classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Tinplate toy & metal model aircraft
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Historic Aviation
alan 869

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you say, the -swing wing- was just a good way of getting it into a box. We have a utility room in the basement and the plane has been on top of the drying cabinet for at least 15 years. Will have to get it a better place Smile
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
It is a model of the "proposed", cabin monoplane, developement of the Swordfish. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

http://www.cgexperience.com/images/fairey_swordfish_iii_04_of_36.jpg

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: GAMA Boeing Stratocruiser Reply with quote

I know exactly what this one is though - a Boeing Stratocruiser, produced by GAMA of Germany. This was bought quite recently, and is probably my favourite toy aeroplane of those I now have. The livery is PAA - Pan American World Airways. I've seen a version of the same toy done in the later Pan Am colours also (a friend has one).

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
pigtin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

old gto wrote:
Beautiful! I remember ones similar to that, but were later (1960s) jets in Pan Am or Eastern trim. I now collect Lear jet models. Only a few, but the collection includes 2 RC craft with near 5 foot wingspan, an inflatable, a wood carved one, and a couple diecast.
Do you have any more pictures of your others?

That's a nice model. Back around 1980 I used to work for AMF International and a couple of us went across to Shelby Ohio for a 6 week 'Jolly' (supposed to be learning about a computer) We were taken from Mansfield airstrip to Lowville NY State? in the company Lear Jet.

I was fascinated by the cocktail cabinet and the copy of Playboy in the seat pocket. It was a style of life I would have liked to get used to.
I looked out for a while for a model of one, but it was forgotten with the passing of time. Thanks for reminding me of the 'good times.'
alan 869

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: GAMA Boeing Stratocruiser Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
I know exactly what this one is though - a Boeing Stratocruiser, produced by GAMA of Germany. This was bought quite recently, and is probably my favourite toy aeroplane of those I now have. The livery is PAA - Pan American World Airways. I've seen a version of the same toy done in the later Pan Am colours also (a friend has one).

RJ

That is really nice Rick. I´ve gone all green Embarassed
alan 869

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigtin wrote:
old gto wrote:
Beautiful! I remember ones similar to that, but were later (1960s) jets in Pan Am or Eastern trim. I now collect Lear jet models. Only a few, but the collection includes 2 RC craft with near 5 foot wingspan, an inflatable, a wood carved one, and a couple diecast.
Do you have any more pictures of your others?

That's a nice model. Back around 1980 I used to work for AMF International and a couple of us went across to Shelby Ohio for a 6 week 'Jolly' (supposed to be learning about a computer) We were taken from Mansfield airstrip to Lowville NY State? in the company Lear Jet.

I was fascinated by the cocktail cabinet and the copy of Playboy in the seat pocket. It was a style of life I would have liked to get used to.
I looked out for a while for a model of one, but it was forgotten with the passing of time. Thanks for reminding me of the 'good times.'

Fancy getting to go on a flight in a Lear Jet! Fantastic Very Happy
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread needs an update.

I think this has been posted before, but it fits here - a large and heavy aluminium Gloster Javelin, 1/24 scale and produced as far as I know by the factory in the 1950s, probably for display at Farnborough-type events, in the offices etc etc. Wingspan over 2ft.

I nearly fell over when I spotted this in a charity shop's window two or three years back.

I've only seen one other, that was on display in the aircraft museum near Caernarfon in North Wales.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Gloster Javelin in the Newark Air Museum Rick.
It is an inside exhibit reared up like something out of Dan Dare. Makes me want to shout "Spaceship Awaaay".
That was how the first Eagle Comic front cover looked in 19**? Well sort it out for yourself! I AM NOT telling you how old I am. Confused
Jim.
Churchill Johnson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk of tinplate aircraft bring's back memories for me as during the war [2nd not boer] my father made a German and a British aircraft from old treacle 1g tins, these he cut open formed and soldered together then painted, i think he did this while recovering from shrapnel wound's in this country,alas i have no idea what happened to them after playing with them for a while.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mentioning wars brought me to remembering another present from a German P.O.W. awaiting re-patriation as I think I mentioned in another thread.
One presented me with a solid wooden model of a Junkers 88 with about an 18" wingspan. To me (as a schoolboy-just) it looked perfect. Of course it did not fly, but I had to chuck it out of a bedroom window to find out........................................................................!
Oh Dear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Historic Aviation All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: