classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Garage heater..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories
billykan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Garage heater.. Reply with quote

Hi everyone..

Getting my garage ready for winter, so i can work on the Ford Y through the winter..
So Looking to buy a heater for the garage..

Looked at the Hiton hp -115 Waste oil heater?. Any good?
Anyone on here got one?, heard of them or rate them?

Any recommendation's for a garage heater guy's

Thank's.
Billykan
kevin2306

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have one of these:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/little-devil-propane-fired-space-heater

fantasic heater and keeps you toasty on the coldest of days

just bought one of these as well for when im painting (dry heat, no condensation)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INFRA-RED-HEATER-240V-CT105-HALOGEN-/190930862490?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c745dc19a

used it a few times in the last weeks on the damp days and that too has been great!

i do quite fancy a log burner though as i can get free logs through work and the cost of them has come down a lot.

kev
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, no experience of waste oil heaters, but if you have good supply of waste oil sounds as if it would make sense.

Dave
billykan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fancy a log burner but the thought of it burning away at night after you have finshed in the garage, when in bed puts me off..

Plus with the oil heater you can burn diesel and waste oil and have more control over the heating.. Plus years with free used oil,
Heater would pay its self off, in the long run..
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Garage heater.. Reply with quote

billykan wrote:

Looked at the Hiton hp -115 Waste oil heater?. Any good?
Anyone on here got one?, heard of them or rate them?

Any recommendation's for a garage heater guy's

Thank's.
Billykan

Hi Billy,

I too would be happy to heat my garage with waste oil but paying well over £1000 for a Hiton I'd be cheaper with electric fan heaters!

Peter Shocked
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth remembering that many / all local authorities will, officially, require you to purchase a special licence to use a heater that burns waste oil - all in the interests of protecting the environment, of course, and nothing at all to do with paying the council's top brass telephone-number salaries... Of course you could do it quietly and say nowt, but if you're belching out black smoke or smelly fumes on a regular basis then chances are someone locally is going to grass you up fairly soon. I don't know how good these things are for smoke or fumes, but I'd hazard a guess that something burning dirty old oil isn't going to be as clean as a heater that runs on electricity or gas.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest do garages have to pay to have waste oil disposed of ?

Dave
RUSTON

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:

Dave

A lot have their own oil heaters Dave so it isn't a problem! Wink

Pete.
Dobbin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKDAVE2002 To answer your question yes. The old saying 'where theres muck theres brass' is correct.
Businesses are required to monitor and control all waste leaving their premises and must ensure they only used registered waste carriers. All waste is identified by the unique code known as an EWC or European Waste Code http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/static/documents/Business/low_guide_v1.2_1397222.pdf
Having dealt with waste management in the past it can be a very expensive business to correctly dispose of waste streams. A 205L drum of used oil filters via a national waste management company costs approx £75 to dispose off. So remember that when you see environmental charges on your garage bill or when you get new tyres.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dobbin wrote:
UKDAVE2002 To answer your question yes. The old saying 'where theres muck theres brass' is correct.
Businesses are required to monitor and control all waste leaving their premises and must ensure they only used registered waste carriers. All waste is identified by the unique code known as an EWC or European Waste Code http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/static/documents/Business/low_guide_v1.2_1397222.pdf
Having dealt with waste management in the past it can be a very expensive business to correctly dispose of waste streams. A 205L drum of used oil filters via a national waste management company costs approx £75 to dispose off. So remember that when you see environmental charges on your garage bill or when you get new tyres.

Thanks Dobbin

I was thinking if garages had to pay to take waste oil away, they would only be too keen to give it away, and we would have a cheap way to heat our own workshops! but alas that wont be the case with all the legislation !

Our local tyre shop manager was telling me of a scam; it costs them about 50p per tyre to dispose of old tyres, there was a firm came round saying that they could do it for 20p per tyre....it turns out that this bunch had hired a farmers barn, got a load of business from tyre shops, filled the barn to the brim with old tyres and then buggered off!...the farmer was left out of pocket for unpaid rent, but also had the cost of disposing of several thousand tyres Shocked

Dave
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Dobbin wrote:

Thanks Dobbin

I was thinking if garages had to pay to take waste oil away, they would only be too keen to give it away, and we would have a cheap way to heat our own workshops! but alas that wont be the case with all the legislation !

Our local tyre shop manager was telling me of a scam; it costs them about 50p per tyre to dispose of old tyres, there was a firm came round saying that they could do it for 20p per tyre....it turns out that this bunch had hired a farmers barn, got a load of business from tyre shops, filled the barn to the brim with old tyres and then buggered off!...the farmer was left out of pocket for unpaid rent, but also had the cost of disposing of several thousand tyres Shocked

Dave

That's happened several times around South Wales too, only on a larger scale - the crooks "rent" massive empty factories and warehouses, fill them to the rafters with tyres then clear off. Sad to say there's no shortage of empty factories and warehouses for them to target after decades of economic mismanagement Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
winchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:

Dave

Yes and no, depends on the current price of used oil, some places clean it up and sell it some burn it for heat / electricity.
You should issue a waste disposal notice to the person who gives it to you, you may also need a waste carriers licence to transport it.
I have a paraffin heater its excellent
http://www.dry-it-out.com/KSP-270
I was lucky it was £4 from a car boot sale!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: