classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Inner tubes
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Inner tubes Reply with quote

I need to replace two of my tyres, so that's best part of 300 pounds, now the inner tubes will be another 70 pounds, how can I tell if they are past sell by date? Thanks comment and advise welcomed.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rubber will be dry and stiffish and may have tiny cracks in it - it will also not smell rubbery!
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do decide to replace your tubes be sure to specify the more expensive heavy duty types. The light weight ones puncture far too easily.
The difference is chalk and cheese.

Peter
47p2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are puncture resistant tubes available, similar to the ones for bicycles
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for advise, all noted. Smile
Inglewood

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ensure the tyres are suitable for tubes - this may seem daft, but tubeless tyres are generally rough and unfinished on the inside and will chafe a tube.

Tyres made for tubes are generally smooth on the inside.

When you have selected the tyre product you wish to use it is best to contact the tyre manufacture 'customer services' to ask for advice regarding tubes. They should help and afterwards they have the liability for the advice and product.

If you mix and match tyres with old tubes etc, you as the user will be on your own so to speak if the product(s) fail.
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for input Inglewood, tyres are for my vintage car 5.25 x 21 so I am going to the Northants Tyre Supplier and having the tyres parcelled to me. My local independent tyre Company will fit for me. It may seem mean to see if I can still use the old tubes but at 70 pounds its a fair lump of money. Smile
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the price of inner tubes is outrageous. They literally cost pence to make and I am sure new tooling has not been made. We are being shafted.
Dax Rush
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I knew the "old" inner tubes had not been in long I would never trust my life to them by re-using. Remember tubed tyres usually deflate much faster than tubeless types, sometimes with dire results.
Take note of what Inglewood says! I have seen many tubes chafed through from being fitted in tubeless covers and they still deflate just as fast with air escaping through the valve hole in the rim.
Jim.
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advise Jim, probably for the sake of 70 pounds perhaps it could be the best idea to fit new after all.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my Stag 3 of the 4 tyres had been fitted with inner tubes, these were a constant source of trouble; punctures, slow and fast. When I went for about the 4th puncture the tyre shop suggested that they took all the tyres off the rims to establish why tubes had been fitted in the first place, end result was that they simply cleaned up the inner rims , refitted the tyres without tubes, and i have not had a problem since..

Dave
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purchased the new heavyweight tubes and Firestone tyres, local tyre man will fit for a tenner a wheel. Great service and next day delivery from Northants, along with best price too. Very Happy
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B.T.
Just got four new HD Inner tubes and rim tapes from the same people, as you say next day delivery, and that was a late in the day order.

I replaced all the tyres, about this time last year, the tubes seemed in good form, no hard or stiff patches, still had some of the old talc on them.

The car has stood since November, two flats tyres, new valves, pumped them up and were flat in about an hour.

I had a spare tube for each end, two sizes of tyres, changed the tubes, both of the old tubes still look good but both have multiple leaks.

Not going anywhere till the new tubes are fitted.

OK I know I should have changed the tubes at the same time as the covers, but pennies were lacking, one thing and another things got forgotten, I was lucky that The car was laid up and not flying around somewhere.

Roger
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.H. yes I do feel happier having bit the bullet and splashed out. Two of the old Firestone tyres on my car are dreadful condition, how the previous owner managed to get a fresh MOT for me upon my purchase is beyond me! Side wall cracking and even some tread lift on one of the tyres. As I am towing my vintage caravan I will put my new rubber onto the rear of the car I think.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever useage, I have always used my best tyres on the front. Loss of control from the front end is much more dangerous and more difficult to deal with than on the rear.
Just my opinion.
Jim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: