classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Model year identification
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
gpw42

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Model year identification Reply with quote

I have just acquired a Thames E83W passenger van with the following engine and model numbers:
Engine No C735567
Number taken from the Chassis B085B53-7341
Can anyone throw some light as to the year of manufacture?
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: year Reply with quote

Hi there

When new the engine no. would match the chassis no.

It looks like yours may have received a replacement engine at some time given that the two numbers differ.

I've got few details with ref to years vs chassis/engine numbers, however I have something taken from a Glass' Guide in the 1950s, which lists the start chassis # for each year of production -

1953 production started at 695863
1954 production started at 761460

So I'd guess your *engine* dates to the mid 1953 year

The chassis number isn't a format I recognise from my own trucks - is the number you're quoting the number found on the upper surface of the front chassis rail? it'd usually be a Cxxxxxx number, like with the engine no.

rgds
Rick
www.e83w.co.uk
gpw42

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Engine/Chassis identification nos Reply with quote

Dear Mr Rick,
Thanks for your reply.I am from Chennai (Madras- the old name of my city), India. The second number is what my mechanic found in the Chassis. He says it says Model no.I dont know.Did they have any similar numbers? Its seems to be a Utilicon, it may gave been some special purpose body. Its got three doors in front and two doors in the rear like a traveller. Its a right hand drive vehicle, with a door in the driver's side and the passenger side and a door behind the passenger side door leading to a bench seat.Behind the bench seat is a sort of webbing and two long folding bench seats on either side with an access through the back doors. It has two sliding glass windows on either side The number plate is on top of the rear doors.
Please let me know if there are any other ways of finding out the model year with the numbers I have provided .
Thanks once again for your prompt reply.
Srivardhan.
Chennai, India.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: re:E83w Reply with quote

Hi Srivardhan

Do you have any photos of your van?? would you like adding to the International Register of owners?? I don't have anyone from India on there yet.

On righthand drive vans there is a chassis number stamped on top of the passenger side front chassis member (Cxxxxxx), which usually matches the engine number (Cxxxxxx) that shows on the bulkhead (aluminium plate). The aluminium plate also specifies the vehicle model (in our case E83W or E83). There is also a small tag riveted on to the other side inner wing, near where the bonnet closes - this is the Briggs body tag (Briggs being the company that built the bodies).

rgds
Rick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Rick,
Thanks for the reply. I shall certainly send you pics when I take them.
This vehicle has been acquired by me just a couple of months back and I am doing some restoration work in the city of Bangalore which is about 250km from Madras. My mechanic found the numbers in an aluminium plate on the bulkhead. It does'nt say chassis number as I had mentioned in my first mail but it says Model number.Perhaps it could be a model designator. I have asked my mechanic to check for the chassis number in the area above the shock absorber bracket. I hope he finds it.
This vehicle has three doors in front, the driver side door, the passenger side door and a door behind the passenger door on the left side for entry to the bench seat behind the driver's seat. It has two doors at the rear tail. Did the Utilecon have five doors?
Regards,
Srivardhan.
Madras, India.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: re: plate Reply with quote

Hi again

I look forward to seeing the photos.

The aluminium plate on the bulkhead usually shows the Engine number (Cxxxxxx) and the Model type. The chassis number is stamped on the chassis as already mentioned. The Model Type for UK vans says E83W, some export versions just say E83 or even 83 I think.

As far as I am aware Utilecons didn't normally come with a rear side door, although I have a photo somewhere showing a vehicle like this, photographed at a show in the UK 13 years ago. I will add it to the site shortly. It may have been added later. Or else you might have a locally bodied van?

regards
Rick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: