classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Interiors from scratch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Interiors from scratch Reply with quote

Is there anyone out there that has any tips or advice about making car interiors from scratch? Or at least, a copy of one?
rustyreks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: how to make wooden door panels Reply with quote

Uncle Joe I came across this site a while ago
phttp://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/15/179/article/How_to_Make_Woodgrain_Doorpanels_for_19671972_Trucks.html

I am planning on replacing mine thought this would look quite good if you didnt like the wooden panels just cover them with vinyl material by using contact glue.The main thing with interiors is to get a copy of the design of what you want to build whether a head lining or a seat they are used as templates could make cardboard templates if starting with nothing as on the door panels then use that to lay your design on some board.Ideally an original set from another car would be ideal.I think i would be tempted to read up from books from the library on upholstering interiors i saw some good hints in the readers digest book i picked up on cutting material for seat covers etc esp when using piping need extra material etc normally on joins the material is folded first again needing extra material.No reason why you cant make your own upholstery etc the older type singer sewing machines will sew heavy vinyl or leather. Hopefully others will add to this thread brent nz
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest problem that I have is the front seats. They are not original and a totally different pattern. Any kind of original pattern front seat, damaged or otherwise has proved to be impossible to find. So in this case, I guess that I will be out on my own, as usual!

I had a look at the link, interesting to see how he has done it.
rustyreks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: interior seat pattern Reply with quote

Uncle joe what type of car and what year are you looking for so that members could post a picture of an example of the seat pattern you are looking for.Am sure someone will have a example otherwise car shows may be the next best option.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rusty, the interior is for my Lincoln. There is a picture of it somewhere else on the forum, kindly posted by Rick.

As far as me posting pictures of the interior goes, I do have a couple, but I'm afraid I'm not smart enough to post them! Embarassed
rustyreks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: lincoln interior Reply with quote

Uncle Joe here is a link that may help http://www.lincoln-club.org/ this is an american club maybe contact them to see if another member has an original model car that could e-mail some pictures of the seating most people are keen to show off there cars especially those who are restoring rusty
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty, its taken a while, but this is the pattern that I am looking for. Its the back seat (obviously) but the front is similar.

buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks so comfortable!!
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzzy, if my interior was like that one, it would not only look comfortable, it would be!

UJ
admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does yours look at the mo? do you have any recent pics of your cars/restos? now that you've mastered photobucket, Wink

Rick
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with seats like that, you never want to get up, I have that problem with the sofa, so bought a laptop!!

Cheers

Dave
rustyreks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: interior seat pattern Reply with quote

Wow those seats look amazing one problem they are too comfortable you will need to carry your alarm clock with you just in case.Joking aside very elegant and stylish looking seats you may be approached for the next bond movie yet.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick: I have just finished trimming the 300's boot (or is it trunk), taking pictures as I went along. As soon as I can get a day with enough light, I will take the final picture, and post them under the relevant topic.

Everyone: Thanks for the kind words regarding the styling of the correct interior for the Lincoln. Now you know the reason that I have been known to do a round trip of 200 miles to buy ice cream....

UJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: