classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How To Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy Policy     F/book facebook.com/oldclassiccar

1924 Dodge Four tourer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New wheel bearings fitted. This involves pushing in the cups into the wheel centres, which took a little time, but at least that job is hopefully done and dusted now.

I took off the exhaust manifold next, I'll clean that up and get it back on asap with its new copper crush rings.

RJ
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a look at re-fitting the blasted and painted manifold yesterday evening. Alas the copper rings, while probably suitable for an as-new manifold, are too slim to work with my manifold that doesn't have perfect seating edges.

I've since sourced some slightly beefier gaskets (designed for motorcycles) on ebay, so hopefully they'll arrive fairly soon and I can get the car up and running once more.

RJ
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I await new gaskets for the manifold, I got on with fitting the new coupling that fits between the magneto and the water pump. As ever I underestimated how long it'd take, what with cutting down new bolts to fit, then finding nuts and washers to fit them. Still, another job ticked off the list.

RJ
john-saab

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
I had a look at re-fitting the blasted and painted manifold yesterday evening. Alas the copper rings, while probably suitable for an as-new manifold, are too slim to work with my manifold that doesn't have perfect seating edges.

I've since sourced some slightly beefier gaskets (designed for motorcycles) on ebay, so hopefully they'll arrive fairly soon and I can get the car up and running once more.

RJ

Let me know the dimensions as I have several large boxes of very old gaskets (copper on the outside but asbestos cord in the center)
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John, I think I'm ok for the manifold mounting gaskets (I think), however I may need a manifold:downpipe gasket or two before I'm finished. I'll check the dimensions.

Yesterday I took the manifold off to a machine shop for a couple of jobs. Firstly, there are a couple of nasty cracks that need investigation (this is beginning to sound familiar), one has been poorly repaired in the past, while the other is partially inaccessible.

Also, the manifold looks to have been blowing for years, as a result the four circular ports that join up to the engine when it's fitted, are in places worn very thin, and quite uneven. The plan is hopefully to machine them up so that they're uniformly level, and as a result seal ok, as getting a gas-tight seal is proving problematic.

While I was waiting for something to run during the forum upgrade yesterday, I dug out my newly-delivered spark plugs and gapped them up, ready to fit.

RJ
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waterjet UK at Burland will precision cut any material if you need some bespoke gaskets.

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Waterjet UK at Burland will precision cut any material if you need some bespoke gaskets.

Dave

Thanks for the reminder, I'll bear them in mind. A friend of mine had them make up a batch of rare bits for early bicycles recently using that process.

RJ
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1920's Dodge promotional film, designed to promote their ruggedness - interesting, if you like '20s cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq2jY1trxqg

RJ
stuchamp

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
1920's Dodge promotional film, designed to promote their ruggedness - interesting, if you like '20s cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq2jY1trxqg

RJ

That was good!
Almost better than a Jeep. Cool
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up the repaired manifold from the engineers today, so that can go back on and hopefully it will no longer blow.

RJ
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see another old Dodge has turned up online, due to go to auction soon, although it'll need some sorting by the looks of it, not sure about the "sudden" paintjob either, but it has the makings of something presentable and vintage.

http://bit.ly/16OnJZo

RJ
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spent a fair chunk of time on the tourer recently, mainly around setting up the advance and retard mechanism so that it works properly, getting the exhaust manifold to seal (it still doesn't), and fettling the brakes.

Saturday was spent adjusting the (rear-only) brakes, the footbrake actuates external contracting bands, while the hand (emergency) brake works inside the drum.

The exhaust manifold seals better now that I've had the ports machined flat and the cracks welded, but the studs aren't brilliant so I'm awaiting new ones in the post. I've experimented with a variety of gasket types, most successful are composite alloy and copper types more usually fitted to motorcycles.

The first time I got the advance and retard mechanism working correctly, I found that it would foul the steering column due to a flange on a small section of the column's circumference. It had the effect of retarding the ignition after turning a corner - not ideal, so in the end I switched the mechanism around so that it operates in reverse on the column lever, but at the base of the column there are now no issues of fouling.

I took it for (another) spin yesterday, which is when these photos were taken, and it ran reasonably but was still prone to spluttering under load. Suspecting points issues in the mag I removed it yesterday afternoon, and dismantled the base plate to clean up and re-adjust the points (they had closed up). The engine sounds crisper now but I'll wait now for the weather to improve before going for another test. I also suspect possible fuel vaporisation issues, but one thing at a time!!

A few shots of dismantling the magneto, not something I've had any experience of fiddling with.

Here it is on the bench, with the end cover and the bakelite "distributor plate" (cap) removed.

The advance and retard lever assembly on the mag simply slides off, rotating it alters the position of the cams inside it, thus altering the timing. The centre bolt holds the CB assembly in place.

Now removed

Removing the points to clean up their contact surfaces was straightforward enough, as was re-assembly. The points are in good nick but I'd like to find some spares if possible, the mag is an Eisemann G4 Edition 2.

RJ
D4B

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos Rick Cool Cool Cool
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was evidence of sealant having been used around the joint where the carb bolts to the block (no separate manifold), so this evening's little job was to remove the carb and clean it out. The strainer within was crumpled and more than a little clogged up, so that was attended to before another gasket was created and the whole lot replaced. Just in time to watch a bit of Les Dawson on TV Smile

RJ
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As posted in the other thread, yesterday evening saw the local VSCC meet take place. I had been in two minds about taking the tourer out, as a test run earlier in the day demonstrated that the misfire under load was still much in evidence.

Still, I took it anyway and it went quite well, better than in the daytime, especially once in top gear and not under much in the way of load. It was in good company, as the photos show. It was approaching 10pm by the time the meet wound up, so a run home at dusk gave the lamps some work to do Smile

RJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 4 of 19

Jump to: