classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1970 Lincoln Continental Coupe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is a large body. Even if I remove the front bodywork up to the bulkhead, its still about 14' long! Biggest problem thoughis the fact that I dont have the ceiling height. I had a quick look earlier. Just to get the body clear, I need around 8', which is not something I have. Above that, I need space for my lifting gear and so on! So its on with my thinking cap.
Stuchamp

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you have already thought of this but do you have enough room to lift just the rear of the body to get clearance to repair your panel?
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stuchamp. Thats one of a couple of ideas that I have been looking into today, so you read my mind (again!).

The ceiling in my workshop is quite low, about 84" excluding the lighting, so the biggest problem trying to work around that. At present, I'm figuring that the best thing is to do the lifting outside, and put the body on some kind of trailer or dolly to keep it moveable.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided that the best way out for me is to remove the body. I've managed to organise free storage a 100 yards away, so I'm feeling quite happy about that.

The big problem now is to locate some body insulators, ie the rubbers that mount the body to the chassis, before I start. Unless I am very lucky, the ones that are on now will be destroyed upon removal due to corrosion.

The trouble is, I suspect that they are almost impossible to locate. I've seen that one guy on the net who is restoring a '70 four door has been looking for these parts for a couple of years without success. Does anyone have any ideas?
Stuchamp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your not looking for originals, what I have done over the years is to use Chevy pickup body mount insulators. They have a variety of types from '67 and newer that can be reworked to fit most needs. I've also cut up old tires to make them.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea, stuchamp. I suppose at a push, even Bowtie parts can be used! Some of them are likely the same anyway!
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that this photo is posted elsewhere on the forum, but I couldn't find it, and have been asked what it looks like... so:

UJ
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not posted an update on this for a while, so here it is!

All of the welding that can be completed before removing the body has been. So now there is going to be a temporary lull in proceedings until I can get an extension built for my workshop. In the meantime, I'm looking for some of the more difficult spares that I need, as well as making a start on the interior.

By pure chance, I managed to locate some of the correct material for that in Hamburg, so I'll be paying a visit there shortly.

On the point of spares and interior, I would like to thank rebel62 for offering to look out for spares for me, as well as mistydog for finding a supplier of mohair for my headliner. Guys, you are real gents. Very Happy

UJ
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as an update on this, I got word today from Hamburg that they will have the original colour interior material ready to be collected the first week of February. So guess where I will be taking a trip to?

All I need now is for the planning permission to come through for my workshop extension, so that I can build it and continue this project properly!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quite a long garage needed huh!? Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will go in the garage, thats no problem. The trouble is, its already full...

So I decided to add the extra space if I can get permission. Been waiting 15 months so far...or is it more? I forget!
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have finally managed to get all of the correct material for the interior of the car. Mohair for the headliner (thanks to a lead from Misty Dog) and the correct leather / vinyl for the rest.

All that I need now, that I know of anyway, are 6 parts...but where can I find them? Get those, and the planning permission, and finally the reto will be moving along.... Very Happy
shadowlinc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: 70 continental Reply with quote

I was doing a random search on google and found this forum you wont believe that i have the same exact car ive had for 11 years now slowly restoring parts are very hard to come by but i have found in my time with the car a parts car i used up and have lots of extra parts let me know if you need anything, you can see my car on craigslist.com in hampton roads virginia do a search for 70 continental and youll find it. you can email me at shadowlinc70@cox.net[/img]
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just found your car. It looks good, and is indeed identical to mine. I have one question though. Does yours have the sequential rear lights?

Theres a pm on its way to you shortly with a list of the parts that I am needing.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that I would post a little update on progress here.

Contact with shadowlinc has helped me with a lot of the parts that were missing or needed replacing. So there are thanks to him.

Rick (thanks again) put me in touch with someone at HMG, who has given good advice regarding the paint. That also led in a very roundabout way to contact with another company that gave me a second solution to the paint problem. So from having no solution at all, I suddenly have two... Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: