classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Seen anything interesting????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 434, 435, 436 ... 477, 478, 479  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Light blue metallic Peugeot 205 GTi today.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only glimpsed the back end through an open garage door in passing through Blackwood, but a Minor saloon that appeared to have just been sprayed - new looking paint (pale colour but wouldn't like to say exactly what) but devoid of trim, glass and so on.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very presentable Sunbeam Rapier being carried on the back of a truck on my way home last night.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a chance to inspect three classics close up today in my neighbours's garage. A 1973 Triumph Stag in the rare purple colour. Needs a bit of work.

An MGB GT in original orange also needing some attention.

Finally, an MG TF in BRG. When the brakes are done will be back on the road.

I don't think taking photos would sit well with the owner but we know what they look like.

Last edited by Ray White on Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:58 pm; edited 3 times in total
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that is a Daimler DB18 Consort with Mulliner coachwork?

At one time these were being left to rot. Hopefully more appreciated these days. Wink
lowdrag

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I can't even remember seeing - ever. A Peugeot 304 2-door coupé. I didn't even know it existed!
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
According to Wiki;
Quote:
Coupé and cabriolet versions replaced their 204 forerunners in March 1970, being the first models to receive the "S" version of the engine two years later in March 1972. However, the cabriolet and coupé 304s were withdrawn from the market, without direct replacements, respectively in July 1972 and August 1973.

So not on the market for very long

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very clean Mustang fastback in a dark grey metallic colour just went past while I was waiting to be sheared.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passed a lovely yellow Austin 7 Ruby convertible this afternoon out in the pleasant sunshine.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotted a couple of times around Blackwood this evening, a young chap driving on L plates with an older gent riding shotgun... in a tidy yellow Spitfire 1500 with the hood down. I wish him well with his test whenever they're allowed again, wonder if he will use the Spitfire to take it?
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Not unless it has been fitted with proper head restraint seats and 3 point seat belts.
If it's a soft top, it might be refused if it is raining because the hood probably won't give visibility for the examiner.

Straight 6
V8 V10
consul 57

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
Spotted a couple of times around Blackwood this evening, a young chap driving on L plates with an older gent riding shotgun... in a tidy yellow Spitfire 1500 with the hood down. I wish him well with his test whenever they're allowed again, wonder if he will use the Spitfire to take it?

possibly not, you cant even use one of those toyota IQ's, one of my instructor friends bought one and had to get rid of it very soon afterwards as it was banned from being used in a test, it was not banned until after he bought it!
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I never knew that!!

What an incredible mine of information this forum is!! Very Happy
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I have now found the page I was looking for earlier about cars for Cat B tests.
Quote:
Cars presented for test must:

have four wheels
have a Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) not exceeding 3,500 kilograms (kgs)
be capable of a speed of at least 100 kilometers per hour (km/h) or 62.5 miles per hour (mph)
have a seatbelt for the examiner
have a front passenger head restraint (this needn't be adjustable but must be fitted as an integral part of the seat - 'slip on' type head restraints aren't permitted)
have an interior mirror for the examiner's use (mirror on visor is not acceptable)
have L-plates which are clearly visible from the front and rear of the vehicle and don't interfere with the driver's or examiner's view
have a speedometer that measures speed in miles per hour and kilometres per hour
have rear seats and seat belts
be unladen

and

Quote:
Unsuitable vehicles for category B tests
The vast majority of hatchbacks, saloons and estate cars are suitable for the driving test. Increasingly, the designers of cars are producing models with sweeping lines which have good forward vision but have large blind spots to the rear and present examiners with problems of observation.

Vehicles supplied by motor manufacturers have obviously been through the type approval process but this approval concentrates on vehicles from a driver’s point of view and may make the vehicle unsuitable for the purposes of the driving test.

Vehicles for test must allow examiners all round vision to allow them to see approaching vehicles, particularly when the car is at an angle to other vehicles during reversing manoeuvres and also when emerging at a junction with the vehicle at an angle to the major road.

For example, the Ford KA convertible, Mini convertible, VW Beetle convertible, and Toyota iQ have been risk-assessed and are unsuitable due to the lack of all round vision for the examiner.

DVSA, of course, don't know what every instructor will opt for; probably 95%+ would chose something mainstream so it is only 2000 instructors who try to pick something out of the ordinary and only a very few of them would opt to go convertible or very small the others choosing to go larger because of their personal or client profiles.

Straight 6
V8 V10
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 434, 435, 436 ... 477, 478, 479  Next
Page 435 of 479

Jump to: