classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Hillman Aero Minx restoration
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Hillman Aero Minx restoration Reply with quote

Hi all,
Some of you out there will be familiar with my requests for info and help with certain Aero Minx issues with my existing 1935 car but now for the big one, the ground up restoration of a 1934 model from many many boxes of bits. The story begins with the various feelers that I had put out for help with my first roadworthy Aero. One chap who noticed my activities rang me out of the blue and said "you're an Aero Minx owner aren't you, would you be interested in two more!"
Well, despite a huge feeling of guilt (which still hangs over me from time to time) I went, I saw and of course, I bought. The 'bits' were essentially the major part of two whole cars, a '33 and a '34, both tourers. The vendor, a great chap with a very genuine feel for old cars, very diligently spent many hours getting all of the bits together along with as many additional spares as he could lay his hands on so that when I rocked up to collect, it was all laid out ready.
I will not turn this into a book and risk boredom setting in so will return with the next instalment later along with some pictures but here is one to be going on with of my roadworthy car.

Last edited by 1935Hillman on Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:35 am; edited 14 times in total
P3steve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry you wont bore us we live for mails like this, can we have some photo's of your boxes of bits as well. Regards Steve
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beginning of a very interesting story - don't worry you won't be boring me, more the merrier regarding owners' stories etc!! Smile Smile

I bought some seats quite recently from a gent who is also restoring an Aero Minx, I think you might know him, or at least have come across him in your travels. He's in Leicestershire.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Aero Minx bits Reply with quote

OK, thanks for the encouragement.
Here are a couple of shots of the boxes of bits. They do not show all of it as I have been moving some of it, particularly the very hard to find parts like the ally heads and original gear transfer etc. to better accomodation in the roof of my workshop. the wheels are very scarce as I found out when I had to get a set made for my other car. They share the large brake drum shrouding hub with Talbots of the same period. I have recently acquired a couple of the smaller-rimmed Talbot wheels just for the hubs in case I might need them for car number 3 (If I live that long)
Chassis now back and in paint, picture to follow. Also progress being made with making a new brass radiator shell, again pictures when I remember to take some.
[img][img]https://aero835.files.wordpress.com/2016/12/ash-frame-6.jpg?w=481&h=722[/img][/img]

Most of the bits are in quite good nick, you might even spot some new inner rear wheel arches that came with it all.
[img][/img]
The storage boxes are so very useful and came from a company called PLASTOR in Maidenhead

Last edited by 1935Hillman on Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
Kelsham

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: hillman aero minx Reply with quote

Hi, nice to see another pre war car enthusiasts cars, funny how the collections grow!

I keep buying front wheel BSA trikes and fourwheelers.

Back in the 1960s I lived in Staines Middx, I had a friend who was rebuilding an Aero Minx who lived down Shortwood Avenue.

I dont know if he ever finished it, when I last saw it he had it well on the way.

He claimed that the sidevalve engine was one of the better designs of its type.

I had just bought an SSI 20 HP engined side valve and remained unimpressed with his claim.

My view was coloured by the general opinion on the standard Minx of the time. They were hard to give away due to poor maintenance by their owners. Most trailed a blue smokescreen behind them.

I wouold like to have one nowadays.

The same predudice was leveled at my 1948 Flying Standard Coupe. I still loved until it was stolen for scrap.

Regards Kels.
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Aero Minx restoration Reply with quote

OK Now we have the chassis back and work is beginning on the springs and shackles. The existing shackle bush arrangement is varied to say the least but I am pretty sure I will be fitting all bronze bushes as originally. I have been speaking to other members of the forum about silent block replacements but feel that in the long run I will feel happier with an original spec rebuild. Chassis had some wear but only one area that needed a section welded in. Then I took it to A & C Shotblasting in Newbury, they blasted it, primed and painted it for a very reasonable price. I have bought all new bolts and nuts ready for replacing the cross members and brackets.

Also, I thought that you might like to see a few pictures of the radiator shell I have been building. The original shell is steel and very rusty to the point where it cannot be rechromed. Having obtained a few prices to have a new shell made I decided to try to make one myself but this time in brass. This has proven to be a hard task but I am making progress. I made myself a wooden buck and started beating some brass sheet into shape. Eventually I made the shapes I needed but was not able to master brass welding. Eventually I found a chap who takes such things in his stride and he has put it all together for me. Just got to grind the welds, planish the bumps and clean up ready for polishing and plating.

Last edited by 1935Hillman on Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:30 am; edited 5 times in total
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work on the radiator. Please keep feeding us your restoration notes and photos.

Thanks,

Peter
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. I hope it will encourage others to have a go.
Dax Rush
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Having a go Reply with quote

I hope so too. I have found that it is always worth at least exploring the possibility of having a go at something, even if you decide that the task is beyond you and seek others who can help. Try to remember that while there are some very talented people out there, they were not born with the skills that they have but acquired those skills through research, effort and application. My background is in carpentry and joinery but in the past few years have become at least competent in a number of metal working disciplines, some of which I aim eventually to become quite good at with a bit of luck. One thing is for sure, I ought to be able to make my own ash frame when the time comes!
Go on all you other car restoration newbies out there, have a go!
smiffy220

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father had one of these Aero Minx's until a couple of years ago. It was two tone blue, dark blue on the wings and lighter shade blue on the body. Never seen or heard of another one. I'll post some pictures up for you soon.
Nice to see the pictures.
Dave

1980 Opel Manta 2.0 SR Berlinetta
1934 Morris Cowley Four (my late fathers)
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Blue Aero Reply with quote

Hi Dave,
As Aero MInx registrar for Hillman owners club and having my own little website devoted to the type www.hillmanaerominx.com I would love to see other cars. The pictures can be posted here and on my site for all to see. Look forward to seeing them.
Cheers
Tim
smiffy220

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Blue Aero Reply with quote

1935Hillman wrote:
Hi Dave,
As Aero MInx registrar for Hillman owners club and having my own little website devoted to the type www.hillmanaerominx.com I would love to see other cars. The pictures can be posted here and on my site for all to see. Look forward to seeing them.
Cheers
Tim

Hi Tim, obtained a couple of pictures off my Dad this weekend for you. Maybe you know who owns the car now? My Dad bought it about 20 years ago with the first no.plate on it, but the guy selling it wanted to sell the plate separately, so my Dad applied for a period number, hence the EOW plate that was on the car when he sold it to a dealer in Norfolk about 6-7 years ago now it must be.

Hope these are of interest to you. My Dad liked the car a lot, as did I, but an opportunity came up for him to buy a 59 Sunbeam Rapier convertible, a car he used to own when younger, so he decided to sell the Aero Minx unfortunately. He's happy though I guess.
Cheers,
Dave

1935Hillman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: EOW Reply with quote

Hi Dave,
Thanks very much for the pictures I will add them to the archive.
My register shows the owner being Ken Smith in 2002 which is obviously not now the case. I also have a record of the car being sold at a Cheffins sale in 2004 where she fetched £6100. After that I have no further records I'm afraid. I would like to find out where she is now.
Thanks again,
Tim
smiffy220

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: EOW Reply with quote

1935Hillman wrote:
Hi Dave,
Thanks very much for the pictures I will add them to the archive.
My register shows the owner being Ken Smith in 2002 which is obviously not now the case. I also have a record of the car being sold at a Cheffins sale in 2004 where she fetched £6100. After that I have no further records I'm afraid. I would like to find out where she is now.
Thanks again,
Tim

Hi Tim, my father is Ken Smith. He sold it a few years ago at auction to a dealer. So I guess thats the info you have. I will try and see if he has any idea what happened to it after that. If not, sure he would be interested to find out anyway.
I have told him about your site anyway, so he may well get in touch in due course anyway.
Dave

1935Hillman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: engine mount rubber Reply with quote

Next ponderable.
I will hopefully shortly have my engine back after white metalling which has brought thoughts of remounting the engine before too long. However the two front engine mount rubber bushes are pretty shot, hardened and flaky. They are the round (2.5"ish diameter) type and are fairly simple but I have not found many references to replacing such bushes. Presumably they can be turned by someone. Does anyone know?

Some Aero restoration updates coming soon, just need to update some pictures.

Many thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: