classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1954 Ford Popular 103e
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dizzy clamp is secured with a single screw into the top of the head if I remember right, it's used during the final set up of the timing. If you can't get the dizzy out of the clamp, try undoing the screw and see if the dizzy with clamp, will lift out?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Mahoney54

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fine.. We've FINALLY got it out!!
Lots of gentle bashing with a hammer and some 3in1 oil got it out.. It was seized around the oil seal!!

One distributor.. Removed Very Happy

Charlotte! Smile
safechief

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Great pics how did you upload them please. Want to post some of mine
D4B

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

safechief wrote:
Hi, Great pics how did you upload them please. Want to post some of mine

Hi Safechief,

Try this: http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2454

hope it helps Cool
Mahoney54

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afternoon all

So once again, we are having an afternoon of trying to fix The Pop.. And we are stuck!
After finally getting it ready to take the cylinder head off, to sort things out.. The cylinder head is stuck!
Any idea's on what to do? Light to moderate tapping hasn't worked, we've tried feeding rope down one of the spark plug holes to block it, and force it open!

Any help would be great!
Thanks Smile
Charlotte!
Mahoney54

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok! So panic over..
We managed to get it off.. With a little persuasion, we used cold chisels and prised it off.. No damage was caused!!

So here it is, it's off.. No too bad considering it hasn't been used in 40years or so!!
We gave one of the pistons a quick wipe over with some wd40 and a clean cloth, and it came up abit better!

Not much achieved today, but a little at a time Smile
Also trivial but, order some new clips for the metal trims on the front, and some bumper gromits aswell.. Ours look like they've spent the summer in Mexico, and melted!!

Next task, to free off the three stuck valves!! As you may be able to see in the picture, there is 3 that don't want to move!!
Any suggestions on freeing them off? Before the mad mechanic decides to do his usual trick of just going for it!!

Thanks
Charlotte Smile
roverdriver

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Charlotte, nice to see the progress.

My suggestion re the valves is this- choose your valve, turn the engine until the selected valve's cam follower is as far down as it will go. Squirt a suitable penetrating oil into the cavity under the valve head, through the manifold port, so it coats the exposed part of the valve stem, and hopefully starts to run down between the stem and the guide. Use a small piece of wood laid squarely onto the valve head, and tap very gently with a hammer. The valve should start to close a little. Turn the engine over again to lift the valve back to where it was, make sure you turn to have the cam follower all the way down, dose and tap again. Repeat until the valve returns to the closed position by its own spring pressure. Repeat on the next valve.

Beware that if excess force is used, the two-piece valve guides can become multi-piece ones. When the time comes to remove the guides, a special tool is required.
Mahoney54

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Roverdriver!!
I may attempt this tomorrow (without the aid of the mechanic!) we did squirt some wd40 down the top of the stuck valves.. But shall try again tomorrow! Weather permitting anyway Smile
Shall let you all know how I get on, and if the mechanics help was needed!!

Many thanks
Charlotte Smile
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A drop of diesel does a good job of freeing things off too.

While the head's off, it might be worth checking that it's totally flat, and having it skimmed at a machine shop if not.

To remove the valves entirely requires use of a special tool.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Mahoney54

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shall have to try and source some diesel.. All our normal cars run petrol unfortunately, but is worth a try!!
Ahh shall pass that info onto the mechanic when he's home from work, in all honesty I wouldn't have a clue if it needed that or not! (Still learning!!)
Don't think he wants to remove the valves, just get them moving freely..
Plus, trying to spend as little as possibly, unless absolutely needed, till we know it will run Smile

Shall keep you all updated on how we get on, if the mechanic is playing after work!!

Charlotte Smile
roverdriver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note- WD40 is a Water Dispersant brew, and although it might free stuck bits occasionally, that is not what it is designed to do.

In the absence of Diesel fuel as a 'free-er upper', try Auto Transmission Fluid. Especially a mix of 50/50 ATF and Acetone. The acetone helps the ATF to penetrate into the sticky zone.
kevin2306

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plus gas is what i always use
have some in aerosols and some in an old fashioned trigger oilcan

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/eac-plus-gas-400ml-dismantling-lubricant--p30700

kev
Mahoney54

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afternoon all..
So the mechanics in work till 3.30, so I thought.. There must be something I can do, even if something small!
So what I've done is clean the pistons! As you can see from the pictures above, they weren't too bad, but now they're much better!

Currently waiting for some eac plus gas to turn up! So using 3in1 oil to try an free off the valves.. Which are very stuck!! Have attempted to lightly tap them with a small block of wood on top, but no movement! Sad
Someone somewhere is making life difficult for us.. Or they just don't want this car running!!
Shall let you all know later on (when the mechanic is home!) how we've got on.. IF we've got on anymore!!

Charlotte Smile
Mahoney54

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I retract that last comment of they're well and truly stuck.. And I replace it with, maybe I should of just tapped them abit harder!!! All 3 stuck valves are now moving, but will only come up, they won't go back down with the crank handle!

Hmm.. Any help?
I'm completely lost, and with the mechanic not due back for another 30mins, I'm at an end with it now!!

Charlotte Smile
Mahoney54

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evening all.. So 5mins before the mechanic came home, I managed to get 2 out of 3 valves moving up and down by the crank handle! The 3rd didn't want to play!!
After the mechanic tinkered about for 5 or so mins, he managed to get the third moving properly! All well and good for now.. New head gasket arrived on Thursday morning, so that will be getting fitted soon, and then we'll see how we get on from there!
But sadly, after tidying all the engine away for another day.. We decided to just have a look at the head lining inside, and we've discovered a leak!! So that is next on the "To be fixed" list!!

Charlotte Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: