classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Bleeding Brake
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
WLC4EVA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey come on Jim, you are having me on aren't you?

You clamp the other hoses to ensure all the pumped juice goes into the cylinder you are bleeding.

Kind Regards, WLC
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I worked in a car parts shop I would cringe when a customer would buy a bottle of brake fluid and then shake it. Rolling Eyes Then they would wonder why they could not get all the air out of their brakes and then blame the fluid.
Dax Rush
WLC4EVA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps they were just checking to see if the bottle was full Nic?

And then, like wise old owls, left the bottle to settle on the shelf for a week before using it.

Kind Regards, WLC
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

victor 101 wrote:
Roger-hatchy wrote:
Embarassed Embarassed

Also, the old adage about "If you can't find something buy a new one and you'll find it"
Eezibleed, carb balencer and colourtune, had all of these in the 70's not a sign of them anywere, bought new ones did the job then found the old ones Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Roger

Either that or you decide to get rid of something because you have had it for years and sure as eggs are eggs you need it shortly after.

There's always the "lend it and forget it problem" too!

I KNOW I have loaned many things. Never to be seen again. I can always remember the item, but NOT the borrower.

Jim.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WLC4EVA wrote:
Hey come on Jim, you are having me on aren't you?

You clamp the other hoses to ensure all the pumped juice goes into the cylinder you are bleeding.

Kind Regards, WLC

NO! There is no reason why ANY "pumped juice" should go to any other cylinder. Are you suggesting that after 50+ years in the Trade I should start clamping hoses to bleed brakes? I have not needed to yet!
Besides, clamping hoses with anything other than proper tools can be dangerous by damaging hoses internally. Mole grips may seem like a good option, BUT.................? I do have a proper tool for when I dismantle a hydraulic brake; to prevent the loss of fluid. I have only one though and have never needed more.

Jim.
WLC4EVA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I offered the suggestion about clamping the other hoses to them as wanted suggestions Jim.
I started out with your technique, then added the clamping hoses technique when I learned about it.
I then swapped to a Delphi pressure pump, which was pretty good, especially since I didn't need someone to pump the pedal..

After I learned a better one man system, the Delphi laguished on the shelf.
As, when, and if you'd like to learn a bomb-proof one man technique, let me know.

I am sorry if I hurt your feelings.

Kind Regards, WLC
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WLC4EVA wrote:

As, when, and if you'd like to learn a bomb-proof one man technique, let me know.

I am sorry if I hurt your feelings.

Kind Regards, WLC

You have not hurt my feelings.

I did not know we were necessarily talking about one man systems, but the technique I described still works, but without the need to pump the pedal.

As for "bomb proof", it has ALWAYS worked for me unless there was a fault in the hydraulics, or the slave pistons were not fully retracted (that includes clutch and disc caliper pistons sometimes). Why bother to learn another technique to replace one I am happy with, unless - with my age in mind - it removes the need to perform physical contortions which no longer come easy.

Edit. Oh, I suppose non-return bleeder tubes come into the one man category, but SEEING the bubbles come out makes me happier. Very Happy

Jim.

Last edited by Jim.Walker on Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="with my age in mind - it removes the need to perform physical contortions which no longer come easy?

Jim.[/quote]

At last I find I'm not alone Laughing Laughing Laughing
MVPeters

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that's at least three of us, then.

There's no need for anything more than a strong right leg, two cans of brake fluid (not shaken or stirred), a piece of rubber tubing & a glass milk bottle.

Works every time - guaranteed - 100%.

Mike
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also need a spanner Mike! Or should that be a "wrench"? Laughing Laughing Laughing
WLC4EVA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for assuring me I didn't hurt your feelinga Jim.

I wonder, can you clarify something for me please?

You wrote, but the technique I described still works, but without the need to pump the pedal.

Is that a typo, or have you actually found a way to bleed a system without pumping the pedal.
And presumably without some other form of pump?

Kind Regards, WLC.
WLC4EVA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add.
The method I use decreases the physical jerks a bit, but not a lot.

The best way I know to reduce PJs is to get one of they new fangled two post lifts.
I knew a wheelchair bound mechanic who could bleed brakes using a two poster.

Kind Regards, WLC
WLC4EVA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: There's no need for anything more than a strong right leg, t Reply with quote

Wow your strong Mike.

Last time I did one, I had to use an oxyacet spanner to shift the bleed nipples, and there's you loosening them with your fingers.

Kind Regards, WLC
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WLC4EVA wrote:
Thank you for assuring me I didn't hurt your feelinga Jim.

I wonder, can you clarify something for me please?

You wrote, but the technique I described still works, but without the need to pump the pedal.

Is that a typo, or have you actually found a way to bleed a system without pumping the pedal.
And presumably without some other form of pump?

Kind Regards, WLC.

I had in mind the various pressure vessel systems, which are partly filled with fluid and have a connecting pipe which screws on to the reservoir and then charged with compressed air. We used one of these in my workshop for a while, but there was always a chance of squirting fluid on removal. So I banned it on the basis that if it cost the customer a Pound or two more to bleed brakes, it ensured we would not spend perhaps hundreds of Pounds correcting and re-spraying damaged areas.
Am I not a real meanie??

Jim.
WLC4EVA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Jim, you were wiser than you realise.

Research has shown that pressure ones entrap air and damage seals.
You were actually doing you customers a favour by not usig a pressized gadget on their motors.
Eezibleed are said to cause the same problems

The Delphi one I used had an electric pump to push the juice through the system.
It ran with hardly any pressure at all, only a slow trickle out the nipple.
The other side to your advice "The pedal should be pressed and released with reasonable deliberation (not rapidly) to avoid fluid aeration."

Kind Regards, WLC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: