classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1965 Singer Vogue Mk3 re-commissioning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weather was dissapoingly wet this afternoon so cracked on with a little job.
I did a favour for a mate and in return (unexpectedly) he gave me these lovely Lucas spotlights

Stripped them right down and gave them a good clean flowed by some nice wax polish.
I've always liked this style of lamp so I am considering swapping them for the Lucas ones currently fitted to my Singer.

So, left spot or right spot?

Kev
Penman

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Is that 2 spots or 1 spot and 1 fog?

The lens pattern is different and I would have thought would give a different spread.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi
Is that 2 spots or 1 spot and 1 fog?

The lens pattern is different and I would have thought would give a different spread.

2 spots just different style. One on left is as fitted, right is the one I've been given. I have the matching fog lamp for the passenger side

Kev
Penman

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I was looking at the top (off vehicle) pair.

Straight 6
V8 V10
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi
I was looking at the top (off vehicle) pair.

Ah, one driving lamp and one fog. Seems quite common to fit them in pairs like that, in fact, the current spots are like that (on spot, one driving)

Kev
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic weather today so, after a lovely long walk along the Llangollen canal with my dogs, it was home to get my Singer out.
Went through Llangollen which was rammed packed due to a combination of glorious weather and a huge scooter rally (scooters were normal size but the gathering was large ) Very Happy

Seen a few classics, lots of classic bikes and scooters.

Had an email from a man today to say the 1965 Motorola radio I have bought off him has been finished (he restores them) and will be with me midweek so I will get the Sony unit out and the Motorola fitted. When I first got the Singer it had a modern unit (1980s radio cassette) fitted so I have a genuine Rootes under dash radio console unit to house the Motorola in.

Kev
kevin2306

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first got the Singer, it came with a centre mounted Pye radio cassette and under dash 8 track.
I removed these, carefully saving the genuine Roots centre consul.
Previously, I had bought a lovely Sony portable radio complete with a car fitting kit so it could be used either as a portable radio or a fitted radio in the car (to dodge the required radio license regs at the time I'm told)

Whilst it's a fine radio, unusual and also allowed me to plug my iPod in for music during the evening tootle, it wasn't the look I was after.

By chance, a few weeks ago I met a bloke who was very much into classic radios, we got talking and he told me he had a Motorola he was working on, in great condition (he changes a lot of parts tho..got a list if anyone is interested) and best of all, it was manufactured in 1965, same vintage as the Singer.
A deal was done and this afternoon I got it fitted.

Over the moon with how it looks and to be fair, using the lead he fitted, it plays my iPod and sounds every bit as good as the Sony (need to eBay that now)

Kev
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, despite the low temps and heavy snow today, I ventured into the garage.
I have the singer wired up to a smart charger which keeps the battery in good condition when not in use.
Plan was to turn the engine over a few times, after a period of rest, she takes a few cranks to fire up, pumped the throttle a few times, turned the key and she fired up, good oil pressure and very smooth so left her tick over and run up to temperature.
A few jobs to do before the good weather:
Full service inc brake check
New door glass seals (waisted seals?)
Good wax and polish.
Drop the gearbox sump and fit a new gasket, bit of a dilemma, do I change the filter? 2 schools of thought, one is to leave well alone the other is to change it. Any comments?

Spring in approaching.

Kev
kevin2306

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booked today off, up early and off to Chirk to get the Singer MOT'd.
Good inspection done, brakes tested and in good fettle and got the pass.
Just having a brew then off for a cruise.
Very friendly garage and you are ok to get under the car whilst it's on the ramp.
Noticed the exhaust is past it's best so will order a new one and get it done.

Just a few pics taken today for posterity

Kev
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not updated this for a while!
Had a decent driving season but missed attending my usual shows as we all have.
Been thinking of servicing the Singer before winter layup and decided the exhaust needs sorting.
I’ve not managed to find anywhere that has one for sale but came across the front and rear section, nos but for the estate. They were reasonable enough so bought them as I figured they may provide some useable sections.
The sections arrived so thought I would get under the car and work out a plan.
As luck would have it, the front section from manifold will fit perfectly, the rear was correct until it exits the rear box, luckily by getting a 6” repair section, cutting the rear pipe off and getting it all tig welded up I now have a complete exhaust which will be fitted in the next few weeks.
I’m also going to give it a full service inc brakes etc.
Another thing to sort are the front seats, the padding has become depleted and as a result the seat is uncomfortable. I am going to take the seats out and see what can be done.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking we hadn't heard about that lovely looking car for a while. It is satisfying when a plan works out. You were lucky finding n.o.s. exhaust parts after all this time! Sounds like an excellent solution.

I will be watching your seat repair with interest (if you post the progress reports) because I am going to be re covering my MG seat.
kevin2306

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One job I’ve to over the winter is to resolve the weep from the Borg Warner 35 sump.
I’ve previously tried a few types of gasket and also ensured the pan face is flat, it seems the process of bolting it up cases a slight bit of distortion hence the weep.
I’ve seen an item for sale online that is effectively a steel version of the gasket, it slots onto the outside of the pan and claims to cure the leak, it works as a clamp I’d say.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114832615997?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338723872&toolid=20006&customid=dDK3yIsMAAAAF9ehUhcFbp_ch9EMAAAAAA

Not sure if the link above works.
Any thoughts and comments?

Thanks

Kev[/img]
Penman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is presumably using the same holes through the sump pan and into the block and heaver gauge steel should be less likely to warp/distort.
I wonder if it is also worth while to tighten down using diagonals like we are advised to on wheels.
or perhaps centre of the long sides alternatively towards front and back.
ie centre R - centre L, R forward one, L backwards one, R backwards one, L forwards one etc etc.

Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a good investment to me. If it works as intended you can't ask for more.

I have always used 'Wellseal' A sealing product developed by Rolls Royce. (I still have a tube from when it was produced by Kenilworth Manufacturing)IT is now called 'Stag Wellseal'.

Be warned... Sticky brown stuff that gets everywhere and is difficult to get off your fingers!!

I am sure you don't need me to tell you to be careful not to over tighten the bolts. I would find out what the torque value is and stick to it.
kevin2306

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray, is wellseal a gasket sealant?
Being an auto box I’ve not put any sealant on the joint, just a smear of Vaseline to keep things in place, good advice on the torque settings.

Kev
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: