classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Near Miss!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Scotty

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Near Miss! Reply with quote

Just off topic chat really, nothing to do with classics -

I was arriving at the museum yesterday morning and realised that I'd have to go around the block to get to a parking space I'd just passed. As I turned left into the stone cobbled street that runs to the side of the museum (this is an old part of Glasgow) to go around a girl in a Rover turned just in front of me and headed down the cobbled street. The street itself is one-way, so no oncoming traffic and as we got about 30 yards / meters down the girl pulled into the left hand side curb. I continued to drive down the road and then just as I was about level with her she turned right directly in front of me to drive into a parking stall on the opposite side of the road! Shocked

Have you every heard the shreek of tyres on cobbles? Thank heavens for the Merc's ASP, ABS and every other computer controled gizmo in that car because if I'd been in a less technically advanced vehicle I'd have ploughed right into the side of her!
As it was I stopped about an inch (25 mm) off her drivers door, with me s*****g myself, my heart pounding and what did she do - she looked at me somewhat surprised and drove into the stall!

I spend my life listening to about how smart women are with their multi-tasking skills compared to men's linear thought processes - but its about time some of them started to develop single focus skills on important things like - driving with due care and attention! Confused

Sorry ladies, I know you're not all like this, just me having a rant.
old gto

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Women drivers" is actually considered a curse word in some US citys, LOL! "Soccer mom" is another that refers to young mothers eating a cheeseburger, applying make-up, chatting on the cell phone, all while facing backwards yelling at the kids in the back seat, while going down the road!

Now, to the fairer sex that browse these pages, I`m with Scotty. I don`t want to ruffle any (very pretty) feathers, LOL! So here`s a poem for you ladies:

"Women`s faults are many...
Men have only two...
EVERYTHING they say...
And EVERYTHING they do!"
Scotty

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

old gto wrote:
..... applying make-up, chatting on the cell phone, all while facing backwards yelling at the kids in the back seat, while going down the road!

Hi Jim,

I saw this on the OBT (Orange Blossom Trail) in Orlando regularly - the length of some of those girls nails, how do they manage to push the buttons on their moblies without breaking them off!

Oh, by the way, you forgot to mention "or drinking coffee with the other hand and steering with their knees". Rolling Eyes
62rebel

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

common everyday occurence here; get passed by some idiot just so he/she can make the next turnoff in front of you... usually by a hairs'breadth of distance between their bumper and yours. and for some odd reason, apparently no vehicle made in the last 5 years has had turn indicators fitted, since new vehicle owners refuse to use them.
my personal favorite? the flipping slag who comes from 2 or 3 lanes over to make an exit in front of you (also usually missing you by a hair's breadth.) whenever possible i will and do return these O2-wasters the favor.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I had a similar problem the other day! I was following a car, and it indicated to stop outside a shop on the left, as I was overtaking it, it turned right directly into me, thankfully there was a pub carpark that I could drive into and stop, by gom it was close, as I got out to express my thoughts, a little old man got out! I tried to harness my anger but it got worse when he asked why I didn't see him indicating! I said I did, but you indicated left not right, and he said oh well that is ok then! Not ok in my books, but there you go!

Passers by were just looking at the old guy shaking there heads!

Well that is my rant! Maybe we should start a thread just for rants!

Cheers

Dave
Scotty

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful now Buzzy - we little old men own the road, hasn't anybody told you that yet! Very Happy

Just so you have another pointer about us old guys I saw a bumper sticker in the States on the back of an old guys great big ol' Buick which said - WARNING! I BRAKE FOR NO APPARENT REASON!

You have been warned. Wink
gillberry

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my way to work the other night some posy young t**t in a 3 series bmw (driving like an idiot nearly caused a moped rider to go into him) pulled into the left so I went to go round him just as he decided to swing right and into a car park . A blast of my horn drew no response so wether he did this on purpose or just did not know I was there ? If I it weren't for the fact that I would have been late for work I was tempted to let him have a piece of mind (or more) .
62rebel

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he probably had the mp3 plugged firmly in 'is earhole...when it should be plugged firmly...

you chaps really should take a week's vacation and spend it driving 'round here.... bring plenty of anti-aggravation medication; you'll need it. "the recently dead have risen from their graves and walk the earth"... and a great many of them drive honking big SUV's!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: