classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How To Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy Policy     F/book facebook.com/oldclassiccar

1924 Dodge Four tourer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked a lovely day for a trundle there.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Dodge came in handy today. I had to ferry some newly-delivered bits for the modern to the local garage this morning. SWMBO was out in her car, the Volvo's battery was flat, so that left the Dodge to perform the run out. It was quite misty to begin with but the sun was breaking through by the time I got home, a pleasant trip really.

RJ
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I finally got on with a job I've been meaning to do for ages on little Dodge - remove the horrible (temporary) electric engine fan, and fit a replacement mechanical assembly that I sourced in the US.

With the blades gently persuaded back into shape, it didn't take long to fettle up the replacement unit and give it the oily rag treatment (I didn't want to paint it as it'd stick out like a sore thumb under the bonnet).

Initial tests seem to suggest it works ok, but I'll need to do a few local runs before I'll be entirely confident with it.

I did a vid covering the work here, contains rambling: https://youtu.be/ZGUsTMsBeM4

RJ
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annoyingly the replacement fan assembly makes a horrible rattling noise now, there's quite a bit of play too. Long-term I think it should be possible to make one good assy out of the two I now have, but for the short-term I may just re-fit the electric one. Hmpphhhhh

RJ
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Annoyingly the replacement fan assembly makes a horrible rattling noise now, there's quite a bit of play too. Long-term I think it should be possible to make one good assy out of the two I now have, but for the short-term I may just re-fit the electric one. Hmpphhhhh

RJ

Do you actually need the fan, Rick? I found with just the water pump and thermo it still ran too cool.

...then again I cleaned loads of Ozzy sand out of my engine and the rad was a 'commercial ' replacement.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Rick wrote:

RJ

Do you actually need the fan, Rick? I found with just the water pump and thermo it still ran too cool.

...then again I cleaned loads of Ozzy sand out of my engine and the rad was a 'commercial ' replacement.

I think it gets warm on a hot day after a run without a fan, especially if I have to stop in traffic, so it needs something despite the rad being cleaned and pressure tested when it was repaired.

RJ
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope it doesn't let go like the last one did. I crack tested my TC blades and it looks like one of them is beginning to crack.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
I really hope it doesn't let go like the last one did. I crack tested my TC blades and it looks like one of them is beginning to crack.

I must admit that I'm very very wary now of being near the engine when it's running, perhaps a switch to electric (again) isn't such a bad idea

RJ
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Scott recently made the point that things like electric fans look inappropriate in the engine bay of an old car. So true!

In this case it is a difficult balancing act between what looks right and what is safe.

Your call.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Peter Scott recently made the point that things like electric fans look inappropriate in the engine bay of an old car. So true!

In this case it is a difficult balancing act between what looks right and what is safe.

Your call.

To be honest I agree with Peter, they jar badly in an otherwise standard engine bay. My 12yr-old will likely dis-own me if I re-instate the electric fan, even temporarily, but at the moment it's that or not use the car, and with a Christmas tree collection due in the not-too-distant ....

RJ
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can well appreciate Rick's apprehension after experiencing a blade failure and I too would happily fit something modern until I could find a period design that I could trust.

Peter.
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know what is failing? is it the shaft bearings? Is the belt tension putting too much pressure on them?

How's about lining the radiator core with a box full of computer fans? No-one would notice, honest....
Cannon special [1996 registered. Built in 1950's]
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember having to make up some parts for my Dodge Brothers fan. It was missing bushings of any kind!!

Peter_L

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.vintageair.com/accessories/?subcat1=Replacement%20Parts&subcat2=Fan%20Blades&subcat3=&order=name

If you haven't previously seen this.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished re-installing the elec fan today, it can stay like that for the timebeing while I concentrate on other things.

I also fitted a rare, smaller-than-the-usual, Pyrene fire extinguisher marked up as "for Light Cars" which I'd not seen before finding this one, it's a bit aged looking but suits the rest of the car, probably 1920s/1930s.

RJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 17 of 19

Jump to: