classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1958 Austin A35 2 door restoration
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Richard H

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keef wrote:

You'll be taking this up professionally soon. Smile

Haha, it's just a hobby for me, I think I'd soon get bored of working on other people's cars. I work a lot of evening/night shifts and with the nice weather we've had recently it's been very pleasant indeed working outside in the sun, short sleeves and shorts Very Happy

I'm planning to fit a better secondhand drivers door tomorrow, as the (unfinished) repairs to the bottom leave quite a lot to be desired, and it is notoriously difficult to get a good finish on the doorskin due to it flexing as you sand the filler.
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Richard
One question though, shouldn't the airbag be inside? Laughing
Aar0sc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that was quick!!!

Want to pop round and weld up my battery bay and floors? Very Happy
Richard H

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another small update, probably the last for the weekend.

Got the engine back together at last. I bodged the bypass hose with a piece of brass pipe and chemical metal in the end, seems to be dry. It's also got a new radiator, top and bottom hoses, thermostat and housing, and water pump.

We then tried to get the engine running. After loads of messing about cleaning points and plugs I tried a different rotor arm...and we have spark! Using petrol syringed directly into the carb it burst into life and ran for a few seconds. It is very noisy and rough because the exhaust is blowing and I suspect a valve or two may be sticking as well. One of the jobs to do in the near future is find out exactly why the fuel pump isn't pumping, if it's the pump itself or the old A30/35 problem of a blocked petrol tank.

Then I decided to try fitting a good secondhand drivers door from my stash of spare parts as the original needed a lot of work, it fits surprisingly well and doesn't need any adjustment Very Happy

And a final view for today

The only welding left to do now is a small bit in front of the O/S spring hanger, and the N/S/R floor. It's getting there!

Last edited by Richard H on Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the plans for paintwork? re-paint the whole car or just the replacement panels, and try to get a match with the old paint? Or just run it as a technicolour dreamcoat Smile ?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Richard H

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I quite like the "skint 1970's student" look but I think it will have to be resprayed eventually, the paint that remains isn't that great. Hopefully after the MOT though Smile

I had planned to do some grinding, sanding and welding today but next door were having a barbecue Rolling Eyes so I decided it would be a bit antisocial to start sanding filler in the garden so had to resort to painting repairs, cleaning and refitting door cards and fitting the handle and lock to the new door. And polishing the dashboard.

I need to change the oil and grease up the Cambridge tomorrow, after which I might get a little done on the A35.
Richard H

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much to report really, but I've done a bit of work on the old girl Smile

Firstly I did a compression test to establish where the problem was, and there was zero compression on No.4. Ah.

So off with the rocker cover, and one of the valves on No.4 was seized open. It took a couple of hours of dousing with penetrating oil and working backwards and forwards with molegrips to free it off. The good news is it now runs, drives and stops very well - although still on a gravity feed. I unscrewed the fuel line at the tank and nothing came out, so it looks like the tank may be blocked Sad

Got the welding finished.

Got rid of the nasty seat covers and repaired the original seats - they're not perfect, but you can't get replacement trim in this shade. This type of trim was known as "twill" and was only fitted to Island Blue A35's. I had to use a scrap twill seat to patch the drivers seat.

And now I'm at the filling, sanding, more filling, more sanding stage, which I hate. It's getting there, slowly. Anyone got a good passenger door they don't need? Wink

bob2

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its getting along nicely Richard, well done.
I wish I could do bodywork repairs like you're doing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: