classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

How tight Jubilee clips?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
FAB Cruiser

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: How tight Jubilee clips? Reply with quote

How tight should jubilee clips be when fitting new radiator hoses? Is there a specific torque recommendation?

Also, does it make a difference if a rubber bush with a thermostat sensor (for a Kenlow fan) is squashed in between the hose end and radiator inlet.

Thanks
David
Ray the rocker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

good question fab--it`s normal to tighten them to the size of the screwdriver your using,the smaller the driver--the less torque you can apply...personally i go with a medium size --too big and you end up stripping or damaging the worm thread.the number of clips i`ve found stripped --especially those with 6mil hexagonal head--these are easy to strip with too much torque applied...
a smear of silicon seal around the sensor when fitting into the neck will do the job nicely...

Cheers---Ray the Rocker....
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally do them with a jubilee tool, bit like a screwe driver with a socket head, rather than a 1/4" ratchet, as you can go too far like has been said.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As tight enough only to prevent hose pulling off and leaks - do a stage at a time as they can be overtightned and be ruined
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzy bee wrote:
I normally do them with a jubilee tool, bit like a screw driver with a socket head, rather than a 1/4" ratchet, as you can go too far like has been said.

I too have a Jubilee tool, but it has a tee bar type handle. It will strip a clip with two fingers! Consequently I never use it. I use a 6mm socket where I can (or sometime 5.5mm), with a 1/4 inch screw driver type spinner. I have lost too many knuckles when a screwdriver slips out of the overgenerous screwdriver slot. The correct size screwdriver for any screw is "the one which exactly fills the slot". Which means the one for a typical Jubilee clip would be about 3 inches wide (in proportion)! Imagine the torque on that!

Jim.
WLC4EVA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer I know, is just tight enough, but not too tight FAB.

Actually, it's not as daft as it seems.

I suggest you tighten just tight enough so that the clip starts compressing the rubber.
And then tighten another 1/4 to 1/2 turn more
I also suggest you apply a light smear of Swarfega to the metal tube behind the ridge, and lightly oil the clip threads.

Once the system is warm, draw the clip up again until it start to compress the rubber, which it may do immediately.

The Swarfega reduces friction between the rubber and the metal so that it slips into place more easily.
You can always tighten a weeping joint, whilst an overtight clip can cause the hose to fail.

Kind Regards, WLC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: