classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Boeing B29 Superfortress RB-29A 44-61999 crash site visit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Historic Aviation
mistericeman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Boeing B29 Superfortress RB-29A 44-61999 crash site visit Reply with quote

As i am sure i have posted before 1 of my hobbies is visiting the last resting places of WWII aircraft in the Derbyshire Peak district .
One that has eluded me for some time was Boeing RB-29A 44-61999 "Overexposed" of the 16th Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron, 91st Reconnaissance Group, 311th Air Division, Strategic Air Command, USAF

I have been meaning to get to this wreck site for some time BUT have always shied away from it as it can be a bit on the busy side of busy for my liking,
However Today i was left alone and the weather was fair,so time for some peakland hill bashing  Surprised.
Actually to be fair it was a fairly undramatic walk to this one with fairly gentle climbs ...mostly .

However the reward was EPIC i was left truly gobsmacked by this site .....i'll let you judge from the pictures after a little history gleaned from the web.

In all 13 Aircrew lost their lives in this crash

Landon P. Tanner Captain Pilot AO44484                                          Killed
Harry A. Stroud Captain Co-pilot AO725371                                  Killed
Ralph W. Fields Technical Sergeant Engineer AF13015734          Killed
Charles R. Wilbanks Sergeant Navigator AF14067868                  Killed
Gene A. Gartner Staff Sergeant Radio Operator AF33736380          Killed
David D. Moore Staff Sergeant Radar Operator AF34056859          Killed
Saul R. Banks Technical Sergeant Camera Crew AF14243965 Killed
Donald R. Abrogast Sergeant Camera Crew AF15090583          Killed
Robert I. Doyle Staff Sergeant Camera Crew AF6918518                  Killed
William M. Burrows Private 1st Class Camera Crew AF17234997 Killed
Clarence M. Franssen Corporal Passenger AF19263748                  Killed
George Ingram Jr Corporal Passenger AF20822424                          Killed
Howard E. Keel Captain Acting Photographic Advisor AO737964            Killed

On the 3rd November 1948 RB-29A 44-61999 was being used for a flight from Scampton near Lincoln to Burtonwood near Warrington, a flight of less than a hour.  Low cloud hung over much of England that day and as such the flight was to be conducted on instruments.  After having flown for the time the crew believed it should have taken them to cross the hill they descended.  However the aircraft was not quite passed the hills and struck the ground near Higher Shelf Stones and was destroyed by fire.

The aircraft was soon reported missing and the local authorities and nearby RAF Mountain Rescue Service team were alerted. At the time the MRT were on a training exercise in the Kinder Scout area, they made their way as quickly as possible to the southern side of Bleaklow to begin a search for the crash site. They arrived at the crash site at the around 16:30 finding that there had been no survivors and with light fading left the recovery of the crew until the following morning.

The aircraft had, for at least part of its existance, carried the name 'Over Exposed', it got the name while being used by the 509th Composite Group to photograph atomic weapon tests as part of Operation Crossroads at Bikini Atoll during 1946. The aircraft may have still had this name at the time of the crash, however it was being flown by a completely different crew and was with a different unit.

Boeing RB-29A 44-61999 of the 16th Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron, 91st Reconnaissance Group, 311th Air Division, Strategic Air Command, USAF

The above is made all the more poignant for me as my primary school had a visit by American aircrew from RAF Burtonwood when i was but a nipper and not long before it was disbanded/closed.

Stunning day out with breathtaking views AND left a strong sense of sorrow for those that lost their lives so selflessly .......

This is worth reading too ....

Transcripts of the rescue services attending the crash site BE WARNED it's not easy reading Sad

Harrowing reading

( Rescuers Transcript courtesy of peakwreckhunters)
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing photographs and an astonishing read, really brings it all home.

Curiously my grandfather was a George Thompson (RAF), not sure if he was still serving in 1948 but he lived not that far away, in Cheshire, as the family still do. Quite a common name though so probably just a coincidence.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An understatement: "That did not make me feel good!" In fact it has left me rather emotional and upset.
I live not far away, but I will not be going to have a look.
Jim.
mistericeman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim.Walker wrote:
An understatement: "That did not make me feel good!" In fact it has left me rather emotional and upset.
I live not far away, but I will not be going to have a look.
Jim.

Understandably Jim ...It's a great shame that you won't visit this site,(or by the sounds of any other)
And in a way as harsh as it sounds I'm happy you feel the emotions you do.We should all feel Emotional and indeed upset .....
It's the least we can do for the souls that lost their lives,
A few hours out of our life and a bit of a trek to visit them,and as much time as is needed to reflect on their sacrifice.

Remember the lifespan of a member of WWII aircrew was usually measured in days/weeks rather than Months years.
I like to remember them whenever i can and not just on Remembrance Sunday .

( I know this aircraft was lost after the end of WWII by the way, but the emotions are still the same)
Greg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So very sad.
The pictures are remarkable...
Think it a very nice touch to see the Poppy Crosses left in memory.
Then I read the account....how very moving!
I too feel quite sad now, but thank you for posting.
Greg
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Rick wrote:
Amazing photographs and an astonishing read, really brings it all home.

Curiously my grandfather was a George Thompson (RAF), not sure if he was still serving in 1948 but he lived not that far away, in Cheshire, as the family still do. Quite a common name though so probably just a coincidence.

RJ

http://www.raf.mod.uk/community/support/requestforinformationfromservicerecords.cfm

The second link in the body of the text on this page should explain how you can get your Grandfathers service record.
You never know it may be him that was involved, and having his record is always good to have if you get involved in family history research.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Penman. I spoke to mum yesterday, as I suspected by 1948 my grandfather had left the RAF and had hoped to go back to his former job, at Fairey I think. However the job was no longer there, so he had to switch to "normal" jobs.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Historic Aviation All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: