classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1963 Hillman Imp Mk1 restoration
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
3xpendable

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: 1963 Hillman Imp Mk1 restoration Reply with quote

Unfortunately restoration of the car has halted for the time being due to my brother having other priorities and interests so I have shut the thread down. When he starts restoring it I will get him to try and put a blog on here but in the mean time thanks for all your interest.
1980 Porsche 911 SC Targa (Uncle)
1971 MGB GT (V8 project) -SOLD 2016
2005 MINI Cooper S JCW - SOLD 2016

Last edited by 3xpendable on Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
bob2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice couple of projects, the imp looks very solid though for its age!!
like the mgb v8 idea.
You mentioned that the console in the imp will be thrown away, will you keep the gauges or fit them in another car or are you willing to sell.
I am asking since I was aftr a small rev counter and oil temperature gauge to fit in my hillman hunter?
3xpendable

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob2 wrote:
nice couple of projects, the imp looks very solid though for its age!!
like the mgb v8 idea.
You mentioned that the console in the imp will be thrown away, will you keep the gauges or fit them in another car or are you willing to sell.
I am asking since I was aftr a small rev counter and oil temperature gauge to fit in my hillman hunter?

Thanks Bob, your Hillman Hunter is looking great too.

We will be discarding the gauges as we have a small 'gauge pod' that was an optional extra on the Imps and we will be fitting that. We have also bought a new interior that is the right colour so we may sell the gauges with that but i'll ask my dad next week if he is willing to sell the gauges seperately.
bob2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks, the hunter is giving me some grief right now, especially the stromberg since the piston is jamming and when dismantled everything looked right, even put a carb kit from speedy spares on it but nothing changed, it almost got worse!!!!
andycars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merthyr registration?
Richard H

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is lovely, great work so far Very Happy
3xpendable

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andycars wrote:
Merthyr registration?

Hi Andy, nope its Haverfordwest registration. Thanks Richard..hopefully will get going soon. I've been watching your threads on here running around the Autin, good work!
Bogwort47

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Imp Restoration Reply with quote

Hi Welshie
I am amazed how much of it is left - good find.
We've had 3 Imps a D Reg, an F Reg and a P Reg.
The D we had the longest and was kept going with bits from the F which I stripped out for spares. In particular, when a star wheel broke and smashed the hypoid case I did a 2 into 1 for the transmission that apart from a bit of a whine in top survived the rest of the car including a couple of years being used/mis-used? by our son.
The P was one of the last made and seemed to have been built from what was left over in the bins! Anyway, I stripped the F engine, had it re-machined, rebuilt it and fitted it to the P. We eventually sold the P to a neighbour who was a bit of an enthusiast along with some extra bits and bobs left over. At the time, I thought I had given him all the Imp bits but find I still have some left. I am away at present but the parts I have which come to mind are a wheel, a door cap in black, home made 'doughnut clamps' and chrome strips which used to be fitted to the top of engine cover on the D I think. I think there may be some other bits but cannot think at present. These parts are yours if you wish as I am getting on a bit know. Just remembered there is at least 1 Haynes Manual, some head bolts and a flexible gear change link as well.

Anyway, good luck with your project and please feel free to contact me in case I've got other bits you might need.
3xpendable

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there bogwart,

Wow, many thanks! Would definately be interested in those and any other bits you might have. We are planning to restore this car to its original specification and my brother has a 67' Californian that some of those bits would go on to.

PM me when you get back, I look forward to hearing from you.
Bogwort47

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Imp Bits Reply with quote

Hi Welshie

Pleased to hear of your interest - sorry about delay in responding since getting back home I've been bows under.

Anyway, I hope to be able to have what I can find sorted out by March and will up date you then.

If for some reason I fail to get back to you please feel free to send me a private message reminder

Happy New Year
3xpendable

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Imp Bits Reply with quote

Bogwort47 wrote:
Hi Welshie

Pleased to hear of your interest - sorry about delay in responding since getting back home I've been bows under.

Anyway, I hope to be able to have what I can find sorted out by March and will up date you then.

If for some reason I fail to get back to you please feel free to send me a private message reminder

Happy New Year

Hi Bogwart,

No problem at all, work is slow on the car at present due to the weather and other commitments, i'll PM you in March. Happy New Year to you too.

For the sake of feeling like progress has been made i've posted some photos. We finally got a replacement and correct colour interior via fleabay, and my brother sourced a MK1 bonnet in Balmoral Grey at an autojumble for just £10! The good thing about this bonnet is that it retains the original lip on the front of the bonnet edge, which most repaired bonnets do not have due to the complexity of shaping it.

Rear seats trial fitted

Front bonnet and MK1 badge (£10 from an Imp friend) trial fitted

3xpendable

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been a while but now my brother has taken over restoration of this, and the aim is to have it ready for the 2013 Imp Nationals. Its been moved into a shed for gridning and welding:

The engine has been stripped and inspected, and found to have lips on the top of the bores which is to be expected for a 100,000 mile unit but we also have a suspicion the bores have gone slightly oval looking at the lip positions and the blow by marks on the pistons. The motor has already been bored to +20 oversize so we may have to go up to +40

This is the new engine for my brothers Californian. 998cc wet lined and yes we built it all ourselves from an 875cc unit....nothing bought in here!

[img]http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s330/iwan1
3xpendable

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This project is stagnant at the moment, but as a side story, I wanted a model example of each car my family owns. I was pleasantly suprised to find a massive market for model restoration where you can even get custom number plates made up, so I decided to start with a Dinky Vauxhall Viva and Hillman Imp. The blue Imp originally looked like the picture below (and will be restored to this colour).

So after scouring ebay I found one with what should be the right colour interior

I drilled the rivet off the bottom and separated the bodyshell and stripped the paint using caustic soda (interestingly the 'new' Nitromors did nothing)

Next job will be to repaint it. Then order number plates
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: