classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Our Humber Sceptre MK 1 at Burghley House.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
gresham flyer

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Our Humber Sceptre MK 1 at Burghley House. Reply with quote

The wife took the Humber and followed me in the Austin Devon as we had not really given the little Austin a good run since the back end of last year.
She performed really well and the little Austin did too. Exclamation Wink

Has anyone fitted larger engines to their Austin Devons i.e MGB engine and overdrive box.

Gresham Flyer
Penman

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
According to this from Ricks A40 page on the main site.

Quote:
Update. During 2007 I had an email out of the blue from Berni, who once owned my Devon. He had it from 1986ish until 1995 or so, after which it was sold and restored completely: "... I kept it under a tarpaulin outside and it was a lot rougher then than it is now, I repaired the big box section sills under the floor that it doesn't really need, rebuilt the front suspension both sides and fitted a new offside rear spring when the old one cracked a leaf ... the original engine's block was warped and we couldn't keep a cylinder head on it for more than about two weeks, ended up putting a Wolseley 1500 engine in to it. I'm glad to see it survived and prospered - look after the old girl". Below are the photos that Berni sent over.

So I read that as yes, a larger B engine has been used.
I'm not sure whether it finished up with that engine or if it went back to the original, as Rick also has a photo with the "original" engine.
Come to that I haven't managed to work out whether Welshrover bought it after Rick or if he had it before.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B-Series engines will go in, with some modifications iirc (sump, mountings?), but when I had mine it was back to the pre- B-Series 1200cc lump. From memory, some export pickups and vans (perhaps in NZ?) did sell with small capacity B-Series engines in them towards the end of production.

I think it'd only be a worthwhile mod if the diff was replaced with one out of an A70 though.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
welshrover

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had it a while before rick Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: