classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1970 Lincoln Continental Coupe
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: 1970 Lincoln Continental Coupe Reply with quote

I found my restoration in a barn a few years ago. It’s a 1970 Lincoln Continental Coupe. It is not a Mark series, which is the usual one that is seen.

It’s a big car. Its 18’ 9” (5715mm) long, 6’ 7” (2022mm) wide, and has a kerb weight of nearly 2.5 tons. Powering all this along the road is a 460” (7.5 litre) V8 with 365bhp @460rpm and 500lbs. ft. of torque. Needless to say, its an automatic. As is usual with American cars, it has loads of extras, some that were quite advanced for 1970. AM/FM Stereo radio with 4 speakers, Power aerial, Central locking, Automatic Headlamp dimmer, Tilt Steering wheel, Six way Power seat, Automatic ride control (self levelling suspension), Sure Track Brakes (ABS), and no less than 18 sequential taillights!

The first winter was spent making it roadworthy, and then I drove it for a few seasons making sure that it was reliable, and doing some jobs each winter. At the end of summer 2005, I took it off the road in order to do a complete restoration. At present, I’m getting rid of the rust, which turned out to be more than I expected. More precisely, I’m making up a new patch panel for the boot floor, which I will be welding in place soon.

A big problem that I have is getting hold of certain spare parts that are unique to the car, which at present is really slowing up the restoration. According to information received, only 3073 of this car were ever manufactured, which is probably the reason!
admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for weighing in with a thread about your resto (any more out there?)

do you ever find stuff on the bay for your Continental?

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/ebay.htm?ebaylink=Lincoln+Continental

Question
Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny enough, no, not really! I dont watch it all that carefully, but whenever I have seen a 70 on ebay, its either been a Mark III or a 4 door. Though quite a few 4 door parts fit, none of them have ever been suitable!

Then again, I've forgotten what some of them are called in US English! Just this question of spare parts is making the resto interesting, but time consuming.
admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you started taking any photos of recent progress? Very Happy

Rick.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be truthful, there hasn't been much progress of late, as I've been sidetracked with the 300!

As soon as I can get hold of some L-56 or equivalent, I will get the boot floor patch panel finished and in place. I am planning to take a series of photos of this work, and will post them when its completed.
iceman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Old Ford Sierra Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

Throughout 2007 i will be dismantling an old 1983/4 Ford Sierra ghia and rebuilding it using Formula One technology that is around today.
It is going to be a complete rebuild from engine to aero work and although it will still look like a Sierra it will hopeully have a shock and awe effect from all the new internal and external enhancements that i have designed myself.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iceman, why not start a new thread about your Sierra?

UJ
admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an unusual project for sure, and definitely worth its own thread Cool

Rick
iceman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:
iceman, why not start a new thread about your Sierra?

UJ

I wasn't sure where to put it to be honest with you.

Embarassed
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would put it in this section if I was you, so you can outline the work you do on it as it happens.

Cheers

Dave
iceman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks Very Happy
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its time for an update on my project.

The patch panel for the boot floor is now finished, and I've just spent some time removing the petrol tank, as its too close to the welding for comfort.

The big trouble is, with the tank out of the way, it exposed a patch of rust that is absolutely impossible to get at without removing the body from the chassis...

I'm glad I've got another classic to run around in!
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I just love it when that happens, you remove somethig to do a small job and it turns into a major one! Waht a pain!

Cheers

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be truthfull, I dont really mind if I have to do a body-off restoration. The only problem is where to store the body during the time it is removed. Otherwise, it will just allow for a better job, and teach me a bit more!
admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spose it'd be quite a large body to lift, and store wouldn't it!?!??!!!

R
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: