classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1957 Chevy 210 4-door Sedan.
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose that some people might find this strange, but I've never liked F1. To g*****n boring for me! If I could choose to watch any kind of motor sport, then without question it would be any kind of motorbike racing - superbikes, 125's, 250's, MGP - anything as long as its on asphalt. Theres more fight on one lap than a whole season of F1, if not more!

If we all do start an 'engine specs' topic, then it could be good fun. There would have to be three though, specs, terms and US English Laughing

Scotty, many apologies for hijacking your topic...its always like this on here...FUN!
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Are you on about f1 stockcars or formula 1, I love f1 stockcars on dirt but I do fing formula 1 a little boring toward the end of some races!

I have never been to a motorbike race believe it or not, may change that this year as part of my new years resuloution! Very Happy

Yeah sorry Scotty, I often drift off topic!

Cheers

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that buzzy, I thought that you were meaning boring old Formula 1, not F1 stock cars! We'll have to be careful here, Rick likes the former, and if we aren't careful, he'll ban us!!!!! Assuming he can find two more mods. of course!
Scotty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drifting is not a problem for me guys in a thread like this - however I don't know how Admin may view it.

I belong to two other BB's where in one of them every post unrelated to the thread topic in hand is immediately removed, and another where its not stopped, but drift doesn't last long and returns back - me, I'm cool, as long as we chat and learn it works for me. Wink

UJ - The "8 mpg" is only when I have the pedal to the metal, leaving the two black lines down the highway (something I only do when I'm certain nobody, especially "the man" is about). With regard to a 750, many of the books I have read recommend for street use not to go above 600 as anything more is too much carburation for comfortable use - but I'm open to suggestions.

On race track enjoyment - have you ever had an opportunity to watch the British Touring Car Championships? Very competitive, supposed to be a non-contact sport, but it gets very heated, especially when the points are needed.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone on this forum is pretty friendly, not like some others I could mention! Admin is pretty cool about drifting, which I think makes things more enjoyable.

Regarding the carburettor thing. I had a look at my old Edelbrock and Holley catalogues. Edelbrock recommend a 600/650 Double Pumper, ie their Performer carb., whilst Holley recommend a 750 Vacuum. I know from experience that a slightly larger vacuum carb. is usually (not always) better on a heavy car.

As an example, on my Lincoln, I originally had an AFB double pumper. I always needed 98 + lead additive. It pinked like crazy on 95. When I changed it to a Holley 750 vacuum, the car felt a lot livelier, and I can run it now on 95... even fully loaded.

I first did this change many years ago on my old 318-engined Fury. Same results!
Scotty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 600 has vacuum secondaries, which does slow responses down I would agree. The points you make make's sense, however I've always tended to steer away from the performance end of V8 parts because of all the problems I've seen with my friends vehicles when they go to the higher end of performance parts as they try to get the things to run evenly - and more importantly reliably.

My problem is, and forgive me here as I'm not trying to be difficult over your explanations, I'm a member of Chevytalk.com (do you know it?) and the guys there have recommended I stick with the 600, because in their view anything larger than a 600, for my particular type of use, is that the addition capacity is never going to be used. Although I certainly take you point about how a 750 could make a difference with the octane rating we have to use over here - something that never occured to me.

I continue to live & learn. Wink
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think that you are being at all difficult. One of the good things about forums like these is that we are all able to discuss the various things about our classics.

I have been onto chevytalk on the odd occasion, but being more Blue Oval/Mopar, its not too often. I always have bad luck with GM, so I tend to avoid them!

Dont forget that in the US, they use the ROZ octane rating, in Europe RON, so ratings cant be translated exactly.

If you fancy putting more miles on your Chevy, have you ever thought of attending some of the meetings here in Sweden?

UJ
Scotty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often been tempted to come over to the Power Meet at Vestras (sp!).

The guy who built the Ford I posted the picture of has been over on a number of occasions and has been chewing my ear for ages, my problem is they are "tent & beer" men, me - I'm a "hot tub, room service & linen sheets" camper! Rolling Eyes Seriously, my other half and I considered it a couple of times, however you guys have a very expensive economy and we discovered what it would cost us for just over a week staying the way we like we could get three weeks in the US - where we go every year for the car shows. Perhaps one day, but America still has me hooked.

I've got to say though the quality the Swedes and Fins turn out is second to none, even the Americans are sending their stuff over to your end of the world. When I see something in Classic American that has "Arctic Circle" plates on it I know its going to be good. Cool
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I avoid the Västerås Power Meet, its got far to big, and for lack of a better word, there are far too many 'undesirables.' I'm sad to say that the last time I was there I saw a perfect '58 or '59 Caddy convertible get trashed. Not a very good advertisement!

A good one is Wheels'n'Wings. Thats a weekend bash, and there it is possible to hire a self-catering cottage, so it doesn't work out too expensive either. Combining Classics and Aircraft works for me. I did post a link on here somewhere. If you are interested, I can look it up again, and repost.

Did you manage to look at the pics. of my 300?

Cheers, UJ
admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drifting is fine by me chaps Very Happy especially if it involves lots of cylinders and rubber left on tarmacadam Cool

(PS as for Formula 1 - yeah I like to follow it on telly, but I wouldn't pay to watch a race in person, I do however shell out to see historics at Oulton Park, Goodwood, and other events like Shelsley Walsh hillclimbs and so on Wink )

Rick
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ

how did a Caddy get trashed at that meeting? intentionally or just someone messing about?

When I was at school, and had a Triumph Spitfire in pieces, I often used to rib a teacher about his MGB (Triumph vs MG you see!). He leant me an MG club mag, and it had photos of a national club event. One of the attractions was taking turns to smash up a Spitfire with a lump hammer. I remember thinking how childish it seemed to do that, if I'd been in that club I'd have left it pronto.

Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I could understand, the Caddy was owned by some teenagers/ early twenties. They just had way to much to drink, and started to do things like jump up and down on the bonnet, boot and so on. When we first saw they car, it was really nice, at the end, trashed!
old gto

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:
I've never been able to find anybody I considered skilled enough to tune the 350 properly... I'm not confident in taking my car to a guy who's going to learn how to set up my engine by trial and error. Don't get me wrong, these guys do a good job, its me being far too fussy!

So...what`s wrong with "fussy"? I`ve been told I`m the same way, LOL! And with one of only 8 or so 57s in all of Scotland, why would anybody NOT be fussy?
VERY nice car you have there sir!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: