classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Mitsubishi J26 Jeep
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Invicta

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: Mitsubishi J26 Jeep Reply with quote

This is my first post so "Hello people".
I've bought this Jeep which according to the log book was sold by the Colt Car Co in cirencester in 1981.
I belive it was built in 1975.
The engine is a 2.6 petrol "Astra" (same as in the Colt Gallant?) which I am told means it was made in Australia.
The ex Director of parts at Mitsubishi UK remembers owning mine before it was sold and the Company's press department are having a J27 restored for shows, etc.
But can Mitsubishi find a thermostat, Dizzy cap and HT leads for mine Rolling Eyes
So if any kind person can tell me where I can get these parts from then I would be very happy to buy them a couple of pints when they are next down here in Tewkesbury.

Apart from these parts (someone had removed the thermostat to compensate for a blocked radiator) this is agreat little 4x4 and not expensive to buy or run.

I just wish the manufacturer's people would stop telling me it doesn't exist Laughing
Kind regards, Bernard
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Welcome along, I am sure someone will have something or know where you can try to get parts for your Jeep!

Cheers

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Invicta

Welcome aboard!! were any parts common to any other cars of the era? I'd be inclined to scour ebay Australia for starters

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Invicta, you dont need to go to Australia for your parts, just your local, friendly Chrysler/Jeep dealer, assuming that you are correct about the engine!

J26's do exist, usually they had a 4G53 engine (2384cc). If you are correct about the engine size, then your engine should be a 4G54B - the same as fitted to some Jeeps.....

UJ
Invicta

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, Dave,

Thanks for the welcome and the tips.

I've just heard from an owner in Japan that the engine is a G54B and is the same as used on the Colt cars of same period 2 - 2.4 and 2.6 litres (petrol).
All parts are apparently interchangable (just differnt bore sizes).

Its a bit ironic that my father fought in Burma and now one of the people who has been able to help me with a Japanese "Jeep" is himself Japanese.
Sorry to go all philosophical on you. I just get frustrated when I encounter "Jobsworths" in this country. Yours faithfully, Chuntering Old Buffer - CDM and Bar. Smile
Bernard
Invicta

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe,
Thank you - I'm about to make a call and I'll let you know what happens next. Cheers, bernard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: