classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Seen anything interesting????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 437, 438, 439 ... 478, 479, 480  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw a rather sad looking Minor saloon in Bargoed last night. I think I spotted it a couple of years ago on the same short dead end side street; back then it appeared to be in regular use. Now it's still parked on the street but is utterly filthy and obviously hasn't moved for a while as little tufts of grass have sprouted in the muck that's accumulated behind the tyres on the uphill side. I fear it will only be a matter of time before it's towed away and probably crushed as an abandoned vehicle, shame as the body doesn't look at all bad under the accumulated dirt. If anyone's interested in trying to trace an owner (maybe someone who fell victim to c'virus?) PM me for the exact location, could try and snap a couple of pictures next time I'm passing in the daylight but since photobucket et al got greedy I rarely bother...
badhuis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flickr.com is still free
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

badhuis wrote:
flickr.com is still free

It is, but only for a relatively small number of images.
badhuis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:
badhuis wrote:
flickr.com is still free

I find it works well if you want to share pics to forums like this.
Maybe you need to pay if you want to put hundreds of pics to it.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:
badhuis wrote:
flickr.com is still free

And for how long? it's enough of a hassle signing up to these things once what with having to invent a password and write it down somewhere - I have a couple of notebooks now full of passwords and most of them are redundant - without doing it multiple times.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without wanting to drag this onto a topic that has its own separate thread somewhere, I use postimage.org which has been quite good, but the question of "for how long?" is very valid. If a forum has the facility to attach an image to a thread (and therefore host that image itself) I'm tending to use that rather than my own hosting, because it's less likely that the thread will be ruined in a few years when my choice of photo host decides to change their terms. It's not unusual for me to post a "spotted" photo on another forum and then just copy the bbcode to this and others rather than upload it once for each forum, though some don't like that.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I "lost" over 1,000 photos I had stored on photobucket and on a recent upgrade found that on my backup system here I have nearly 50,000 photos. all backed up now in triplicate. I'm not a great fan of Thumbsnap but needs must if I want to post photos.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having worked in the IT industry for a long time I'm wary of anything thats "free" especially storage........the servers, network and support all have to be paid for some how.

Photobucket came to grief Because business were using it to host pictures for commercial web sites, although they may have only hosted a few hundred images which on it own costs very little, the network traffic was huge and made the whole thing untenable.

The only way that "free" hosting can really be maintained is by advertising, corporations only have so much to spend on advertising, so with the increasing number of online places to advertise the revenues for the hosting company's is getting more thinly spread.

Another thing with free hoisting is that one has virtually no rights or recourse in the event of data loss , and in many cases are surrendering some IP rights too.

There is no such thing as a free lunch !

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a different problem with regard to photos. I am using 'postimage'. When I select "choose images" and I select 'photos' I find all my photos from the past 8 years have been muddled up.

There is a way round, however, as I can get the photos in the correct order by selecting "photos" on my lap top and lift them to the desk top. By then lifting to the "select images" box on the postimage page it worked fine.

I did it like this for some time but now I am being told that the system is full. I have tried to delete many old photos but the system still will not transfer new photos to my lap top.

I am therefore unable update OCC with progress on my TC restoration as I simply don't know enough about how the technology works to put things back to normal. Sad
petelang

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody computers eh Ray! I've just wasted an hour of my life waiting for mine to boot up after an "update" which it seems to do nearly every other day, only then to have the printer throw its dummy out and act up...
It would be quicker going back to pen and paper sometimes.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petelang wrote:
Bloody computers eh Ray! I've just wasted an hour of my life waiting for mine to boot up after an "update" which it seems to do nearly every other day, only then to have the printer throw its dummy out and act up...

I can usually rely on my wife to rescue the situation but even she can't sort this mess out. I wonder if I take it down to PC World they will know what to do?

Confused
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this section of the thread should be snipped off into the existing one about hosting, or a new one, before we derail the spots completely.

Ray, I'm confused - is it your PC that's complaining it is full, or Postimage? If you're finding all the images muddled up together, do you use folders within your "Photos" folder to keep things together, or just shove everything in the one location?
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:
Maybe this section of the thread should be snipped off into the existing one about hosting, or a new one, before we derail the spots completely.

Ray, I'm confused - is it your PC that's complaining it is full, or Postimage? If you're finding all the images muddled up together, do you use folders within your "Photos" folder to keep things together, or just shove everything in the one location?

You are confused??!!

It is something to do with a "cloud" being full. What I don't understand is why, if I delete a load of old photos I still can't (upload/download or something) make enough space for some new ones.

The photos are all together in one place in my lap top "photos" section. When I try to access them through postimage they get jumbled up. No problem if I go to "photos" directly.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petelang wrote:

If I could go back to landlines and letters in the post I'd do it in a heartbeat most days. No kidding.
Bengt Axel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heading north up the A49 through Little Budworth yesterday afternoon was a 1912 15hp Iris tourer. A quite a good lick too, it must be said
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 437, 438, 439 ... 478, 479, 480  Next
Page 438 of 480

Jump to: