classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Newbie from Australia - 1958 Series IIA Rapier convertible
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
58Rapier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Seat Belts Reply with quote

Has anyone fitted seat belts to the front seats of a Rootes convertible that was'nt fitted with anchor points? Looking to do this to my Rapier (not legally required) but I feel very "naked" driving without them. Not sure how to go about locating the anchor points. Any advice/suggestions most welcome.

58Rapier
Penman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I think by 1965 mountings had become a requirement, so you might get some clues by looking at a Series V or possibly even a IV.
Even the saloons appear not to have a B post big enough to carry a high
top mount

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
welshrover

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 65 hillman minx series v has got seatbelt fxings becuase i had to fit seatbelts for the mot. still dont use them though .cant stand being strapped in due to panic attacks ,if i put a seatbelt on i cant breath and start to freak etc Rolling Eyes
58Rapier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: SEAT BELTS Reply with quote

Thankyou for the info provided, I'll have a look for a later model garage manual and see if I can work out the locations

58Rapier
58Rapier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Temperature Transmitter Reply with quote

I am having a problem locating a Temperature Transmitter for my Rapier. The standard replacement fits but is not compatible with the gauge.
The original has "made in England, 12v, D6" stamped on its base edge.

Can anyone identify what type/make of vehicle it would possibly have come from.

58Rapier
58Rapier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: AC Gauges made in England Reply with quote

Hi all, still trying to locate a temperature sender for my Rapier that has an AC temperature gauge Made in England with 7854513N57 stamped on the case.

I guess the AC company no longer exists?

Can anyone tell me how to measure the ohms that the gauge uses to give temperature. This appears to be only way to relate sender to gauge.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

58Rapier
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what ohms relate to what scale reading (although you could just put a rheostat between the gauge and chassis and measure its resistance at half and full scale on the gauge) but I think your best strategy would be to seek other cars that used AC temperature gauges. It is very likely that there is only one type of AC sender.

Fords used AC electrics. Perhaps these might be a source.

Peter
58Rapier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: Water Temperature Gauge Reply with quote

Hi Peter,
Problem now solved, purchased off ebay, solid-state voltage stabiliser, fitted and now Temp Gauge reads correctly. Transmitter from a Triumph model unknown.

I needed to fit a new water pump. Faxed my order to "Speedy Spares" late on Friday pm (Aussie time) and the pump arrived in Australia on Tuesday am. That is fantastic service, I couldn't have done any better if I had ordered one from an Aussie supplier! Cheaper too!

In order to retard the spark far enough, had to install the distributor 90 degrees advanced so as to rotate to retard position without vacuum advance device from fouling the block. Now works beautifully.

Now have a recovery bottle for the radiator and it works perfectly.

Does anyone know of a manual that covers the drive for the cable driven RPM gauge?

There is about 1-2 mm of endplay with the shaft and it appears to have moved to a lower position and the spiral gear has chewed the spacer at the bottom of the distributor shaft below the spiral gear!
Alternatively, can anyone advise if there should be a spacer at the bottom of the tacho drive?
The system functions correctly so no problem, was just curious.

Still loving my car, it's just had a nice, fresh-water wash and shampoo and looking forward to some car shows that are coming up here in Queensland.

58Rapier
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: