classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Stuff to squirrel away for future glory!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Mk3 Cortina's are in big demand now as a direct result of "Life on Mars".

There is to be a follow up series "Ashes to Ashes" wonder what 80's car Philip Glenister will be driving in this, and will it have the same effect?

Dave
giggles

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

melvin wrote:
How about the hot Hatches? Many of which have been 'boyracered' and few good originals probably remain.
Renault 5 GT Turbo
Mk2 Golf GTi
VW Corrado
Vauxhall Nova SR
Peugot 205 GTi

Just a few that spring to mind

M

I visit some of my local Hot Hatch type chatrooms (they love the older cars, but think they are too young too own one!) The Renault 5GT turbo is already very collectable.

Within the Retro Car scene things like the poverty spec base models are also becoming collectable, with people paying silly money for them! The early Metro's are starting to be popular too.
giggles

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:
Maybe modern cars are to much alike to have the character of old cars, so maybe none of todays vehicles will be classics in the future. Maybe todays generation will be so scared of getting dirty hands, they wont dare to try to keep an old car on the road. Maybe they will look on computers or Play Stations as something to collect?

UJ

I think the problem started when woodwork & metalwork at school became design & technology. It's all theory work, no practical. Just like when cookery became Home Ecnomics or Food Technology. So it's up to family to teach them instead and if the parents aren't interested then the kids aren't either.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giggles, I'm old enough to have gone through the old Grammar School system, and in some respects didnt think much of that. But from what I've seen of the current school system, it was way better, at least we did get dirty hands then...and the talk at school was still 'Did you see the rugby match on Saturday?' than 'Have you seen the latest computer game?'

UJ
giggles

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does bug me when I see the kiddies in my son's infant school all standing around with their Gameboys and the like, when I was at infant school we all (girls as well as boys) played with our Matchbox & Corgi cars.

If you want to see what those that are interested in cars and aged 17+ are into have a look at www.retro-rides.com Wink In particular a lad called Slater on their forum.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a look at the link, and it is good to see that some youngsters are willing to get their hands dirty.

I might have some negative opinions though - see money vs morality topic.

Giggles, at first, I thought that you meant www.retrorides.com Check that one out!

UJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: