classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Restoring my 1967 Thomson Glenalmond
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Onlyrwd

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Restoring my 1967 Thomson Glenalmond Reply with quote

*EDITED NOW I BOUGHT IT*

I spotted the distinctive roof line over a hedge a couple of days ago and went to see the owner tonight to see if it was for sale. Nice old chap, let me go for a look round his field which was full of various cars, trailers, boats and farm equipment but what I was interested in was at the back up to the windows in weeds and thistles!

Its from the late 60's or early 70's I think but is a different layout to the one shown on the Thomson website so unsure of the year.

Its in a bad way and im currently thinking if it would be worth repairing it as the roof is sagging badly has a dead pigeon on top of the wardrobe and hasnt been touched since 1998!

78 Cavalier GL
78 Manta Berlinetta

67/68 Thomson Glenelg WANTED

Last edited by Onlyrwd on Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Onlyrwd

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I collected this yesterday from its 12 year resting place. Siezed towing hitch and a bit derelict but now its back at my place and cleaned Very Happy

1967 Thomson Glenalmond in restorable condition Shocked

Towed it the short distance home at 20-25mph as the tyres were a bit cracked but still held air, half the lights worked so I went for it!

Since cleaning and removing the dead pigeon and associated pigeon stuff its a bit better now, old carpet ripped up and the cobwebs cleared away.

The roof has sagged and water has stripped the varnish off the wood round the windows and some of the walls need replacing. The corners inside need work, can see daylight through the front ones from inside! The door post and kitchen side of the caravan are bowing slightly but its still seems fairly solid, will see how bad the frame is when the side panels come off outside. The gas box on the front is from an old Abbey so will be coming off, back to how it should be.

Anyway Pictures are what you want to here goes in order carrying on from the first ones above.

Dragged out onto the road for the first time in 12 years.

Part washed

Finished cleaning outside

Inside, not great pics I agree

78 Cavalier GL
78 Manta Berlinetta

Last edited by Onlyrwd on Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Knowsley

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update......always interesting to read further information about an old van.

Now on behalf of all the other forum members I think I can safely say we're all be waiting for the next installment or this Thompson Restoration

David
Fluffle-Valve

Location: At my computer in a bungalow in Duston, Northampton.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it, it'll all be done for spring next year?
Onlyrwd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fluffle-Valve wrote:
I take it, it'll all be done for spring next year?

Laughing Will be ready by spring just not specifying which one Laughing

I have to rebuild the Landy again and finish the Safari caravan Im nearly finished doing first.

78 Cavalier GL
78 Manta Berlinetta

Onlyrwd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few pics from today after I stripped the walls and roof out. Surprisingly solid just a few bad bits and the worst bit is the side roof line on the o/s. Maybe easier to remove the roof to do it properly.

78 Cavalier GL
78 Manta Berlinetta

Knowsley

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick

Surprising to see how the work has progressed. What happened with the Landy and the Safari you mentioned needed your attention first?

However, seeing the panels removed and stripped back to the frame it looks to be in quite good condition and certainly repairable

Considering the problems ajlelectronics is experiencing on this forum with the restoration of his 1970’s Monza your Thompson should be gracing the touring fields by spring next year

I’ll upload some pictures and text regarding the restoration of my Royale if other members are interested

David
Onlyrwd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was just my tea break and lunch time today, about 2 hours in total!

It is mostly solid and only wet near the corners and the top edge on one side, thats what caused the roof to collapse on that side, the ends of the supports have gone Laughing Leaks around the windows which is what did most of the panelwork damage.

The construction is done in such a way that the kitchen, cupboards, seat boxes etc can be removed from inside, not like newer vans where they are screwed from the outside then covered in tin.

Im planning on getting the rest of the walls stripped and then parking it in our workshop as its about 30c in there, perfect for drying it out, everything gets warm to the touch after a few days.

The Landy and Safari need a lot of work, Landy is being re chassised and engine swopped, Safari needs a full repaint, walls rewire, replumb and more. This is just easy to work on as its dismantling and accessing the damage...plus being new to me Im keen Shocked Laughing

78 Cavalier GL
78 Manta Berlinetta

Onlyrwd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the Ok from my boss to keep it in the other workshop which is roasting hot so will dry out nicely over the next few weeks. Days like today are not the best for working on it, seemed to be getting dripped on from driving rain coming under the roof vents which is never good!

Managed to remove the kitchen unit a couple of small bits were damp and broke off, no big deal will repair the whole thing before refitting it as one. Turned out it was the main strength in the side, it bowed out a bit more when I removed it so braced it with some solid beams top to bottom, especially the door post which is made of wet mush rather than wood!

Hope to move it inside tomorrow so its out of the bad weather and warm, first time in its life I bet!

78 Cavalier GL
78 Manta Berlinetta

Last edited by Onlyrwd on Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Onlyrwd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it inside today and had a look underneath on the ramp, all good just the usual surface rust on the chassis.

Removed the toilet wall and insulation full of tunnels and knawed wood, looks like its been a mouse hotel at some point!

All the windows and door are open to let the warm air do its stuff. Hoping to get the wood, waterproof glue and stainless screws soon so I can get the roof and outer skin off to repair the frame one side at a time. I may take the side frames off and build it as it would have been in the factory, all the walls on the frame then each part screwed together with no difficult to cut edges, neat and right. I think its the best way to do it, probably easier even if it looks a lot more daunting.

Looks a bit of a bomb site inside right now, going to get rid of all the rubbish and rotten panels soon.

78 Cavalier GL
78 Manta Berlinetta

captinbash

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Mick, You certainly are not wasting any time. For a complete novice like me it is very encouraging to watch your progress. Wink
Onlyrwd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captinbash wrote:
Well Mick, You certainly are not wasting any time. For a complete novice like me it is very encouraging to watch your progress. Wink

Im a novice too, I am mechanically minded but have done a few caravan repairs on new and old ones. My attitude is 'Its knackered now, so it cant get any worse' and I give it a go. I dont have a carpenters workshop or a vast array of wood working tools just the ability to see through the bad and think 'I can fix that'. I hate DIY and use mechanics tools to fix everything. Im tight as anything being from Yorkshire so anything I can reuse, recycle, scrounge is good Laughing

Im still in the keen stage now, every tea break and lunch time Im on it. Financial situation will dictate the speed it gets done. I know wood isnt expensive, neither are the screws but with Christmas coming up and kids wanting everything its not a priority. I would like to get it done at this speed and finally finish a project in a reasonable time (the Safari Im repairing has been in work on and off for 5 years!)

Im lucky to have the facility to dry it out, that will be a big help in the progress of the job. Glass fibre insulation will be going and replaced by Polystyrene, better insulation and not itchy! Walls will be varnished 1/4in ply as original, carpet and cushions will be replaced with new and hopefully in a similar pattern to the original or something suitable from the 60's. When I got it the 10 red cushions were binned as they were from a 3 piece suite not a caravan and were covered in pigeon poo, cobwebs, various marks stains and were not what I would ever want to sleep on Shocked

As for now Im going to clear the rubbish, strip any other bad bits I can get to without compromising the structure, last thing I want it is collapsing as it dries out. The good thing is I have a few friends who are willing to help get it apart, more just for a laugh at what I bought but one of which used to work as a caravan repairer so he is quite helpful Laughing

78 Cavalier GL
78 Manta Berlinetta

Onlyrwd

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got Wood!!

Loads of it, Hardwood all cut in 1 inch by 1/4 to 1 3/4 inch widths and 7ft long which is ideal for the frame repairs Very Happy Collect it this week £35 all in thanks to E-bah (Northern E-bay Laughing )

78 Cavalier GL
78 Manta Berlinetta

Onlyrwd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another half hour work done today.... bad bits in the corners as expected.

78 Cavalier GL
78 Manta Berlinetta

Knowsley

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick

I'm still following this restoration with interest

The rate your speeding along I don't think this is going to take you very long. Shame you mentioned a neglected Safari; 5 years in the restoration progress Sad

Hows the body work on the Thomson, does it need any new panels or a respray?

Remember that Abbey gas locker you've got on the front of the van......just for interest I sold an Abbey one on the bay a few years back for £53.....might just help fund the restoration a little further Smile

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: