classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Start of Morris Eight 8 Series one Tourer recommisioning
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Timstopp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Start of Morris Eight 8 Series one Tourer recommisioning Reply with quote

Hi I thought I should share a few photos of a car I recently acquired from an elderly friend of mine. The car was restored in the late eighties/early nineties but has slowly deteriorated until my friend took it mostly to pieces, which is how it is now. I have spent some time fettling, restoring, painting and reacquiring all the parts. The car is nearly ready for reassembly - so I may have some questions! The last part was to check over the engine (rebuilt 3000 miles ago - so presumed good) when I dropped it - but that is another story in another post.
I hope the photos make sense and are of interest and over the next month or so as I reassemble I will post more interesting ones of the car getting better
As retrieved from Orchard in late 80s

How it looked in early 90's after first restoration

When I acquired it

Well its a start - generator before and after

Front wings before and after

Tub in light Blue/gray and door

Dash before and after

The interior is all more or less done. It has a good hood, cover and tonneau and I have done much work, such as re-coating the steering wheel using plasitcote, converting to a 4 speed box, rebuilding one of the front seat squabs (water damage) etc It needs reassembling (using the huge tub of unsorted nuts and bolts!!) ,the head replacing, 2 new tyres and I am set for some fun summer motoring........all comments and suggestions welcome
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the photos, a very neat project that'll result in something very pleasant to pootle about in. Do you have a 1930s choke cable/knob and fuel gauge to fit on the dash at a later point?

PS The finish on the front wings looks fab.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Timstopp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A man with an eye for detail:)

I hope you noticed that the petrol gauge does have the correct chrome bezel profile though.....
Both parts came from my old Bond/Herald/ Vitesse parts stock. I will replace with more period items if I can find them (Morris is 12 volt now)

Thanks for the comment on the wings, I was a bit worried that people may not like them as they should be black. The Morris is already a non original colour, and has been several others since it left the factory in sporty black over black. I already have a black car so something more jolly was called for.

My main focus at the moment is finding a new cylinder head Sad

Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timstopp wrote:
A man with an eye for detail:)
I hope you noticed that the petrol gauge does have the correct chrome bezel profile though.....
Both parts came from my old Bond/Herald/ Vitesse parts stock....

Smile I nearly mentioned that it looked similar to the gauge I had in my '67 Spitfire many moons ago!

How do numbers of surviving 4-seat M8 tourers compare with the 2-seat? just curious.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim

I think it will look grand in those colours Smile , do you have any pictures of the wood frame during restoration ? I'm hoping to start my tourer restoration next year, and the frame will need some work !

It's the engine on this car may provide you with a head!

Dave
Timstopp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave
Thanks - wow that looks so familiar - sporting black over black......... I have the frame (Wooden, rather than an american chassis) all exposed at the moment - are there any particular areas of interest - or would you just like me to photo al of it and the joints?
It all looks fairly simple - but I have thought that before and been very very wrong Very Happy
Rosco663

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gidday Tim,

Great work to date Exclamation I am sure a cylinder head will show up just a matter of dedicated hunting Cool

I'm in the same boat with Dave - very interested in the wooden framing. Particularly the type of joints used and how many screws they fire into them to keep it all together.

I reckon I will be getting close to exposing my frame in early February so a heads up would be well appreciated. Although the frame on mine is of Australian construction it would be quite interesting to see the differences. I have noticed that TM8 (Trevor) has gone quiet and he has a South African one that he has done the frame on as well.

Ah the challenges of vintage coachwork....... Cool

Cheers
TribalElder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car is looking good Exclamation

Can't wait until it is on the road.

It's hard to run like an Emu
When you are girt by Numbats
hunsta

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking work so far. Interesting to see it from the 80`s to the 90`s and now.
Bob T

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim,
I am due to pick up a 2 seater later this week or next week. I think there may well be a spare head with it, in which case I may well be able to help you out.
I live near Sudbury and so I assume you are local to me.
I will be looking at putting a 4 speed box in my new project, so maybe we can help each other out. Did you do the conversion yourself?
I already have another thread :
http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9801

give me a couple of days and I will get back to you about the head if you are still looking.
Bob T
Timstopp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will take lots of photos of the frame for any one who wants them. I am in touch with Bob now, and can confirm that the 4 speed conversion was/is being done by myself with the exception of machining the input shaft of the Se gearbox ALSO - bits back from cheap chrome works Smile

ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim

Chrome looks good Smile

Re the 4 speed box, why are you having the input shaft machined?

Dave
Rosco663

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timstopp wrote:
I will take lots of photos of the frame for any one who wants them. I am in touch with Bob now, and can confirm that the 4 speed conversion was/is being done by myself with the exception of machining the input shaft of the Se gearbox ALSO - bits back from cheap chrome works Smile

That is a serious amount of Bling there Tim Very Happy It is the first time I have ever seen chrome headlight buckets on an 8. Can't wait to see the final fit up and test drive.

Cheers
Timstopp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: engine and update and manifold Reply with quote

Just an update really - engine rebuilt/fettled and ready to go back in (thanks to Bob from Bures for the head)- even if in wrong colour apparently. I should have read the threads first!

Note home made mounts as the Morris 8 club were unable to supply them .

The casting for the inlet manifold was much rougher than I expected and required some grinding to get it to match the head ports

and ground

I need to mate the gearbox to the engine - this is a 4 speed box and the prelim work was done some years ago - my memory is not what it was. I have been reading some very interesting and informative threads and think I am going to be OK, but we shall see the weekend after next when it is all fitted back into the car Smile
Timstopp

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: catch up Reply with quote

|So I see I never posted pictures of the finished car - have been enjoying driving for some years now, hope you all like it, 4 speed, sorted engine, very sporty until I get to a corner Smile
https://photos.app.goo.gl/G5R4FSDTBYj5rBwV8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/pFj3JnDz4vCyRdhw6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cPHH5Phq2RVQ9Bzc7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: