classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1965 Singer Vogue Mk3 re-commissioning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Raymond

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: parts general Reply with quote

hi kev. i am new to this site. my name is Ray i live in paignton devon. I am 60 yo and quite used to old cars. used to have my own restoration buissness. getting back to your enquirey. should you wish, join the owners club for a start they will have access to a good parts that you might not get hold of. next. here is a small list of parts suppliers some you might know. SPEEDY SPARES, PAST PARTS, POWERTRAC. All available on the internet. SPEEDY SPARES in particular they used to known as R.j.grimes of coulsdon in surrey.....many moons ago. thier speciality is ROOTES CARS. however, brake parts are very good to obtain as you mention your master cylinder. not a problem to obtain, as the master cylinder is not unique to your car. loads of other car makes used the same cylinder. would strongly recommend you totaly overhaul the brakes in light of the time she has been idle. be prepard to change a lot of stuff on your car as it comes back into use. ie, coolant hoses. electrics being moody. Has the cars cooling system been filled with antifreeze? or plain water? if plain water flush the system right out you will be suprised how much rust and silt will have accumalated. better still do it any way. your a lucky guy she is a lovely example. i am restoreing a singer vogue myself but the "ARROW" series i am informed she is the oldest known vougue registerd november 1966! lastly kev check the tyre walls!!! they might be perished badly. Ray[/i]
kevin2306

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have seen my other post regarding fuel hose (or as those in the old school say 'petrol pipe')
Called in Demon Tweeks on the way home tonight to get some Goodrich hose, unfortunately they were out of stock, not a total loss however as they had some ethanol proof standard hose. Bought a length, along with a new fuel filter and some hose clips, previously I used genuine jubilee clips but I think they havnt helped the old hose split and break down.
Got home and made a start.
This is how the old (new) pipe had deteriorated after just a few months:

And this is the new set up:

Whilst under the bonnet I decided to check the newly fitted, new carb.
The car is running much better with it but not spot on. Got the manual out and checked the factory spec jets.
Pulled the jets out one by one and found them to be different from the spec. Got the old carb out and did the same process. All the jets in the old carb were correct to spec so I changed them into the new carb body.
Running much better again, the only ones I didnt change were the air correction jets. The old ones are a small length that screw into the top of the emulsion tubes, the new ones fit into the tubes the same but are long, much like a football airline adapter. Size 190 jets in the later shape are unavailable now.
I may change them this weekend and see if they work.
The car is running slightly rich when out on the road, not excessively so but the bigger jet may weaken her slightly, dont want to go too lean as that will cause damage.
(pulled a plug when i got home from a test run, nice brown ceramic insulator but slightly black tip)
Any solex twin choke experts on the forum?

Kev
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So following yesterdays successful reliability trials, I thought I would have a check over things for a few hours.
The weather today was utterly rubbish so great excuse for spending it in the garage Very Happy
First on the 'to do list' was to re-torque the wheel nuts, I had reservations about having the wheels powder coated due to a few stories I had heard about the nuts coming loose. Pleased to report that all was fine.
Next up was a tidy up of some wiring under the bonnet, taking out the remnants of the old lucas electronic ignition and its various add ons. Much neater now.
Decided that next on the list was the rocker cover gasket. There was (may still be Laughing ) an oil weep from the cover at the rear. Whipped the cover off, plenty of residue on the inside so that went in the parts washer.
Once it had soaked for a while, I cleaned the inside with a brillo pad followed by a good rinse. Prepped the 2 mating surfaces and fitted a new cork gasket, using some grease as a sealant. Had a bit of a wipe around the engine, looks a lot cleaner but havnt removed the patina or over polished stuff.

After having a break to put a curtain pole and curtains up in my sons bedroom, I had a bit of a hoover and polish session on the interior. Smells fab and looks lovely. Such a nice place to be.

Weather dependant, I may give her a wash and wax tomorrow in preparation for next weeks Clwyd veteran and Vintage show near Oswestry, Any1 else attending?

http://www.cvvms.co.uk/next_show.htm

Kev
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit more cleaning today (not much though) before I was out and about in the Singer. Needed some fuel so went to the local station and filed up with some higher grade fuel, must say the engine really loves it!! very very smooth.

Not as long a jaunt today, but still managed 50 miles, absolutely loving it..took advantage for a a quick picture

Decided to start getting ready for next weeks vintage show, Cool box out of the loft along with 2 deck chairs. Went to put them in the boot..chairs are too big, so a purchase is in order sometime this week.

Great day all in all

Kev
kevin2306

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished work handy today so decided to finish a few jobs off.
First up was a new breather pipe from the petrol tank (from the filler neck and through the boot floor). Had to order some as it was a size I didnt have, all done and even put a dab of tiger seal on the internal to make sure it was a good seal.
Next up was a good vacuum, followed by a wipe over of the seats, they have been cleaned previously but got grubby due to me jumping in and out during the ignition problem period.
Lastly, had a revisit to the front quarter light rubber seals. The old ones were perished beyond use, the new ones (all the way from OZ) were decent quality rubber but a crap fit. Fitted them as best I could a few months ago, they were water tight but the wind noise was very apparent.
Ive left them until now to let things bed in. Got my plastic spatula like tool and teased the edge around the glass and chrome, to my utter delight the opening light popped right into the seal, finishing pretty much flush overall, a quick test drive (gotta take advantage eh) shows a near silent interior during driving..result...

Ordered a new chamois leather so hopefully thursday I can give her a wash and leather ready for the weekend show.
Busy tomorrow night but free wednesday so I may drop the engine oil and replace with some premium 20/50 oil Ive bought ready.

Kev
kevin2306

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like parcels Very Happy

When i was having ignition problems a week or so ago, and went with the accspark distributor, sods law deemed that another option would turn up.
Did a great deal with an ebay seller (turned out to be an elderly chappie who is an enthusiast selling his stock) for a factory refurbished distributor in the correct flavor.
Whilst I not longer need it, using it will allow me to put the Vogue back to standard, inc the correct adv and retard settings.
So, the plan is to enjoy the car for a month or 2 with the accuspark fitted (to be fair, it runs really sweetly with it) then swap over to the new standard distributor and see how it runs with that fitted. I aim to try it for a while with the points set-up then convert to an electronic set up, similar to the Britpart set up.
That should give me a really stable set-up plus a great spare as back up.

Kev
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didnt have much planned this weekend so decided to get the Singer out as much as I could.
What I did was use the Singer as my daily driver for the weekend and I must say its been a superb and rewarding weekend with loads of miles done.
Started by going to tesco and filling up with some 99ron fuel. Only normally use the usual standard unleaded, but having used some of the 99 in my MX with great results, and having a 12p off per litre offer, though I would see how the Singer performs on it. To be fully truthful, its worth paying the extra. The car runs and performs a lot better, tick over is super smooth.
Took a few snaps.

Met this classic in asda

Stopped off at a local redevelopment of a former private school, not been there since it was converted. It seems a lovely place to live and was the home of Sir John Wynn in the 17th century

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wynnstay

We then headed up and over the tops, stopping to look down over Llangollen

So, all in all a great weekend of classic motoring. The car exceeds any preconception I had and is a total joy to drive.
Booked into a small railway show with her next week, they also have a 1960s show at the end of July so I will see if I can get an invite.
Was hoping to get into the Malpas show, entries are full and to be honest the reply I had to my email was the unfriendly response I remember from when I went there years ago with a bike.

Kev
kevin2306

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a lovely day out with the Singer yesterday (Sunday) at the Llangollen Railway show.

Pics here:

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16015&highlight=

It was a very friendly affair, with a free ride on an old bus

and one on some old trains into Llangollen.

The car was a joy to be out and about in and must say she did me proud and looked great even in some fantastic company..sometimes you dont appreciate what you have?

One thing that struck me in this period of being new to vintage shows is the cost of the available food and drink..extortionate and not always great quality.
I dug out my old Stanley Aladdin flask and filled it after pre warming it. Some 2 in 1 coffee sachets and I was set.
First cuppa was steaming, the next, about an our later was luke warm Sad
Those regulars I spoke with were really well set up, many had neat little shelters and small gas cookers. Hot brews and bacon buttys were the norm..
So, popped to a camping superstore on my way home and bought some essentials

This:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/product-reviews/bistro-300-stove-p262518

and a lightweight frying pad, kettle, low alloy folding table/stand and some anti slip matting.
Plan is to still fill the flask with hot water to cut down on the boiling time.
So, apart from maybe sorting a lightweight shelter out, I reckon the next outings will be both a better dining experience along with being a lot easier on the pocket Very Happy. (once the investment is recouped...lol)
Will also be used when I go out and about over the welsh hills.

Kev
Journer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's looking grand. Wink
kevin2306

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Journer wrote:

Thank you, hows are your exploits coming on?

Kev
Journer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin2306 wrote:
Journer wrote:

Thank you, hows are your exploits coming on?

Kev

Well so far so good. Didn't make the car show because of rain and on top of that my own daily use car was rear ended so I have been dealing with the clowns at the insurance which has been a pantomime.

What insurer do you use for your Vogue?
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned earlier in this blog, after removing the '80s Pye cassette player and the Radiomobile 8 track player (all bubble wrapped and boxed safely), I fitted my period Sony 7f-74dl radio set..

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sony_7f74dl7_f_74_d.html

After fitting it, whilst it was removed to fit some new batteries, I noticed a series of female jack plugs on the side. Got a suitable lead and found that I could actually play my music stored on my Iphone through it..result!
Worked fine but the original speakers were past their best.hissing and crackling.

As a tight git, Ive kept my eye open on the Bay of E for some bargains and last week such Items were purchased

This:

and these:

The single, bass speaker was a direct swap, even the mounting holes matched up.
To fit the 2 side speaker, I made some mdf mounting plates. these were fixed to the under-side of the rear shelf, the speakers then fixed to them, quite neat and will suffice until the winter. All the original speaker grills were reused so apart from a great sound, nothing looks different.
All connectors were soldered and heat-shrunk to eliminate loose connections.
I am on the lookout for 2 chrome speaker grills, 9" x 6" to replace the Radiomobile black plastic items.

This coming winter, I will remove the rear shelf (clipped in) and fit the speakers with small bolts through the metal under-tray, I can the fit the new grills direct to the shelf boarding, wont look any different but the installation will be a lot cleaner.

To finish, I gave the car a wipe over and a quick polish. Tomorrow (Sunday) we are taking an elderly aunt to see her late Fathers grave in Oswestry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Whitfield

She adores the Singer and loves a spin out. After that I am booked into a '60s festival next Sunday at Llangollen Railway.

Kev
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More of a running report than anything, but attended a local show today, lovely early morning run up to the showground, must have been a heavy night for those who camped the weekend as every1 was either asleep or sat around looking tired.

Got to use my new Vango Tarp shelter which was great for a bit of relief from the sun and also got to use my new campingaz cooker for coffee and bacon baps...lovely and a lot cheaper than buying out...which was the point of investing.

So, sat there relaxing this morning, bit too quiet to be honest. remembered that the sony radio fitted in the Singer is designed to work as a portable set, got it out, tuned into Radio 2 and had an hour or 2 listening to some music

All in all a great day

Kev
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up early today, nothing planned so after having a look round to find any problems arising from the recent deluge of rain (koi pond filters etc), and after fixing a tyre puncture for my son, decided on an oil and filter change for the Singer.

Up to now, ive been running the car on a 20/50 generic, service garage oil that my good friend gets by the 25ltr drum. Does the job well and is ideal for situations where short intervals between changes are needed (ive used it more or less as a flushing oil, leaving about 100 mile between each change) as its quite cheap. I have changed the oil 8 times since I got the car out of her slumber last year, the initial few changes were filthy, flushing out a lot of crud no doubt, this last oil drop was nice and clean however.
This time Ive gone for a quality, classic oil from Morris Oils, along with a fresh filter. After a quick tootle around, the engine certainly seems to run very smooth on it, especially on tickover.

Kev
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from a 60 mile trip out and about.
The new oil really seems to suit the Singer, tickover is definitely sweeter and the oil pressure gauge is reading a little bit higher on the run and a bit higher still at tickover, so all in all a worthwhile upgrade.
The ride out was a lovely round trip, called in to a local National Trust House........Chirk Castle,

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/chirk-castle/

A lovely place and a chance for a quick pic

Kev
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 12 of 15

Jump to: