classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Been offered a 1 owner 1972 "K" Hunter GLS!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Pilkie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Been offered a 1 owner 1972 "K" Hunter GLS!! Reply with quote

Hi all.

Ive been offered a one owner 1972 "K",1st reg 1/1/73,Hillman Hunter GLS in dark blue with webasto/rostyles.
Apparently locked away in a dry integral garage since its owner died in the early 80's with 42k miles.
Lady only goes in the garage for the freezer,hoover etc.
She now has to sell the house as its too big and stairs are getting difficult,so her daughter has contacted me,"Freind of freind" saying do I want it,and what do I think its worth if I dont??!.

Yep! I sure do!

The old saying is true!

My dad had one when I was 14,it was gold and tan webasto,and an early 1974.
Ive yet to go and see what its like,as its a whole day trip away,so could be a rust bucket if parked up when caked in damp mud,,,,OR!,,,,and heres hoping,in excellent time warp condition.
My current fleet consists of my daily driver,a 1971 Rover P6V8,fun in the sun 1970 Triumph TR6pi,and my current nut and bolt resto project a 1954 MGTF1500.
Ive no space for it,yet,,,but the MG is hopefully going to be sold in April,so by the time they get round to selling the house,things may fall into place.
Hopefully nobody will beat me to it!!

Now I have 2 Q's for those of you in the know re ball park values???
If its a rusty but complete car,,£ ?
If its a time warp,and excellent,and easy recomission,,£ ?

As and when I get more info,ie get to see it,,I will let you know the result.

Cheers Dave
bob2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know about UK but I do not think mine is worth much to any other person but maybe worth a lot to the right person who knows!!
What I know is its been valued 3000 something euros by the insurance policy's classic car surveyor after its resto!

So that might be a guide for you!
gresham flyer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is nice to find them like this.

Condition 3 £1,000.
Condition 2 £3,500
Condition 1£5,000

These have the Holbay 1725 engine fitted which is rated at 120BHP.

I find now days there is always a younger relative who looks around on the internet (bring back the days we purchased from Exchange and Mart) and finds out what similar cars are fetching then informs his old auntie to ask top dollar.

I have had this happen to me sometimes. You do not want to rob the old folk out of something,but then again you do not want to pay dealer fourcourt prices.

Good luck though

Gresham Flyer
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one (1973 M) as a banger in 1988 - total heap and rusty that smoked fun to drive but had some bad habits

Yes they did go well - they have the close ratio gearbox and overdrive and the go faster but tempermental carb set up but not the standard twin Strombergs that Sceptres had.

The bores/rings do not wear well either and the alloy head will dissolve/distort and/or the hardened valve seats loosen and drop into the cylinders if it has stood for a long time

But at the right price it could well be a great car
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Pilkie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your input.
I hope to go and see it over the easter hols,and will stay overnight.
Suzie,,the daughter says its mine if I want it,and nobody else will get to see it until ive been and made up my mind!
welshrover

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice motor them holbay gls hunters especially with the twin 40 webers on. they go like stink .then you can swap the cam in it and then it will go ..i was thinking of fitting a gls hunter engine / box in the wifes minx ,with twin 40's of course. its got disc brakes on as standard so should stop it ok ,well they stopped the sunbeam alpine ok Cool Cool Very Happy
smiffy220

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did you pick this up over Easter weekend in the end?
Dave

1980 Opel Manta 2.0 SR Berlinetta
1934 Morris Cowley Four (my late fathers)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: