classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Hillman Aero Minx restoration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
47Jag

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the half-shafts are tapered like my Jaguar you will probaly have to lap the shaft with the hub.

Art
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: RH and LH Reply with quote

Doh!

Thanks to Bob Bourne I now know why spinners are marked RH and LH.

Right hand thread and Left hand thread

Bleedin' obvious when you think about it !

Thanks, Bob
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Parts wanted Reply with quote

I have been asked by another Aero owner in France for some help finding parts. He is rebuilding his Aero Minx and has rebuilt most of the engine. However, he is missing a sump pan and oil pump. The engine is a replacement later 1185cc sidevalve, the one with core plugs instead of end water plates. I am sure that the sump and oil pump is deeper on these later engines than on the earlier ones so i dont have anything for him. Can anyone help?
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: NEC show and the Aero Minx Reply with quote

A little overdue but just wanted to let everyone who wasn't there quite what a successful show we had in November at the NEC. We had four Aeros and a chassis on the stand and one of the rarer cars, Dave Hanks' Streamlined Saloon won Classic and Sportscar magazine's special award for 'The Car That Won The Judges Hearts' A great success for the register and particularly for Dave who has owned the car for quite a number of years having bought it at age 17 because it was cheap. Now Christmas is over I will get back to the restoration saga, there is much to report and I almost don't know where to start. Pictures of the NEC to follow later
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: NEC show and the Aero Minx Reply with quote

1935Hillman wrote:
A little overdue but just wanted to let everyone who wasn't there quite what a successful show we had in November at the NEC. We had four Aeros and a chassis on the stand and one of the rarer cars, Dave Hanks' Streamlined Saloon won Classic and Sportscar magazine's special award for 'The Car That Won The Judges Hearts' A great success for the register and particularly for Dave who has owned the car for quite a number of years having bought it at age 17 because it was cheap. Now Christmas is over I will get back to the restoration saga, there is much to report and I almost don't know where to start. Pictures of the NEC to follow later

Look forward to the updates Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: NEC show Reply with quote

Here are a couple of pictures of our stand at the NEC. The prize winning car of Dave Hanks is the lovely two tone saloon on the left. The two seater at back left belongs to Dr George Bailey, the Cresta saloon at back right is from the Coventry Museum, the green tourer is mine and the rolling chassis also mine. It was great to have a display that either mystified people who had never even heard of the Aero Minx but also occasionally delighted when people came on to the stand who had owned an Aero years ago. Thoroughly enjoyed the event but being so busy didn't get much of a chance to look round myself - and there was so much to see.

I was especially pleased when one Mr John Biscombe and his lovely wife Judy came to see us. Johns father M. Biscombe and his brother had rallied and trialled an Aero Minx in the 1930's particularly in the West country trials such as the Exeter. The Biscombe brothers formed two thirds of the winning Aero Minx team in the 1934 Welsh rally, the third driver being W.P. Uglow. John was thrilled to see the cars and took time to pose for some pictures. John is on the right, muggins on the left.

I couldn't not include a picture of the winner, Dave Hanks' 1934 Streamlined Saloon. A personification of the true Art Deco style if ever the was one. A lovely car and a worthy winner.

Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that really is something else isn't it, thanks for posting the pics Smile

RJ
smiffy220

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics at the NEC, I can't believe I missed seeing these cars there. It was my father that had the blue Aero Minx of which I posted pics earlier on this thread.
Sorry I missed seeing you there, would have been nice to have had a chat and seen your great looking car there.

Dave

1980 Opel Manta 2.0 SR Berlinetta
1934 Morris Cowley Four (my late fathers)
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just spent over an hour typing an update and then losing it (no idea how) I can't really bear to do it all over again but here are some pictures of progress and brief descriptions.
New brake cables from Speedograph Richfield Ltd. They have a fabulous catalogue and found my car and model year within a few minutes. The catalogue can also be found on their website. I did have some very good old ones and had fitted them but they were not a perfect match and it irritated me after a while and when I discovered how reasonably priced the new ones were I had to have them.

Also fun and games with the old radiator but now fitted.

Rubber bump stops found online from a chandler. Hole centres were perfect and they look absolutely right. Stop straps still to add. Still can't believe how dirty and dusty everything looks when photographed at such high resolution.

Radiator tested for leaks (none), repainted and refitted. Just a question over how much packing / softening to be placed between rad and chassis. Still not sure but others Aeros suggest that there should be something.

Bulkhead also dug out and repainted and all looking a bit like a car, I will shortly add the timber side rails and begin mounting the scuttle. This will give me the firm basis for adding the coil and voltage regulator and begin to think about putting the wiring harness in. The harness I bought from Autosparks and after some head scratching certainly seems to match up quite nicely with the Hillman wiring diagrams that I have which is a relief. I am looking forward to tackling it and being able to activate the electrics.

Will add more explanation when I can summon the energy.

Last edited by 1935Hillman on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
Kelsham

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great work, I enjoy reading about 1930s cars. I look forward to the next instalment.

Regards Kels.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kelsham wrote:
great work, I enjoy reading about 1930s cars. I look forward to the next instalment.

Regards Kels.

Agreed, very inspiring too to see cars progressing like this Smile

RJ
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking Hillmans, I especially like the Aero saloons. Lovely 30's styling.
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just trying to get to grips with the ash framing now. Like so many of the prewar handbuilt cars the Aeros all seem to be slightly different and especially different between body styles. A recent example illustrated this perfectly. The bulkhead you see nicely repainted and fitted to the chassis turned out to the wrong one. I have three of them and simply chose the best one and ran with it. I then drove down to Kent to measure the Streamlined Saloon that I am copying to find that it was almost two inches wider than mine. On returning home I dug out the others and sure enough one of them was two inches wider! Thankfully it was also in pretty good condition and so wire brush, wet or dry and paint later it is now mounted on the chassis. I must try to stop doing things twice over, it really is dragging the job out longer than it needs to be.
I have begun the ash frame which I am reasonably happy with and will post pictures when I have something worth looking at. I am a carpenter by trade although not practising as such any more so am not fazed by the work as such but simply don't know how to go about it! Learning fast though.
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, some weeks in and some progress made. Some of what you can see is mocked up to check dimensions and proportions etc. while some is done. I have had great fun laminating the wheel arches and show one on the buck and the other propped up in an approximation of where it will go.
If anyone has any questions about anything you see please do ask as that is the way I have learned.
[img][/img][/url]
[img]
[/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks great work, real craftsmanship. Its something that I don't think I'd have the confidence to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: