classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

WWII Airwrecks Consolidated Liberator B-24J 42-52003
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Historic Aviation
mistericeman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: WWII Airwrecks Consolidated Liberator B-24J 42-52003 Reply with quote

One of my other hobbies (some of odder than others ...including ROC post spotting,Exploring old mines, the under ground variety not the blowing up ones )
Is visiting the sites of WWII air crashes ...it is a bitter sweet pass time some times,
as the feeling of sorrow for the loss of folks lives that made the ultimate sacrifice without question that we might enjoy the freedom we have today weighs heavily on ones mind when on some deserted piece of moorland ....

Consolidated Liberator B-24J 42-52003

The aircraft was being ferried from Burtonwood to Hardwick by a two man ferry crew on the 11th October 1944, the two men took off in the aircraft from Burtonwood near Warrington at 10:32. The set a course of 135o and climbed to an indicated altitude of 2800 feet. At approximately 10:45 while in cloud and moderate to severe turbulence Lt Houpt spotted a small gap in the cloud and saw the ground was only about 150 feet below him. He then applied full power and began to climb, but before they could gain any meaningful height the aircraft struck the ground on Mill Hill some 1.5 miles from the Grouse Inn between Hayfield and Glossop.

The two men extricated themselves from the shattered cockpit and walked along one of the streams until they reached the Hayfield to Glossop road. A passing lorry driver stopped and picked them up and took them to a nearby pub where Lt Houpt telephoned Burtonwood to report the accident. They were then retrieved by an Ambulance from Burtonwood and their injuries were then treated. These were mainly cuts & bruises but Lt Houpt did suffer a broken jaw.

Information from usual sources on the web

I have some more kicking around IF anyone is interested at all .
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating stuff, more please.

In town there is a memorial to a Thunderbolt that went in at speed. It went in to the soft ground so deep I believe it was never recovered.

Not far away there is a memorial to a bomber that came down in a field, I don't think there is much left bar some tiny fragments, according to a contact of mine who's friend's dad owns the land.

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop

Last edited by Rick on Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Julian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why they were flying at 2800' when the high ground in that region is in the order of 2500'? In good visual conditions I guess it's worth a punt, but in cloud?.....

There's probably a bit more to this than meets the eye.

Julian.
Greg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures...I find something almost haunting about old plane wrecks?
mistericeman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg wrote:
Great pictures...I find something almost haunting about old plane wrecks?

The selfless sacrifice that young airmen made to secure our freedom without question ...really does leave you lost for words at times .

It's always tinged with sadness no matter what when I visit one of these sites.
BUT It's important that are not forgotten and remembered for what they gave .
Julian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistericeman wrote:
[The selfless sacrifice that young airmen made to secure our freedom without question ...really does leave you lost for words at times .

There's a book written by a 'Q' ship commander who served during WW1. The Q ship's job was to sink enemy submarines - ASDIC and the depth charge had yet to be invented. The things they did just make your hair stand on end, virtually every engagement must have had the odds of them getting killed at about 50:50 yet it didn't deter them. The bravery of Q ship commanders and the crew cannot be described, you have to read the book.

Julian.
Churchill Johnson

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a great deal of books that have been written about the two world war's try one of the book's on the steam sub's [K boats], i have been on several dig's and have been lucky to have had a few items given to me and never would i sell them even though some are now worth good money as i think it's part of history and i certainly know that two items i have the pilot's died in the aircraft, they gave their live's for what is now a joke of a country run by idiot's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Historic Aviation All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: