classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Austin Seven bonnet hinge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
petermeachem

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Austin Seven bonnet hinge Reply with quote

This is on a 34 Ruby. I just cannot get the top hinge pin out. The side ones were fine, one of the top bits of bonnet rotates easily on the pin and the other side rotates with the pin.
It's not welded together is it, I can't see any evidence? I wouldn't have thought so but it doesn't shift at all. Not that easy to get a grip on the pin in a vice, the bonnet gets in the way
colwyn500

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's anything like my Ten of the same vintage, I seem to remember leaving the actual pin/hinge assembly alone and bending back a tab to slide all the stainless-steel parts of the hinge which act by friction to grip the bent over flange of the actual bonnet steel itself.

KNO_5037 by peterthompson, on Flickr
petermeachem

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks different. http://www.flickr.com/photos/halgate/5453388545/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/halgate/5453392139/in/photostream/

On the Ruby the steel fingers are folded alternately round the hinge pin. Swear it is welded. Painting will be a nuisance

Check out the guy's pictures, shows you what happens if you don't keep an eye on your saw.
I removed half a finger nail today with a poly disc, I had to take the safety guard off the angle grinder and the disc was too thick. After that I put my gardening gloves on.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you have limited choices then. You could go the usual heat and penetrating oil route. Try tapping with a tiny quarter drive socket on an extension to avoid the pin wandering off target.
There are advantages to not dismantling because re-assembling after painting can be fraught with problems.
Good luck and don't get mad with it.

PS Keep those gloves on.
petermeachem

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking that painting and then putting the pin back in might be tricky, bound to chip the paint. I think I'll leave it in and see how it goes. Penetrating oil hasn't helped at all.
You are right about the gloves, angle grinders need a bit of respect. The little one is not too bad. I've got a 230mm one, 2nd hand to me but originally from Argos. Very effective but a very dangerous machine, could do you a lot of damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: