classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Stale petrol
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jonathan, no its not the SV reg plated car, I was lucky to find an private purchase. My car (when I take delivery) is the early model which has the 2.7 Lt engine, gate central gearchange. I will be its 4th owner. As previously mentioned an few jobs to sort, but well pleased in general with the car. Biggest job (I hope) will be replacement of the roof covering, water ingress has made an proper water stained mess in rear of car Rolling Eyes
Yes I have sold my Vauxhall 14/40 saloon in favour of the larger engined 20/60, an change prompted by my recent purchase of an vintage caravan to be towed. Poor old 14/40 did struggle somewhat with the load on. Fine on the flat but as soon as it was on an upward incline Shocked
Salopian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll soon sort it but certainly should do the job rather better than the 14/40. I have to say although they are handsome cars particularly in tourer form I never really liked the 14/40 - I suppose I prefer OHV! Mind you the only one I ever drove blew its head gasket after 11 miles so that affects my view.
Did you fix the misfire?
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have yet to collect the 20/60, waiting for my payment cheque to clear! quick these banks, guess they would prefer I pay 30 quid for electronic transfer Rolling Eyes So at the moment I am collecting advise on best way forward with the little ailments ready for the big day of collection/fettling.
As for the 14/40, its still in my garage as I await clearance of my payment cheque, according to my Spanish F1 sponsoring bank its SIX DAYS to clear an cheque Shocked Back to the 14/40, yes its an side valve but fitted with the Ricardo cylinder head, apparently this offered almost as much power as the equivalent OHV engine. That said I, like yourself, prefer OHV engines which seem smoother and quieter, or is that my imagination.

I have six new spark plugs ready to fit, as suggested, and I have purchased these from Green Sparkplug Company. I have gone for Champion D16 as recommended elsewhere. You mention problems with your NGK plugs, I too had problems with these plugs in my previous vintage cars. They too would only last an short while, perhaps 800 miles! Log onto the aforementioned spark plug company and have an read of the explanation offered by the Company regarding the issue, very interesting. Many vintage car owning friends have also experienced 'plug burnout' therefore it is truly an widespread problem for old car engine owners.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to see someone "championing" Champion spark plugs! So many "knowers" these days rubbish them. Personally, I have never had any issues with them even on high mileage fleet cars. I always fit them if I can.
Jim.
victor 101

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always use Champion on old cars, NGK on moderns, Unipart must rate as the poorest quality I have come across.
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an closing note to the thread, I changed the spark plugs this morning and hey presto the old engine sounded just dandy! All six pots running. The old plugs were 'PYROX PA' and must have been in the engine for 20 years + two completely kaput and an third looking a bit ugly. I shall start an new thread with my latest problem Rolling Eyes
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviving my own old thread here to say that the misfire/difficult to start and when it has started runs only on 4/5 pots before then chiming in on six after an minute or so, then runs just fine! The exhaust manifold has always leaked as did the exhaust system, I have had the exhaust system replaced and the manifold job will be attended to next week. Could the exhaust leaks cause the problem?
Elsewhere it has been suggested that it could be the timing causing the problem and perhaps knocking it back an couple of degrees may help?
Also the carb fitted is an Claudel Hobson original carb and not Zenith as I mistakenly stated earlier.
Whilst the car is in hospital I shall ask for the points to be replaced and synchronisation checked along with the timing of engine. Perhaps that may help resolve this annoying fault. Comments / advise welcomed
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a perhaps a not very well known fact that about 68% of faults causing bad running or breakdown of an engine are electrical. So that is usually the best place to start.
Having said that, mechanical problems such as a valve reluctant to close properly until the engine warms up is a possibility. A cold compression test should confirm or deny that.
Exhaust manifold or exhaust problems are certainly not a likely cause, though an INLET manifold leak could be if very small and mostly affecting only one cylinder.
Jim.
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jim, appreciated input.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: