classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1954 Ford Popular 103e
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a lovely car with a good story behind it. Its great to still see cars like this coming to light.
JR FLYWHEEL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: 1954 Popular 103E. Reply with quote

Hello,

It's great to see another 'Pop' saved.

I've owned my car for the last 21 years, and i work on it time permitting.

The Ford sidevalve owners club are good, and they have a strong following in the north. You will find a few more 'Pop's on here too, there are a great many knowledgeable people who post regular on this forum. It certainly is a gold mine of information.

Good luck with your project, and please keep us posted on progress.

Flywheel-(John)
JR FLYWHEEL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Ford Popular Reply with quote

Hi, Here is a photo of my 'Pops' steering wheel, i think you will find it's the same as fitted to your own car.

Thanks

JRF
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic car there JRF - is there a thread running for it already?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
JR FLYWHEEL

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Ford Popular Reply with quote

Hi Rick,

Thanks, My car is on here, but it's been a while since i've posted.

I've always liked these cars and remember them when i was a kid.( my school teacher had one.)

I admire anyone who wants to improve their car, and i hope we hear more from the poster of this thread. I'm always keen to learn from other people on how they have solved their problems.

I do find this interesting so please,keep this thread updated, i'm sure other people want to know how you are getting on with your project.

Regards.

Flywheel ( john)
Mahoney54

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afternoon all!
Sorry for not keeping you all updated, not much progress at the moment.. But so far..
We've managed to gain access into the boot (eventually!).. Found some old car parts, not pop related, and an old bike battery! Lock on boot has now been changed, so we have a working boot again!

We took the back seat out, mainly to see what kind of condition it was in underneath, not too bad, but someone (unknown who!) has done some rather bad welding underneath, seems solid though!

And finally.. The starter motor! Still no life, just smoke.. So we've taken that off, and shall be attempting some time soon, to get it working or see if it needs replacing, we've also taken the carb off (if I remember rightly! Still learning, so if pictures don't match, no laughing at me! Sad aha!) mainly to gain some access to the valves.. Again, we shall be trying to free them off soon!

But as we speak, I'm currently just wire brushing the wheels down, getting some of the little jobs done, whilst the mechanic behind this operation is at his first job Smile hehe!

URL=http://s115.photobucket.com/user/marnirara/media/image-14.jpg.html][/URL]

The little helper for today! Smile

Here's a question for everyone, what is the official colour of The Pop? Logbook (original and current!) both just say blue! Any idea's on which one? There's lots!!

Charlotte! Smile
D4B

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Charlotte,

I would imagine that is the original blue colour inside the boot, so if no one has any better ideas, find a piece from in there that you can take to your local paint factors, and ask to see their old ford colour chips, then choose the blue closest to that (make sure you are standing outdoors in natural daylight when you choose tho)

They should be able to then mix you some cellulose paint and even put some in aerosol tins for you too....

good luck
Mahoney54

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks D48.. Shall try that when we get round to spraying it.. But after some further investigation this afternoon we have 2 stuck valves!

The one on the right hand side will move with a push.. But the one on the left has no go in it, moved the rest fine with starting handle!
We've squirted abit of wd40 on them, and left them for now (all covered back up!)
Anyone else has any ideas or suggestions on how to free them off completely?

Thanks, Charlotte Smile
roverdriver

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Charlotte,

If you remove the spark plugs from the offending cylinders, you should be able to get a tool into the cylinder to apply downward pressure to the top of the stuck valve.

I would suggest first squirting copious amounts of penetrating oil onto the upper part of the valve stem through the manifold passageway. Also make sure that the cam follower is descended away from the valve stem before trying to lever the valve.

I used the method many years ago on a Model A Ford, which has many similarities. I used a bent screwdriver shaft, testing and bending a few times to get the right amount of bend into the right place.

If you get a little downward movement, then douse with more penetrating oil, use the crank handle to turn the engine so that the camshaft and cam follower push the valve to the fully open position again. A few up and down movements should get the valve working properly.

The condition of the tappet chest suggests to me that the general condition of this part of the engine is quite good, so I would expect that the valves will free without too much effort.

CAUTION- this will work on not-too-firmly stuck valves. try to apply the downward pressure from the center of the valve head, and don't get too much pressure on it, you don't want to bend the valve stem. Be careful that your lever doesn't damage the thread of the spark plug opening.

Good luck!
Dane.
JohnDale

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mahoney54 wrote:
Thanks D48.. Shall try that when we get round to spraying it.. But after some further investigation this afternoon we have 2 stuck valves!

Thanks, Charlotte Smile

Hi Charlotte, It would appear you have more than two stuck valves. If you look at the right hand one you have marked & then look at the next one to the left it is completely clear of the cam follower, a lot more than just valve clearance,cheers,JD.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding colours, Bill Ballard's book (English & Australian Small Fords Recognition & Restoration) lists Norwich Blue for the 103E (1956-1959, paint code M), Richmond Blue (1957-1959, code AA), and Winchester Blue (1953-1957, code H). All cars have silver aluminium colour wheels.

Well worth picking up a copy of this book IMHO.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Bill Ballards book is a good read and reference for any sidevalve Ford enthusiast.
Mahoney54

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afternoon all... So, for the last few hours, me and the mechanic (Dad!) have been trying to get The Pop going.. Slight problem though..
The distributor is stuck, and I mean stuck.. Brute force isn't moving it, we've tried wd40, to even just loosen it, and nope.. It's not budging!!
So any idea's? Anybody else had this problem?

Cheers, Charlotte Smile
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
WD isn't a penetrating oil, if you don't have any penetrating oil or plusgas, try putting some diesel round the area where it goes through the head.
It could be that the drive peg (or whatever you call it) is stuck in the slot on the shaft up from the camshaft, alternatively this one might have a cam gear running direct off the camshaft, I don't know which system it is.
Since slacking off the distributor clamp have you given it a tap to see if it will move round
Then put a big spanner on the starting handle nut so that you can turn the crank in either direction one of you wiggle the crank back and forth while the other tries to twist and pull the distributor.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Mahoney54

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afternoon.. We've loosened off the clamp, but it will not budge! We've tried prying it up a screw driver (probably not the best!!) we've hit with a hammer, we've even tried heating up the metal to free it off, but nothing!

Does anyone know if they are held in place anywhere else, other than the spring clamp? Mechanic is slowly losing more hair over this!! 😣

Many thanks
Charlotte Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: