classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Long term storage, or short term for that matter!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Long term storage, or short term for that matter! Reply with quote

Hi

When storing a car who de presses the clutch, wedges the pedal down, to prevent the clutch seizing? I do it, but wonder about other people?

Any other tricks for storage?

I like to put a couple of nappies in a car to draw some of the moisture out of the air, remember this will only work in a closed car, else you will be tring to dry the world out! Laughing

((a bit off topic, but if your wellys, boots or shoes are wet, place a nappy in each and leave for a while and it should draw the wet out, leaving nice dry shoest to put on!) Another usefull piece of infro from David, you want to see peoples faces when I keep going int to the corner shop to buy nappies!)

Cheers

Dave
old gto

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some other ideas include draining the gas tank, and blocking up under the frame so the weight of the vehicle is off the tires.
Drain the oil.
If you can`t keep it in a climate controlled garage, at least try to have it under a roof or canopy.
I`ve heard that moth flakes will help keep away mice.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you sometimes have to watch with keeping the pedal pressed down is that it can cause the seals to go over time, if you have a hydraulic clutch. They weren't designed to be held on for a long period of time and I've heard of them letting go while in storage.

Better I think is to warm the car up regularly and exercise all the vital systems, jack the car up or at least pump the tyres up higher than normal, leave a layer of proper wax (shouldn't be a problem for BB!) on any chrome bits if the garage is at all damp.

Change the oil like gto says, and grease up any joints with fresh if you can. Open and leave open the garage door whenever the weather is nice, to keep things ventilated too.

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add a couple of points to this. Instead of jamming the clutch pedal down, simply go to the car and pump it a few times at regular intervals.

Leave a window slightly open for ventilation, as long as rain cant get in that is.

Drain the petrol tank, and use an oil spray filled with SAE10 or ATF to coat the inside surfaces. If you want to be pedantic, with the engine hot, remove the air filter, and with the engine running, spray oil down the carb., until you see unburned oil coming out of the exhaust (through the smoke!). This is also a good way of getting your neighbour back for burning the rubbish when the wind was blowing in your direction! Tape up all openings - exhaust, air filter, dipstick, breathers etc. with Gaffer Tape and thick plastic bags. Use talcum powder on weatherstripping. Remove the battery, bagging and taping the connectors!

Finally, make sure that there is a plastic sheet under the vehicle, and that it is off its tyres- which should have extra air in!!

UJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: