reason? I'm not very cluey with computers and I had to get a young person to do the original posting of the pictures for me, so I'm stumped. regards Alan
.[

Hello Rick, boy these computors at my local library sure are strange to me! After some months the photo's of my Austin are back on the screen in full view again! cheers Alan
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alan, I am not normally a fan of the A30/35/40 but this is a little gem.
Dax Rush
alangregory2448

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 Austin of England A40 Devon Pickup Reply with quote

alan2448 wrote:
1951 AUSTIN OF ENGLAND A40 DEVON PICK-UP

British Motor Industry Heritage Trust Production Record Trace Certificate tells us that this vehicle car/chassis number GQC4/620674 was built on 13th September 1951, and was an export R.H.D. in Grey Primer, destined for Australia. The owner believes it came into Western Australia as a cab chassis, with the cargo tray built and added locally.

The now 61year-old owner acquired this now 58year-old vehicle in May 1986, after it had been lying idle and open to the elements for some 15 yrs in Western Australia, and surprisingly there was only very minimal rust and no dents or accident damage to the body panels, and no rust to the chassis. After extensive restoration over 14 months the Austin was approved and registered for full road use.

Due to the onset of critical illness, this 1951 Austin A40 Devon pickup is for sale for Aust$9,980, spares include complete Austin A40 coupe utility, plus a number of body panels, wheels and a heap of various parts and manuals etc.

[/img][img]
[/img][img]
[/img][img]
[/img][img]
[/img][img]
[/img][img][/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: