classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Cylinder Head gasket supplier required
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Invicta

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Cylinder Head gasket supplier required Reply with quote

Hello folks. I've made more progress regarding the overheating problem on my J26 Mitsubishi Jeep.

The cylinder head gasket needs replacing.
My problem is I can't seem to find a supplier either here in the UK or abroad (this includes Mitsubishi UK).
Can anyone help please?

Engine details:
4 cylinder, "Astron", 2.6 litre, petrol. Made in 1975 (possibly by Mitsubishi Australia).

Apparently the Astron was fitted into a range of Mitsubishi models and also made under license by other manufacturers about the same time including Chrysler.

If I can't find a replacement are there any other options open to me as opposed to replacing the whole engine with something different?

Kind regards, Bernard
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bernard

If you don't get any luck in the UK, there is a firm I have used, based in New Zealand, who stock gaskets for loads of older stuff;

http://www.bowdenengineparts.co.nz/

Cheers Dave
Invicta

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

This is what the internet was made for Very Happy

My 1975 J26 model Jeep has, at some time, been fitted with a square 4 2.6 Litre G54B "Astron" engine.
The give away is it states 2.4 on the plate on the bulk head - thank goodnes for the English translation.

I am told by the owners club this was probably done by Colt UK when they were running it for testing as the 2.6 didn't come out until after my Jeep was made - it would of originally had a 2.3 in it.

The 2.3 was put in the early J26 Jeep models and "Rosa" buses.
The 2.6 G54B put in those made after 1982.

Many, many thanks for your help on this. I will keep you updated on progress.

Kind regards, Bernard
rustyreks

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: head gasket Reply with quote

As mentioned often these moters were put into other vehicles if you can find out which ones maybe from the dealers you will find them under a different part number though they are the same thing for example moter parts for the holden courier are izuku they are cheaper if you order the holden ones than the izuzu type crazy.My celica also is expensive for parts but the toyota collola has the same engine and cheaper to buy parts for that worth a try anyway.If have the old gasket a new one could be patterned off it by a reputable gasket maker over here there is an engineering company that supplier gaskets for irrigation pumps will make up car gaskets on older/new cars no problems...Just recently i took the head off a toyota corrola the head gasket was only the asbestos graphite material no copper at all only problem with it is that all surfaces have to be 100% dead level copper gives a bit more tolerance.. rustyreks
Invicta

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustyreks,

Somehting is a bit different with mine as the Mitsubishi dealer ordered all the necessary gaskets and everything fitted apart from the one for the timmming chain cover and sump!

It appears my J26 has an engine from a J27 in it and even then there are a few "odd ball" changes. Hoever, as they want to use mine as part of their publicity I'll stick with them for a while longer.

Kind regards, Bernard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: