classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Fuel Pump Problems
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
1stpop

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Fuel Pump Problems Reply with quote

I have recently bought a Hillman Minx lllb saloon (1961) and after a couple of weeks the fuel pump has packet in. I have tested all the pipe work and it is perfectly clear and after cleaning loads of gunk from the filter and bowl (glass dome) the hand primer stopped working as well!.

Just wondering if its worth trying to fix or locate a new fuel pump or if I should just consider 'up-grading' to an electric fuel pump? and if so what type would be a good bet?

Having read the handful of manuals and service books I have for the minx they all seem to suggest that the pump isn't really a serviceable item?

any suggestions?
47p2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speak to http://www.burlen.co.uk/ about an electric pump, they can supply pumps that push or pull the fuel through depending on where it is sited, also electronic pumps which are more reliable
welshrover

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got one for the wifes series v minx proper ac one with the glass bowl .from collectors car parts tel 0208-897-3774
or just get a repair kit . Very Happy
1stpop

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well after a little time alone and a little help from my handbook I've got the hand primer to fill the bowl with fuel, and when i use the hand primer I can feel air pumping through the pipe to the carb but no fuel - any suggestions?

How easy is it to remove the fuel pump to get a better look?
andycars

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See Speedy Spares website - they list FP51 Fuel Pump, AC Delco type with Glass bowl at £37.50 and FP14 pattern part at £18.00.

I would check first though that it is the pump that's at fault as you say it's pumping air but not fuel.

Andrew
welshrover

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very easy to remove, just two nuts.
1stpop

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripped pump tonight and gave it a real good clean and although there is good pressure when using the hand primer lever there is no pressure when I pump the rocker arm? Any suggestions? Still not sure if it would be easier just to leave the pump on the engine block and fit an electric pump instead?
RUSTON

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say that you have stripped the pump, what condition was the spring below the diapraghm as that could be weak? If you have pressure with the primer then you should still have it using the rocker arm.

Pete.
Penman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Here is an exploded diagram for a generic fuel pump, you might see something to help, ie is the diaphragm turned to locate in the slot in the rocker link properly?

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
1stpop

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that there should be both pressure with primer and rocker arm - thats whats got me stumped - cant seem to work out why one works and not the other
47p2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The valves on these pumps are a common failure
1stpop

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally after much cleaning and a very careful rebuild I've got the pupm working and now it seems that there is an obstruction somewhere between the pump and the fuel tank. If I blow compressed air through the pipe from the engine bay it bubbles in the fuel but fuel doesn't sem to want to flow towards the engine. Guessing that its full of grime and dirt in the fuel tank so will be checking the pipes etc this weekend - hopefully this will solve the problems (I should be so lucky - lol)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: